Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Digital Camera advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/digital-camera-advice-372867/)

Rachel Oct 31st, 2003 05:46 AM

Digital Camera advice

Hey travellers-I'm finally upgrading and buying a digital camera to use in our travels. Any recommendations? Any features that are must haves, wastes of money. I tend to take pictures more of people than of landscapes. I plan on buying a little printer to go with it. Any recommendations on that. Thanks.

Anonymous Oct 31st, 2003 06:09 AM

I love my Minolta Dimage Xt. It works great for everything from vacation photos to tree pix for my landscaping class, to closeups of crafts for eBay auctions.

The best thing is it's tiny, so it's VERY portable (fits in any pocket) and inconspicuous so your subjects don't get self-conscious even though they KNOW there's a camera there. An because it's so small and easy to use, you can keep it in your pocket and pop it out and take photos spontaneously and quickly. The features and layout are very user-friendly.

Essentials include an extra battery and memory card so you can take LOTS of photos without worrying about using up your power or storage!

swalter518 Oct 31st, 2003 06:18 AM

We bought a Canon S50 and took it on our 2 week trip and were thrilled with it. We have a one year old Epson photoprinter that works well too.

Lauradublin Oct 31st, 2003 06:20 AM

Canon have just brought out a new EOS 300D or I think it might be called a EOS Rebel in the US. In any case it is causing a revolution in the digital camera market. It retails at about $1000, but has all of the features of a SLR camera and you can use any Canon lenses with it. Not sure if you want a camera as advanced at this, but it's a brilliant camera. You can also get a printer that hooks up straight to the camera so that you can by-pass a computer.

Good luck!

JaneS Oct 31st, 2003 07:14 AM

Rachel-
I also have a Minolta Dimage XT and love it for the same reasons as Anonymous. It's so tiny and takes good pictures. But yes, extra battery and larger memory chips are essential. There are tradeoffs to buying such a small camera though- zoom function more limited than other cameras, battery life may not be as long, etc. But size and portability was most important to us so that's why we picked this one. I also considered the Canon Elph...

When I was shopping for a camera, I found www.epinions.com to be VERY helpful. It gives user reviews per camera. Also, the site will list various websites that will sell the camera and at what price. They even have user ratings for those websites so you can read customer's opinions of them, whether they had trouble, etc. I ended up getting my camera for $100 less than Best Buy through butterflyphoto. I bought my battery and memory chip from them and they waived my shipping charge!

Jane

utahtea Oct 31st, 2003 07:25 AM

I love my Cannon PowerShot G3. It's very user friendly. I think you are going to get as many different recommendations on cameras as there are posters!

I don't know if I would go to the expense of getting a printer. I take my memory card or a burned CD of my pictures into Costco and put it in their machine and select which prints I want, how many prints, what size and the information is electronicly sent to their 1 hour photo lab and printed out. It only costs me $.19 for a 4 x 6 picture. I think there are other places like Wal-Mart or Kinko's that are doing this now too.

Look into how much good photo paper and the special ink will run you before you get that printer!

Here are some pictures taken with my digital camera.

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/vacation2003/float.htm

Utahtea

rjw_lgb_ca Oct 31st, 2003 07:40 AM

I just upgraded this spring to a Canon Powershot S400, which has in its favor a compact steel body, good optical zoom and digital zoom (as necessary), 4.0 megapixel image size, and point-and-shoot ease of use. Buy extra battery packs and a couple of high-capacity memory cards (Compact Flash format), and you're pretty much set.

I also just bought a new HP PhotoSmart 7960 printer. It'll print 8.5x11 as well as 4x6 photos, and the print quality is basically indistinguishable from chemical photo processing. Laser-quality text as well. If you're looking for a full-capability printer, this is the one!

Doh Oct 31st, 2003 08:17 AM

It's really hard to answer this type of question without more information such as--

-your budget (under $300?, over $800?)
-how you like to use a camera (strictly point and shoot, or do you like to have some control)
-what size prints do you expect to make (4x6, or 11x17?)
-how small a camera do you want (fits in a shirt pocket, a purse, or a camera bag?)

A great website with reviews and forums is dpreview.com.

I think generally people look for 3-4 megapixels, and 3x optical zoom (optical zoom is what you think of as zoom-- digital zoom is no different from making the picture bigger on your computer). Some people like cameras with AA batteries, because they are widely available (if you need some on vacation), others prefer cameras that use smaller, lighter photo (lithium?) batteries.

IMO canon has a great line of cameras-- the A70 has a lot of features (including a pretty good movie mode for very short clips) for under $300, but you can get smaller or larger cameras depending on your needs.

Canon also has a great line of printers, such as the i950 (or i850).

Andrew Oct 31st, 2003 08:27 AM

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

- More Megapixels only help if you want enlargements. 3 Megapixels is more than you need for excellent 4x6 prints and will even give you decent 8x10 prints.

- Forget digital zoom; optical zoom is really what you want.

- You can get a printer, but if you want to print your images at a photo lab (most have little "entry kiosks" now, e.g. Costco), remember that they use a 4x6 aspect ratio and most digital cameras (except digital SLR's) shoot in a more square ratio (3x4). So you will loose stuff at the top and/or bottom of your frame if you try to print 4x6 prints, or you'll get white bars on the sides. When you compose your shots, you can try not to put people's heads at the very top of your frame or important stuff at the very top/bottom of your pictures - that will help.

