Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Difference Bet. Gray's Papaya and Paypaya King, NY

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:30 PM
Pat

I have heard, seen, read so much about both. Most recommendations are good, great.
Do either of them have all beef hotdogs? For 75¢, I don't expect filet mignon.

What is the difference in taste, quality, etc., aside from the locations.

Which has has the best hot dogs or are they the same?

We plan to try one of them if not both.

Thanks.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:40 AM
Pat

I think I set a record for typos in the above post. Sorry.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:44 AM
RQF

Gray's serves all beef franks. I don't know about the other place. Gray's has two locations that I know of. The one at 72nd and Broadway doesn't sell a 75 cents frank. I recall seeing a sign, a few weeks back at the Gray's on 8th Avenue (either 37th or 38th Streets), advertising a 75 cents frank.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:57 AM
lisa

Pat -- Papaya King (at 86th & 3rd Ave) does advertise that it sells all beef franks. I don't know how much they cost, but they're pretty cheap, albeit skinny.

Funny you should say you don't expect filet mignon, because that's part of their advertising slogan. Someone help me out here -- is it "better than filet mignon" or "filet mignon on a bun"??? Now I can't remember!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:24 AM
Frank

"Tastier than Filet Mignon."

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Owen O'Neill

Gray's Papaya at 38th and 8th is currently running a "recession special" - two franks and a juice drink for $1.95. This past weekend they were havign a 50 cent special on hotdogs and there was a big line (but it moves fast). If you're expecting a fine dog such as you'd get from a good local or regioanl sausage maker (I'm from Syracuse NY where there are two exceptionally good hot dog makers)... you may be a bit disappointed. The good news is that they are really tasty (haven't tried Papaya King - I"m referring to Gray's). Much better thaqn the hotdogs most street cart vendors sell.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
nathans

I quit going there when they got political. Many of the stores put up banners that said things like "We're with you Mr. President" during Clinton's Monica problems. I don't think restaurants should advertise their political views. If you want a good hotdog, go to Nathan's.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:50 AM
Matt

Same thing, pretty much. I always confuse the two. Tasty dogs, fruit drinks, very cheap. Of course, no ambiance at either one (except the crowd at the one on 6th Ave in the Village after 2AM!)

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:41 AM
suzanne

Gray's are yummy...haven't tried Papaya King. Always wondered if they were branches of the same business (I wasn't sure because Gray's dogs were 50 cents - 6 years ago - and P. King's were closer to $1.00)

Try Gray's - they sure beat the "dirty water dogs" (aka "Street Meat"). Nathan's of course, are the best (hey, I live in Brooklyn, whaddaya expect?)

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:40 PM
Elizabeth

They are both really really great--really!! I love them.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Pat

Gray's .... is there adress code and will I need a reservation? JUST KIDDING...

Thanks for all of the info. We're staying at the Hotel Beacon, 75th and Broadway, so will definetely try the one at 72nd.