Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Did everyone else get a notice about a tax rebate? Where's my notice?

Jul 31st, 2001, 08:10 AM
What About My Needs?

I pay plenty of taxes, so I figured I should get a $600 rebate (for travel, of course). But no notice yet.

What's going on? Could it be that I filed for an extension and haven't filed a return for 2000 yet? Does anyone know?

Jul 31st, 2001, 08:13 AM
xxx

If you owe taxes from year 2000 you will not get a rebate. Since you filed for an extension, the government assumes you owe taxes and ergo no rebate. If in fact you do not owe taxes from 2000, you will receive your rebate when you file your 2001 taxes.

Jul 31st, 2001, 08:17 AM
TY

The refund is to pay you back for the extra tax you paid January-June, after the new rates were enacted for this tax year, 2001. You should also know that some people's refunds will be reduced or eliminated ... if they owe taxes, if they owe child support or if they owe on their student loans. So, it could be Uncle Sam is just paying himself part of what you owe. If you're projecting a refund, then it's hard to tell, but the odds are you owe on something and you owe it to the Fed. Gov't. If you've paid taxes this year, and are due a refund, the refunds are being scheduled by the last two numbers in your soc. sec. number - this week it's 10-19.

Jul 31st, 2001, 08:26 AM
Gerry

Everybody who is going to get a rebate has or will recieve a notice. Some 25% will not be getting a rebate for various reasons.

Jul 31st, 2001, 08:30 AM
What About My Needs?

So, when I send off these 2000 tax forms lying on my desk, including a big ol' check for the under-paid taxes, the government will send me my check? Do I understand this correctly?

Jul 31st, 2001, 08:56 AM
I got mine

Gerry:
Not necessarily true. We received no notice but DID receive the $600 check yesterday

Jul 31st, 2001, 08:58 AM
xxx

No you do not understand correctly. You will not get a rebate this year, yours will be included with your 2001 tax filing. Either you will get a larger refund, or will pay less if you owe taxes.

Jul 31st, 2001, 09:04 AM
What About My Needs/

OK. I get it now. I'll just owe less taxes in 2001. That's OK, because I don't have withholding and pay taxes through quarterly estimated payments. I'll just withhold $600 from the September tax payment, and thereby give myself a rebate. Thanks SO much for the info!

By the way, I Got Mine, you filed your taxes on April 15, I assume? I figure this confusion is solely due to my request for an extension.

Jul 31st, 2001, 09:11 AM
I got mine

What about:
Si, senor...I filed on 4/15. Now it's off to the Far East with all my $$$$