Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Digital camera on Hawaii, where can you download your pixs?

Digital camera on Hawaii, where can you download your pixs?

Apr 20th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Digital camera on Hawaii, where can you download your pixs?

I will be on several islands on Hawaii and I'm not sure if there is a place to download my pictures off my digital camera. I have 2 128 memory cards, but I love taking pictures and I think I can use that up in a few days. I have never really traveled with my new digital camera before so I'm not sure what to do? I would prefer a place that I could download my pictures and burn them on a CD for me. Would I go to a film developer or a computer store (please be specific if you know)? Or do I need to buy more memory? I have an old laptop, but it does not have usb, so I don't think that would help. Do you think the concierge would know? Would the hotel do this?

Thnaks in advance for your help.
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:27 AM

Costco in Honolulu will download to a cd for you. Not sure about the neighbor islands. Perhaps Kinkos??
Apr 21st, 2003, 04:51 AM
iceeu2

Walmart's service on Kauai is excellent. We had them do cd's and prints.

Apr 21st, 2003, 05:31 AM
gc

This has been a curiosity to me. I don't understand buying anything besides a Sony Mavica for this exact reason. By carrying a box of floppy disks of mini cd's, you have an unlimited supply of digital "film", and don't have to worry about download stations.
Apr 21st, 2003, 06:17 AM

My 2meg camera at default resolution will fill a 128mb stick with 250 pics approx. Try as I might, I only just filled one stick in a week although I had two with me. Memory's cheap now. Thanks to others re the info here.
Apr 21st, 2003, 06:24 AM

I agree with pspercy, with 2 -128mb memory cards you should be able to take over 500 pictures.
Joeg
Apr 21st, 2003, 06:42 AM

I use the highest resolution I can get from my 3 megapixel camera and get less than 500 pix from a 512 compact flash. If you have a 4 or 5 megapixel camera, I can imagine how you could use up two 128 meg sticks pretty easily.

In any event, virtually all photo development shops can download and burn CDs for you now. Wal*Mart and Costco are particularly cost effective locations. You could walk into a Kinkos and plug your camera into a Mac, but when you find out how easy it is to download the pictures and burn a CD, it could get really expensive because you'll want to buy one.
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:54 AM

I'd just buy another memory card - as someone else pointed out, memory is pretty cheap now.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:14 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Im going to maui in may 18-25th & I was going to bring my 35MM just in case.
but there's a walmart in Kahului.
I'm going to call them just to be sure.
Enjoy your trip, I know we will
Hang loose
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:02 PM

If you vacation like that often, buy a digital wallet. We bought one for our recent trip to Europe and it worked out really well.

At the end of the day we just downloaded all our pics into it and when we got home we transferred them into the computer.

They aren't cheap though $300, but they *are* easy if you don't want to spend your vacation trying to locate photo shops.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:06 PM

Scott, going through the same phase now too. how long will costco take to burn the cd? i wouldn't want to have to leave my memory card there.
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:00 AM

geez, just buy a 256mb flash card for under $60 these days and be done with it.
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:47 AM

At Wal-Mart it is really easy to load all of your pictures. You just pop your memory card into the computer & specify all or selected photos. Then the pictures are copied onto the computer & you remove your memory card. Prints are ready in 1 hour (during Photo Store Hours) I think CDs are 1 hour also. But you never have to leave your memory card there as long as you don't walk off and forget it!

-Katie
Apr 29th, 2003, 05:54 PM

thanks for the info Katie.
Apr 29th, 2003, 09:32 PM

I called thewall-mart in maui, the photo lady said just brin in your card & she'll download it & your pic's will be ready in one hour. Due to this info I'm only going to get the 128mg
Hope this helps wall-marts # in Maui is 1-808-871-7104 then theres sharky's 808-669-5631 & wiki wiki photo 1-808-669-5631 & Imagine photo 1-808-667-6932 If you call any others let me know what's up with there service's
Have a great time (hang loose) GinnyG
Apr 30th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great replies. I called a couple places that GinnyG listed one said that I need to leave the card another said that they would do it as I wait (about 1/2 hour). The memory for my cammera is Xd and costs about $60 for a 128 card (unforutaley not under $60 for a 256 flash card). My camera is 3.3 megapixle and i get aroung 100 pictures per 128 card. I can also shoot video (with sound) and that really eats up the memory.

Quinty, you mentioned a digital wallet, I never heard of it, but it sounds interesting, I'll have to look into it.

I'll call around to some more photo places as it gets closer to my trip (August) and will post my findings back here since a few people seem interested too.

Thanks again,

Scott
Apr 30th, 2003, 04:48 PM

Scott, I have a Canon Powershot 4.0 mgp, also does video with sound...I just bought a 256 card from Best Buy for $70 on sale from $100 I believe. Go to best buy's website and search for cards compatible for your camera.

Also, I would suggest not using the video feature for obvious reasons. Maybe rent or borrow a video camera if that is what you are after and save your memory.

have fun!
Apr 30th, 2003, 04:51 PM

I forgot to mention....we are going to be in Maui and Kauai for 10 days...I'm going with 350 mbs of memory total (256, 64, and 32). I guess if it isn't enough...I could always duck into costco, wal-mart or other photo lab.
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bogart,

Im just going through some of my old posts to write down any additional information I will need for my trip. I was wondering how you made out memory wise with your camera, did you have enough? I looked at your pictures sometime ago, and they were great, I hope mine come out as well.

Thanks,

Scott
Aug 11th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Just a reminder, pack your AC battery charger for the camera! I forgot mine in Hawaii, and there is not a Best Buy on the Kona side of BI. I couldn't shoot the last two days of my trip, no juice. There was a camera store there, "Lighthouse" he would burn my shots to a CD for $20, I opted to just buy another 256 card so that I wouldn't have to find a camera store while traveling. I love to shot and shot, and then in the room, edit out the bad shots. On my Canon G4, if you use the manual setting, you can check your pic out, and keep adjusting the exposure to get it right. Shooting a sunset is hard, and adjusting the exposure finally go me a decent shot.

Once home, I burned a folder of pics onto a disc, took it to my local drug store camera department and they printed them for .27 each. Piece of cake!

Search this Thread