Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dining Alone (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dining-alone-865772/)

Missi40 Nov 6th, 2010 08:07 PM

Dining Alone

Traveling to DC for a few days. I'll be alone and was looking for great restaurants that welcome the single diner. I'm staying in Dupont Circle so I assume I can get anywhere easily. Thanks for the tips!

AAFrequentFlyer Nov 7th, 2010 04:27 AM

Can't help you with recommendations but I would think ANY restaurant will welcome you. Been to many restaurants all over the world by myself and never felt I wasn't welcome.

DebitNM Nov 7th, 2010 04:56 AM

We stayed at Dupont Hotel in August and there are literally dozens and dozens of places to eat in Dupont Circle area and lots of them are cafe type places and I am sure you will find a plethora of spots to choose from.

Missi40 Nov 7th, 2010 11:14 AM

thanks all! just checked into the palomar... looks like i'll find many places.

MoonGirl Nov 7th, 2010 12:22 PM

There is certainly no shortage of nearby restaurants, and I agree with others that you'll be welcome in all. Also, fyi, the in your hotel, Urbana, is supposed to be quite good, with a good happy hour, I think, though I haven't been there myself. But that said, here are a few (very different) options that spring to mind off the top of my head:

"foodie" options:

Heritage India -- specializes in "small plates"- Indian street food with a fusion twist; there is a large comfortable bar area in addition to a large dining room

Al Tiramisu, which is on the street of your hotel, has quite wonderful Italian food -- fancier than the others I've mentioned above -- but the space is quite small -- you might want to poke your head in to see what kind of table is available. (Sometimes when eating alone I like to have a little bit of breathing room).

Also a bit of a further walk, but worthwhile, to Q and 17th streets: Hank's Oyster Bar -- small, neighborhood favorite with delicious fresh seafood

More casual:

Kramer Books and Afterwords (attached to a lively bookstore)

Luna Grill -- diner-like comfort food with lots of vegetarian options

Teaism -- order at the counter, nice for tea and/or light meals

Zorba's: super casual, order-at-the counter type place but with great hospitality and delicious Greek food

Pizza Paradiso (down the street from your hotel)

Missi40 Nov 7th, 2010 08:21 PM

Thanks. So tired on my first night I ended up with room service, which was surprisingly good.
Noticed Zorba's and Kramer as I wandered today;
Tomorrow I'm staying awake! Although after my exploring you never know. So much I want to do/see!

happytrailstoyou Nov 8th, 2010 06:21 AM

Were I in your position I would explore some of MoonGirls' casual options.

HTTY

DebitNM Nov 8th, 2010 07:09 AM

We had dinner at Hanks, very good indeed.

obxgirl Nov 8th, 2010 07:31 AM

I love Heritage India. Think Hank's is super. Would add Lalibela, ethiopian cuisine if you're a fan, at 14th and P.

obxgirl Nov 8th, 2010 08:45 AM

After a thought, since you asked about single dining, I'll add this about Hank's. It's small, often packed to the gills with a line even on a weeknight and deservedly so. I am pretty sure they still don't take bookings. I'm great with solo dining but I wouldn't probably opt for Hank's if I had to wait for any length of time to get a table.

There are many great opportunities to dine well in DC. Have a great trip.