Detroit to Kennebunkport via michigan ohio pennsylvania new york maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We travel every year from Ottawa Canada to Kennebunkport. This year my husband has conference in Detroit in early August. We could drive to Detroit, visiting family along the way, and then take two or three days to drive from Detroit to Kennebunkport.

After spending some time on the internet, I am left wondering ....

1. Do I want to spend a few days in Detroit while husband is in meetings? We travel the world and I am a happy lone-excursioner during the days.

2. Could we make the drive from Detroit to Kennebunkport a fun one? When I'm on my own I do enjoy galleries and museums but husband ... not so much. We love fun cities and of course in the summer love lake beaches but I'm not seeing much to attract us on the south shore of Lake Erie.

I have the option of accompanying husband to Detroit and then returning to Ottawa and then making our trek to Kennebunkport. Or skipping Detroit all together and we leave from here.

I would very much appreciate your suggestions!
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM

How about an alternate route? You could reach Maine from Detroit by going back through Canada to western New York State, then via Buffalo, Rochester and the Finger Lakes, Cooperstown, through the Catskills to Albany. Maybe detour down the Hudson Valley a bit (or all the way to NYC if that was part of your initial itinerary). Cross through western Massachusetts - Tanglewood in the Berkshires - to the greater Boston area and then up to Maine. Or up to Saratoga Springs and cross through southern Vermont and New Hampshire. All of these have plenty to recommend, in that lazy, see a bit of this-or-that way of a summer drive... mountains, lakes, wineries, some art, music and even horse racing...

Perhaps you've done this before, but it seems that from Ottawa, you're probably more familiar with the northern route!
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! We have been to the finger lakes but don't think to Buffalo or Rochester .. definitely not to Cooperstown .. Albany .. .lots of time spent in Boston .. hmmm you've got me thinking! Tanglewood in ther Berkshires??
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Glad to help turn your itinerary on its head!

Not sure there's much to do in Albany itself... but it's a good travel crossroads...

There's some info about western NY in this recent trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...auqua-week.cfm

And a recent post about the Hudson Valley:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ome-basics.cfm
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM

I see ggreen has suggested an alternate route...among other things surely could include Niagra Falls always worth another visit. Yes, Cooperstown worthwhile and as mentioned above my report on Chautauqua week does mention some other possibilities crossing New York state. Of course Tanglewood in Mass.
Bill in Boston
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM

As for the Detroit part of your trip, there are lots of things in the area. The only drawback is that you will need to drive. The Henry Ford is a large indoor/outdoor museum complex in Dearborn, about 20-mins west of downtown Detroit. It has Thomas Edison's Laboratory, Stephen Foster's House, the Wright Brother's House and Cycle Shop and several other historic buildings. The indoor museum has decorative arts, machinery and a top-notch transportation collection that includes all the presidential limos and the bus on which Rosa Parks was arrested. You can easily spend two days there if you visit both parts. Check www.thehenryford.org for hours and admission.

The Detroit Institute of Arts has a highly-regarded collection and is well-known for its murals by Diego Rivera. Check www.dia.org.

You could tour one of the auto baron's mansions. Meadowbrook Hall is about 45-minutes north of the city on the campus of Oakland Univ. The 103-room house was built by the widow of John Dodge and her second husband. The Edsel and Eleanor Ford House overlooking Lake St. Clair also offers regular tours.

The Cranbrook Educational Community is in Bloomfield Hills and houses an art museum, science museum, church, schools and the home of founders George and Ellen Booth. Many buildings were designed by Eliel Saarinen and Albert Kahn and there are numerous works on the grounds by Carl Milles and Marshall Fredericks. Check www.cranbrook.edu.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

You are all so helpful and I do appreciate your taking the time to respond. Question re: Detroit .. I would be on my own much of the three days there with husband in meetings. Should that be of a safety concern to a slightly more than middle-aged female?
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 05:56 AM

The suburbs and tourist areas of the city are fine. Always use common sense, but the areas of the city that are dangerous are places you wouldn't want to go anyway (unless you were looking to purchase things that are frowned-upon by the authorities). ;-)
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM

In Detroit, many of the museums, including the DIA, are on or near the campus of Wayne State University so there are people around. As Citylights mentioned you will need a car to get to most places because, afterall, we are the Motor City. There is also a group called Inside Detroit that gives tours of the City. You will have to check as I am not sure that they do them during the week. If you do come to Detroit, do not miss going into The Guardian Building.