Detroit to Cleveland for a weekend getaway

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit to Cleveland for a weekend getaway

Four adults will be traveling to Cleveland from Detroit for a 2 night stay. We plan on getting some tasty eats at West Side Market and have the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on the list of things to do. Will get the hotel through Hotwire or Priceline and bid it in the downtown area. My question is are there any fun stops on the way? Any fun or interesting things to do just outside of Cleveland? I've researched Cleveland and know that we will probably do the Art Museum in addition to the R&R HOF. I love fun places to stop on the way. Particularly interested in a winery if there are any around Cleveland - or a good gourmet market to get some wine at. Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM

Hi wingsgal,

One of my favorite things in Cleveland was James A. Garfield's mausoleum at the Lakeview Cemetery. The building has a lovely interior and you get great views of Lake Erie and the Downtown skyline from up high. Since you'll be in the neighbourhood, I'd recommend a stroll in Little Italy and see what cannolis strike your fancy.

Have a great trip! Daniel
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM

On your drive from Detroit, you could stop at Mon Ami Winery in Catawba for lunch and a little wine tasting. There are several wineries along Lake Erie. Vermilion is also on your way. I haven't been there but Paper Moon Winery is located there.

You don't say when you are coming but you might catch a show at Playhouse Square.

There was just a big fire at West Side Market and they closed for a short time. They are once again open.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:48 PM

Just beyond Cleveland you could visit Stan Hywet Hall in Akron. It's the estate of Charles Seiberling, founder of Good Year. Nearby, in Akron, you could visit the McKinley tomb and library.

In Fremont, just off the Ohio Turnpike at Route 53 near Sandusky, there's the President Rutherford B. Hayes estate and library.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Daniel...we are coming in a few weeks and I'm afraid the Garfield memorial isn't open...bummer. Looks like they open it in April.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
NASA Glenn Research Center is near the Cleveland airport. They offer tours...unless they're nailed shut by the sequester.

West Side Market has a variety of foods, but you'll have to walk and eat. It's not a food court. However, there is a cafe on the premises. The area around the West Side Market, on and off West 25th St., has several great watering holes, especially for those who enjoy craft brews, including Market Garden Brewery and Distillery, and Great Lakes Brewing Co. The Bier Market specializes in Belgian imports on tap, and grub like mussels and pomme frittes. There is also a pretty neat wine bar in the area.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm so bummed! I had no idea about the NASA Center but it looks like its not open for touring until April....which is 5 days too late for us! Found a couple other things that are closed for the season too...boo!
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 04:52 AM
cd

WingsGal, Agree with the Mon Ami Winery for food and wine. We also always enjoy the Planetarium: http://www.cmnh.org/site/AtTheMuseum...anetarium.aspx
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you cd. Can anyone tell me if the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad would be nice at the end of March? I can't really picture anything scenic happening in Michigan at the end of March but I'm not familiar with the Cuyahoga Valley. Yay or nay?
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM
cd

The end of March I would think would still be pretty cold. We rode in the summer and it was quite nice but I would recommend the Dome Car above the otheres for daytime rides, much better views and I would just suggest riding to Peninsula, having lunch there at the Winking Lizzard, and going back to Rockside. I am just not sure of the weather....if you go wear layers so that you would not get cold...There probably would not be many people on the train that early in the season.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, CD! Does the train go through wooded areas? Or is along the water? What makes it a 'scenic railroad'?
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 05:20 PM

If you're in town for only a two night stay, does that mean that you'll really only have one full day and then you'll be leaving? If you'll really only be in Cleveland for one day then I'd say that going to the Westside Market in the morning, having lunch either there or at one of the near by restaurants and then going cross town to the art museum and dinner in Little Italy with a night cap in the Warehouse district would complete your visit. If you're there for a second day then I'd add the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'd also look at dinner in the Tremont area, which is close to downtown. - The Cuyahoga Scenic Railroad is somewhat interesting but it's more of something to do with your kids, (think really great school field trip). It goes through woods and I don't think it would be terribly pretty at this time of year. Also, I hate to throw a damper on other contributors suggestions, but Mon Ami winery is for people who like wine with a cup of sugar.

Other suggestions would be the botanical gardens across from the art museum as well as the Cleveland Greenhouse which at that time of year usually has a really great indoor tulip display, plus it's free and is in the neighborhood of the art museum and Little Italy. And if you are staying downtown a walk to the Arcade, the largest in it's day when it was built, the Old Stone Church which was a stop on the Underground Railroad and has windows designed by Tiffany, and St. John's Cathedral are nice places to stop into. I'd also really suggest going to either Fat Cat's, or Lola's for dinner. Have fun, I love going to Cleveland!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 05:26 PM

one more thing- if you go to the art museum, of the Cleveland green house, or Little Italy, be sure to take the Shoreway to MLK Boulevard. The boulevard is lined with gardens sponsored by different ethnicities and was originally designed during the Great Depression as a public works project. The gardens are well landscaped and the bridges and architecture crossing it are very interesting.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
IMHO, LaraM's advice is spot on!
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 05:49 AM
cd

Agree with LaraM about the railroad. At this time of year with no green leaves it probably would not be very senic and what I like about Mon Ami is eating outside which would be to cold now to do but I still stand by my recommendation on the Planetarium. Have a great time no matter what you do!
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow...thanks LaraM. That is great information. We were already planning on the art museum. Thanks a ton for the other suggestions.