Search

Westward, HO!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westward, HO!

We are 2 families doing a 2 week YNP, GTNP, GCNP trip ending up in Las Vegas this summer ( late July-August). My questions are for the middle of the trip. We have to drive from Jackson WY down to Utah/AZ. My thought had been to stop in Park City and do the Olympic Park ( on a Friday ). The kids are 16, 13(2) and 8 yo boys and 11 yo girl. I've seen mention of an Arts festival in Park City the first weekend of August. Will the area be very crowded? Snowbird seems to have similar rides; is this a better choice? One Fodorite mentioned several water parks in a post ( Lagoon and Raging Waters/Seven Peaks). Are they in this area? Also, Zion or Bryce with the kids? We don't have time to do both.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Donna,
I wouldn't try to pack too much into a trip with five kids. All the things you mentioned sound like good things to keep in your bag of tricks, but realize how beautiful it is in the Rockies and southwest. Just driving through it is pretty darned cool.

Don't sweat the schedule, and keep your options open. Stick with what works.

Dan
www.familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Hi Donna,

I live in Park City and yes it would be a great stop for a day and night. Your kids would love the Olympic Park and the other rides at the bottom of Park City Mtn Resort in town.

Yes, the first weekend in Aug is the Arts Festival, but your group might really enjoy this too. Besides very excellent (and expensive) art, there is lots of great food booths from the restaurants and fun live music, no extra charge. There is lots of traffic, but if you are staying in town, just hop the free shuttle bus and go anywhere you want, including the Olympic Park. No parking problems.

There are also Utah Symphony concerts outdoors at Deer Valley, usually on a Sat night. You can take your own picnic and "beverage of choice."

Too bad you don't have time for both Bryce and Zion. Zion will be in the 100 degree range. Do your walks/hikes EARLY and then spend the afternoon in the pool or tubing on the Virgin River outside the Natl Park. Do a search here using those key words for details from others who have done it.

Bryce would be much cooler since it's at 8,000 ft. Usually in the low to mid 80s at that time of year. Bryce has a great horseback ride down into the canyon that must be booked through the Natl Park. The Ruby's hotel ride doesn't go into the Natl Park.

Zion will be more on your way.

Write back if you have more questions!

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Donna,

Snowbird is a good option too, but for other reasons. All their lodges have pools and there are some things to do there, but not as much as in Park City. The major advantage of going to Snowbird would be to hike in the Albion Basin at nextdoor Alta. The wildflowers in mid-July are beyond description. This is where all the calendar pictures are taken! Plus, it's realively easy hiking, considering it's at 9,000 ft.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Dayle, thanks for your help! Our worry about the Olympic Park is the ages of the kids and how much they would be allowed to do. Also, both husbands and my 13 yo son will be 6'3" ( or more, he's growing so fast! ) and 250+ lbs so that might limit them as well. What is the deal with the Adventure playground on the website? I checked that out late last summer and it still seems to be under construction. Zion vs. Bryce - my plans for Zion were like what you mentioned. The horseback rides at Bryce are not an option for us because they have weight limits ( 200-225 same as GC ). Would the kids be bored just seeing the hoodoos? I know I am going to have to plan a trip for DH and I to really see them all!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 03:46 AM

we took the horseback ride at Bryce with my 9 and 11 year olds and they loved it.
Two yars later, they still talk about seeing the hoodoos.

Melissa
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Melissa, did you go to Zion also? Since the horseback riding is not an option for us, I wonder if it will be as interesting for the kids. This is a major sightseeing trip so I want to make sure that there are some fun activities included too ( like the river tubing ). Has anyone done the jeep tours in Zion?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Hi again Donna,

If you kids enjoy hiking and amazing natural beauty, maybe photography too, then they should enjoy hiking down into the canyon at Bryce. Walking among the hoodoos is very cool.

Yes, there are weight limits for the zip lines, but not the Apline Slides at the various areas. Can't say about the "Adventure Park" at Olympic Park, I'm not familiar with it.

However, if you are there on a Saturday, be sure to get advance tickets to the Aerial Freestyle show the athletes put on at noon. It rocks and your kids will love it. You will too!

Lots going on in town in the summer.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we will be there on Friday! Some of the reasons I was leaning towards Zion is that we will be driving for 2 days ( 5 hrs each ) to get there and it was on the way to
GCNP. I know we are not going to be able to do it all justice. Plus the river tubing looked like fun for the kids ( and me! ).
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:15 AM

The tubing (just outside the park) near Zion is fun for all ages. My boys really loved it when they were young and back then you were allowed to do it in the park. We would bring our own tubes and spend a week in Zion. Now you actually start right across from one of the Campgrounds in Zion so you see some of the park as you float.

Even if you don't do the tubing, you can play in the Virgin River to keep cool during the hot days of summer.

Both parks have beautiful views and lots of hiking trails. Our favorite is Zion but others prefer Bryce. It's really hard to say which park someone will like better than the other.

