Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   DFW International Parkway Toll Road (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dfw-international-parkway-toll-road-957164/)

happytrailstoyou Nov 19th, 2012 05:13 PM

DFW International Parkway Toll Road

Is there a toll booth on this road, or do we have to purchase a pass to use it?

HTtY

BigRuss Nov 19th, 2012 08:05 PM

Toll booths, they take cash. But if you're renting a car, you do that outside the toll areas.

happytrailstoyou Nov 19th, 2012 08:49 PM

I am renting a car and driving west toward Abilene. Will I avoid the toll road that way?

txgirlinbda Nov 20th, 2012 02:14 AM

You absolutely don't hit a toll road leaving the airport. If you're going to head straight out of DFW towards Abilene, leave the airport via the South exit, take 183 West to 360 South, which will take you right to I-20, then head West to Abilene. Piece of cake.

BigRuss Nov 20th, 2012 09:08 AM

<<You absolutely don't hit a toll road leaving the airport. >>

What the OP is asking is whether there is a toll to leave the airport. If the OP is obtaining the car at the airport, the rental agency is outside the airport roadway and outside the toll booths.

If you're going direct to Abilene, you can use I-20. If you're going to Fort Worth and then later to Abilene, use I-30. I-20 goes south of the city, I-30 goes through it.

And neither I-20 nor I-30 nor Hwy 183 are toll roads. Two are paid for with everyone's taxes, the third's paid for with Texas taxes.

happytrailstoyou Nov 20th, 2012 09:16 AM

Thank you both for this helpful information, which I have noted.

HTtY

txgirlinbda Nov 20th, 2012 10:49 AM

Bigruss, I was not even thinking about the toll road THROUGH the airport - appreciate the clarification.

BigRuss Nov 20th, 2012 12:22 PM

Yeah, HTTY is using what is probably the technical name for the highway inside the airport. That's the problem with the technical name, locals have their own slang or identifiers. I've never called that road the DFW International Toll Highway. I'd seen other posts from HTTY and surmised that a rental was involved.

;-)

txgirlinbda Nov 20th, 2012 12:48 PM

To me, it' s always just been the "shortcut to Grapevine"!!

ChristieP Nov 20th, 2012 01:34 PM

Until the DFW Connector construction project started sending me nightly closure warnings, I had never known this road was International Parkway, and I live in Grapevine!

OP, go out the south entrance of the airport and head west on 183. This will become Loop 820 West, and will eventually take you down to I20. Watch out for State Troopers once you get west of Fort Worth. They watch I20 like hawks...

jill_h Nov 23rd, 2012 08:08 PM

Christie -- there's too much construction on this route.

HTTY:
BigRuss gave the better route, HOWEVER, there will be construction on Hwy. 360 just after it passes over I-30. Drive carefully through this area, the lanes are very narrow.