Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Detroit DTW Airport Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/detroit-dtw-airport-hotels-470460/)

Luubert Aug 27th, 2004 08:50 PM

Detroit DTW Airport Hotels

Hi, planning on flying out of Detroit at 9 in the morning I love in Woodstock Ontario 2 hours from Windsor Ontario (you already know but if you dont)the city that borders Detroit but on the Canadian side. Do you think I would be able to make the drive to Detroit in the morning and keep in mind the border crossing and approximate times if i do make the trip at leaving times? If not some suggestion for some budget decent Detroit Airport Hotels?

Paul Aug 28th, 2004 05:56 AM

Well...

If your flight leaves at 9:00 AM, you need to be at the airport at around 7:00 AM. That would put you at crossing the border and going through customs at around 6:00 AM - which is not typically a super busy time to cross the bridge/tunnel. But it does BEGIN to get busy at the crossing at around that time. The Detroit area receives many workers from Canada - especially in the medical field where their shifts begin at 7:00 AM.

Guess you'd have to leave home for your two-hour trip at around 4:00 AM.

As far as budget hotels go, I'm sorry that I can't help you there. But if you were planning to spend the night in the metro area before your flight, there is not much to do near the airport - as typical of most larger-city airports.

Perhaps Priceline can find you a good deal for your needs.

The main advice I can give you however, is not to cross the border after 6:00 AM to avoid possible customs delays.

Keith Aug 28th, 2004 06:51 AM

If you stay at a motel near the airport, you can pick one that provides a shuttle to the airport and free airport parking if you stay overnight.

http://www.parksleepfly.com/index.php4 lists some packages.

Keith

japw82 Aug 28th, 2004 11:20 AM

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Clarion. It was clean and the staff was very helpful. There was a hotel shuttle to the airport and the rates were very reasonable. I think we paid less than $80.

japw82 Aug 28th, 2004 11:27 AM

Looking at the Choice hotels website, room rates are $69.95 at the Airport Clarion

Janny Aug 28th, 2004 04:52 PM

Westin is right at the airport which I'm sure is expensive. I think there is a Ramada Inn and Clarion in the vicinity of the airport? You may want to drive on Middlebelt road. There are a couple of hotels right across from the airport.

Good Luck!

Paul Aug 28th, 2004 09:21 PM

When pricing motel/hotels, remember that many chains will let you park your car in their lot for free while away. They all have courtesy shuttle vans. Actually, more hotels will offer this shuttle service - and let you stay for MANY days. More days than they are willing to advertise. Be sure to ask about these details/factors of costs if booking your room. Obviously, also take into account the parking expense factor when opting for a place to stay, as there are deals to be had. {... And that's one reason you posted your question here at Fodors in the first place, right?}

IMHO, I find Metro Airport (DTW) to be a frickin' zoo. While the NorthWest terminal is considered by many <worldly> travelers to be "very fine," I absolutely hate it. There is not much to do once you get there, and the restaurants are plain awful.

If connecting through the Smith Terminal, opt for the small Mexican restaurant. It is located right before you enter the Search & Seizure x-ray scan, but it's not in the NorthWest Terminal. NorthWest's Terminal is a few miles away.

Although, come to think of it, you mentioned a 9:00 AM departure. Maybe not the best choice for breakfast?!?!?! But hey - they do serve Bloody Marys!

Traveling through the busy NorthWest Terminal: up one escalator and down the other. Then back up again. After all of that madness, another long distance to your assigned terminal. Maybe take the huge hassle to hop on the above-ground tram.

I will admit that most of the Northwest's terminals are pretty quiet & comfy once you arrive to your departing gate. You can catch a good snooze there. But watch the signs when searching for your gate. The first time through there can be a doozy.

I hope you don't have to take the new Northwest underground tunnel/conveyor belt-action through the psychedelic light show with mood music and all. Not all gates requiring to go through there. Hate it. It's creepy. Even for me! And I'm the type of guy who absolutely can get into light shows. But then I want to dance the night away! HAHAHAHA!

Yes, I know the glass beautiful glass-surround panels cost $illions of dollars to underwrite. And the artist did a fine job with the execution of the project & installation. It is, I would guess, an approximately mile-long glass domed ever-color-changing creation. BUT - it is still a very long, conveyor belt-driven, 'dark' (yet sleek/modern) underground tunnel at Northwest.

The Smith Terminal is just plain old, moldy, stanky & nasty.

The parking AT the airport and it's multiple terminals add up to miles of walking (... and I don't think that I am exaggerating?). Personally, I ALWAYS park off site and have the bus person drop me off at the designated front door. Not only is it more convenient, it is cheaper.

You can print out a coupon for 2 days of free parking (no catches) at a website that I will add to the bottom of this post. I have used the parking lot since it was established about two-three years ago. I find it both helpful and money saving. It's the best deal going right now. The coupon is for two days free parking; additional days just $7.00 (including taxes). You can't go wrong.

In case you are interested:
The coupon also lists a combo deal of one night's stay at the La Quinta Inn (nice/decent airport motel) at $69.95/per day with up to 8 days of free parking. I have never stayed in any on the rooms at any DTW airport hotel, but this particular one looks nice from the outside.

Hope this info helps you. Happy Trails!

-Paul

View & Print Coupon From Here:
http://www.qwikpark.com/coupons.html

Luubert Aug 28th, 2004 10:06 PM

Wow Paul THANKS THANKS AND THANKS AGAIN that was exactly what i was looking for and thank god im not taking Northwest. Do you have an idea if Southwest Counter is busy? Im flying into Phoenix. And thanks about the parking help I would have probably spent that hundred dollar something rate per week if it werent for that help. Unfortunately I'm going to be away for 2 weeks :( know of any place cheap for parking or freeat a hotel for that length of time. And you make absolute sense about the gross detroit airport. Forgive me if i'm wrong or if you live in detroit but detroit sort of got off in my mind bad. Having a bad crime rate and a biased opinion from people as being a ghetto and run down city and all. anyways more replys would be appreciated.

Luu