Utahtea
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Utahtea! I've read alot of your previous posts. Is it too far out of the way to visit Bryce for 1/2 day on the way to GCNP? My working itinerary was arrive at Zion mid-afternoon and just hang out by the pool. Day 2 would be possibly a Slot canyon tour followed by river tubing. Day 3 would be am hiking then drive to GCNP taking scenic breaks along the way. I'm trying to work around the hot weather and all of the driving we'll be doing.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM

If you are going to the South Rim, NO, you really don't have enough time to add Bryce unless you want to spend ALL day in the vehicle driving and getting just a glimps of Bryce. If you are going to the North Rim, then if you skipped the hiking that morning in Zion, you could make it.

Utahtea
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

We are going to the South Rim. I planned to drive around making stops to see things along the way. I figured the detour to Bryce would be 2/3 of a day at least. Our second day will be a full day at the South Rim. I'm also trying to stay 2 days in hotels rather than changing every day ( with all those kids! ).
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM

I think I would skip Bryce on this trip. From Zion to S. Rim, you can stop at Lake Powell and let the kids go for a swim in the lake and/or do the Upper Antelope Slot canyon tour only takes 1 1/2 hour and/or the Glen Canyon Dam tour and/or do a 1 1/2 hour boat tour on Lake Powell and/or do the short 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend. http://www.lakepowell.com/plan_your_trip.php

Another thing to keep keep in mind for the day you travel to the South Rim. You will be entering the park at the Desert View entrance. There are many wonderful scenic overlooks to stop at before you reach the Grand Canyon Village. You will want to make the stops on the way in instead of wasting time going back the next day.

Utahtea
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea, I have 2 questions. Have you ever stayed in Kanab? Would that be a good choice to try and see both or I am pushing it with all of the extra car time ( with the kids ). I want them to enjoy this and not feel like they are being dragged around all the time. Also, with the heat ( and my less active friends ) limiting the hiking etc., how much time would we need at the Grand Canyon? I figured leaving Zion late morning to drive along the North Rim making stops along the way. Then doing the shuttle on the second day around the South Rim.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Don't miss a hike with kids in Bryce among the hoo-doos!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM

Hi Donna,

Whoah!...I didn't realize you were planning on going to the North Rim AND the South Rim of the Grand Canyon? I don't think you realize the distances and kinds of roads you will be driving on. While it's only 335 miles from Springdale though the Zion Tunnel to the North Rim and then around to the South Rim, it's going to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 hours of just driving time. Please don't put your children thought this in one day.

With all the driving you are going to be doing already...I'd say forget the North Rim. The drive out there is slow and curvey and if you get stuck behind a slow going motorhome...it can take even longer...take it from someone that's in the slow moving motorhome...there's not a lot of places to pull over.

We've stayed in Kanab a few times. Once was on our way to Phoenix for a funeral and we stayed in a motel (this was about 20 years ago). The other times have been camping. We stayed in Kanab to explore the area around Kanab.

I really recommend staying in Springdale at the entrance to Zion so you can enjoy the beautiful scenery.

If you have your heart set on seeing Bryce, then I'd suggest a quick hike in the morning, then drive to Bryce and spend the night in Kanab or Page. You might find more choices of lodging in Page, AZ. Springdale to Bryce and then to Kanab is only 165 miles and add 75 more miles if you go to Page, AZ. It's 375 miles if you go all the way to the Grand Canyon village and I don't recommend that in one day.

Utahtea
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Utahtea. That's why I need this forum! I haven't done all the mapping yet ( obviously! ). After I finish the basic route and book the hotels ( park lodges done long ago ), I figured I get my AAA maps and directions. Anyhoo, in my guide book, it didn't seem like the North Rim was that out of the way. Mapquest gave a time of 4 1/2 hours ( 253 miles ) from Springdale to the South Rim which is why I thought we could take it slow stopping at the North Rim along the way and make a day of it. How long is the North Rim to detour through? I don't want to be like the Griswolds and just get out of the car and look and drive away! I'd rather see fewer things and enjoy them fully. My husband and I will have to take a trip later on to experience everything.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM

You might want to check mileages before finishing your lodging reservations!

Mile wise it's not that far out of the way to the N. Rim, but keep in mind that the entrance gate to the North Rim and the actual canyon overlooks are 12 slow driving, curvey miles! Plan on just an hour from the gate to the rim and back to the entrance gate. I would really skip the North Rim.

If you don't do the North Rim, you still have to choices from Springdale to the South Rim. Hwy 89 will take you though more sandstone landscapes and beautiful Lake Powell. This route is 255 miles and will take 4 1/2 to 5 hours driving time. This is my favorite route because of Lake Powell.

Hwy Alt 89 takes you up higher elevation to mountain scenery and more slow curvey roads for slower driving. This route is 250 miles and approx. 5 - 6 hours driving time. You will get a little better angle of the Vermillion Cliffs as you decend but you will also get a few views from the other route.

Utahtea