- If you buy the new camera before vacation, be sure and try it out before you leave! Take some pictures and get them printed first, so you know what you are doing before vacation.

Rachel Oct 31st, 2003 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone. I knew I could count on my Fodorite friends for help. I plan on spending b/t 500-700 on the camera and mini printer combined. I will go to the web sites suggested tonight in between trick or treaters. I was most impressed with those little printers at a recent family gathering. My cousin was able to take everyone's little card from their digital cameras and print up everyone's pictures on the spot (they were given to the couple being honored at their 50th wedding anniversary).

Gekko Oct 31st, 2003 09:18 AM

Check yesterday's NY Times (www.nytimes.com) for a great article in the "Circuits" section about buying digital cameras. The big thing I took away from the article is that paying for more than 3 megapixels is a waste of money unless you're a professional or like to make poster-sized prints of your kids' halloween outfits.

Also, I use Shutterfly instead of a printer, but that's just me.

Doh Oct 31st, 2003 11:17 AM

One more small point-- I would definitely recommend visiting a B&M store to hold different cameras in your hand. You may find the really small cameras to be too small to hold comfortably, or you may find that a camera other people described as very compact is too large or heavy to fit comfortably in your pocket (or wherever you plan to carry it).

simpsonc510 Oct 31st, 2003 11:34 AM

I love my Canon S400 Elph. It isn't much bigger than the size of a cigarette pack. I also purchased the Canon i950 printer, which does a marvelous job! It's not portable so it isn't something to take with you when you travel. But, the photos are such great quality, I can't say enough about the i950 and s400 camera.

TomT Oct 31st, 2003 12:45 PM

I bought a Canon S30 about a year and a half ago - enough time that there's now an S40, S45 and S50 out there now. If the new ones are built the same, I'd highly recommend them. They are compact and lightweight, yet very sturdy (not much plastic, breakable knobs, etc.). I can't emphasize enough how important it was to me to have something small enough that I'd actually use it on trips. It can have all the features in the world, but if it's a pain to use or tough to get in and out of a case or purse, you probably won't use it much in your travels.

When you finally decide to buy, check out B&H Photo online. Their phone reps are not the friendliest - think of the Soup Nazi selling cameras - but if you know what you want the prices are good and there's no tax. I have used them several times and haven't been burned yet.

Steve042 Oct 31st, 2003 01:08 PM

I have to concur with the dimage.. but if budget is your thing - you might go with the fuji finepix 5000. It's around $399 and takes great photos, and is pretty easy to use. I use that and also a dimage..

gail Oct 31st, 2003 01:27 PM

More practical advice for traveling with digital camera. Buy an extra battery so you can always have one charged. If you travel outside your country (let's assume it is US or Canada), you will need transformer/adapter gadget so you can recharge it. You will need to buy extra memory storage when you travel (this has gotten a lot cheaper in past 2 years) or find some other way to store pictures while you travel.

We have a tiny digital camera - I find it a little small to hold, but that is just beccause I am used to a bigger, heavier camera. But it is nice that it can fit into even a tiny purse or small pocket.

halbo49 Oct 31st, 2003 03:21 PM

Ive had my poloroid digital over 3 years ,took it out west twice and to D.C.also. the pictures are great considering I paid less than $100 on e-bay (new).I use a scaner to dounload to my laptop in only seconds .an extra card is only $20 It uses AA batterys

highbay Oct 31st, 2003 04:38 PM

I have to agree with TomT. We too have a Canon S30. We got ours about a year ago. It is soooo user friendly. My sister has an olympia and she rarely uses it, relying on the old disposible back up. I thought it was just her comfort level, but after reading the instructions (told her I was sure I could help her with it) realized that it was not as user friendly as our camera.
Good Luck!

Gretchen Nov 1st, 2003 03:31 AM

A"little" printer may not be the best investment. When buying a printer get a brand that has near archival inks. I think Epson is the only one that does at this time. I have had HP (years ago) and the prints were wonderful but the ink faded to a bright green over time. My Epson C80 was around $150 and is excellent--there are even more available now.

dfrostnh Nov 1st, 2003 04:13 AM

A few years ago I splurged on a Canon PowerShot G1. At that time there was a question of the availability of batteries and their longevity of other brands. My Canon came equiped with a battery charger which also serves as an AC adapter when downloading pictures. The Canon also came with the wiring to hook up to a tv so we could use it like a slide projector. Our son came for a visit but forgot the cord to download the pictures to our computer. Then he realized he could put the compact flash card in my camera and we could show his photos on the tv. Great fun for the relatives. The G1 also came with Photoshop LE and some album software which is great for saving the pictures and editing. I still use the original batteries.
Evaluate these extras. They all came with my camera. There are functions I haven't tried. The LCD display is movable which helps if there is a glare problem with sun. I can also look thru the lens which saves battery life if you don't have the LCD display on. OTH I have rotated the display so I could view my shot as I help my camera over my head. Digitial cameras should be fun to use.