Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Detroit area (Windsor too) restaurant recommendations for Superbowl weekend? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/detroit-area-windsor-too-restaurant-recommendations-for-superbowl-weekend-586978/)

RandyK Jan 31st, 2006 12:34 PM

Detroit area (Windsor too) restaurant recommendations for Superbowl weekend?

Can a Michigander offer some restaurant tips for incoming Superbowl attendees? I'd be interested in restaurants as far west as Ann Arbor, northern/ northwestern suburbs of Detroit, downtown and in Windsor. We've read a lot about the work done downtown and are anxious to see how your city looks, but we'd also love some restaurant recommendations! Go Steelers!

BeachBoi Jan 31st, 2006 12:39 PM

I always thought it was "Michiganians"...??

RandyK Jan 31st, 2006 01:05 PM

Anyone who refers to a resident of Michigan as a Michiganian is immediately labeled as a non-resident. I believe Michigander is the proper conjugation! :))

cherie1 Jan 31st, 2006 01:10 PM

Give a little more direction: upscale restaurants? More lowkey? Any particular atmosphere, type of food, price range? There are a lot of great restaurants...though it might be a little hard to get reservations at many of them.

BeachBoi Jan 31st, 2006 01:12 PM

Randy....Thank You ! I stand corrected.Enjoy the Game!

RandyK Jan 31st, 2006 01:54 PM

More upscale than not although anything with local flavor would be appreciated! This group travels on its stomach and as a former resident (gone from Michigan some years now!), I'm the one charged with finding places to eat. Think of places like Common Grill in Chelsea or Five Lakes Grill in Milford. Would really appreciate places in Windsor that would be upscale or unique. Does that help?

cherie1 Feb 1st, 2006 07:03 AM

That helps a lot.

I can't be of much help for Windsor, hopefully someone else will weigh in.

: In Northwest suburbs/Detroit (many of these restaurants have websites:

West Bloomfield: Zinc (casually upscale French bistro); Oliverio's (cozy Italian place).

Farmington Hills: Hong Hua (casually upscale gourmet Chinese); Tribute (upscale Pan-Asian/French fusion--one of Detroit's best); Cafe Cortina (excellent romantic Italian place).

Northville: Emily's (rustic/elegant fine dining).

Commerce Township: Jeremy (casually upscale bistro).

Novi: NoVI (pronounced "Number Six"--upscale steak and seafood); Steve and Rocky's (seafood); Cherry Blossum (traditional sushi); Godaiko (modern sushi).

Southfield: Bacco (classy New York style upscale Northern Italian); Il Posto (upscale Northern Italian with a beautiful Mediterranean decor); Mortons Steakhouse.

Detroit: Rattlesnake Club (excellent food; classy upscale decor; Seldom Blues (swanky jazz supper club); Small Plates (casual tapas); the Whitney (elegant upscale).

Birmingham--a little East of your request--has excellent restaurants: Streetside Seafood (bistro); Camerons (chic steakhouse); Forte (upscale); Mitchells (seafood); Rugby Grille at the Townsend Hotel (upscale); City Cellar (fine dining and sushi too); 220 Merrill Street (good food and people watcing); Big Rock (chic steakhouse); Phoenicia (upscale Middle Eastern).

Troy (even further East) has a lot of great steakhouses (Ruth's Chris; the Palm; Capital Grille)

Again, many of these restaurants have websites...I can provide you with most of them if you wish.

Citylghts Feb 1st, 2006 12:37 PM

I seem to remember the legislature debating "Michigander/Michiganian" issue in the early 80s when I was in school and I thought "Michiganian" was adopted, but the State's website says there is no official term.

In Windsor, you can try almost any of the restaurants in Little Italy on Erie Street east of Ouellette. The Cook's Shop on Ouellette is also great.

If you're in the mood for steak south of the border, I've never been disappointed at Ye Olde Steak House or The Keg. Both are downtown near the tunnel exit.

Just remember if go to Canada, you'll need proof of identity AND citizenship. A passport serves as both. If not, a driver's license and birth certificate.

Keith Feb 1st, 2006 12:50 PM

I haven't heard Michiganian from anyone that lives there.

What I find interesting is the rise of the word "troll" for residents of the Lower Peninsula that has grown up in the last 20 years.

Yoopers (people from the UP) call them that because they live below the bridge.

Keith

umjen Feb 1st, 2006 01:41 PM

Come to Ann Arbor!

The Zingerman's Roadhouse (at the Stadium/Jackson intersection) has awesome "American-style" food, with a comfortable atmostphere. You totally can't go wrong with them.

For a fancier experience (although price is probably similar to the Roadhouse) you can go to Rush Street (which is on Main Street) for tapas and martinis.

If you are ready to go hog wild, and money is no object, than the Chop House (also on Main Street) is the way to go. This is a very fancy place that specializes in aged steaks which are INCREDIBLE.

If you are adventurous, than go for Thai food at Siam Kitchen (in Westgate shopping plaze at Stadium/Jackson), Indian food at Madras Masala (on Maynard Street, right off campus), or Japanese food at Miki (on First Street, two blocks west of Main street).

cherie1 Feb 2nd, 2006 05:46 AM

Gratzi in Ann Arbor is always good too for Italian.

kelliebellie Feb 3rd, 2006 04:33 AM

I second Little Italy in Windsor. It is on Erie Street. They all have homemade pastas and are so wonderful.

This is a great site for restaurant reviews:

www.metrotimes.com

And in Ann Arbor, don't miss the Prickly Pear for awesome southwestern food.

MerryTravel Feb 3rd, 2006 04:55 AM

I went to a very nice Irish pub/restaurant in Plymouth with my parents after the auto show. It's right near the main street area, but I have no idea what the name of it was (maybe someone else who has lived in the area in the last 10 years can help??). I'm not sure how crowded Plymouth will be, but it's a pretty fast trip from downtown.

cherie1 Feb 3rd, 2006 05:43 AM

Plymouth also has a good Italian steakhouse called La Bistecca.

And along the lines of The Common Grille and Five Lakes Grille (as requested in the original post), Beverly Hills Grille in Beverly Hills is very good too. I've also heard good things about Gravity in Milford, but I haven't been there yet.

Please let us know where you end up, and what you thought!

irishgirl71 Feb 3rd, 2006 10:49 AM

I think the Irish restaurant in Plymouth is Callaghans, food is okay, wait stuff is young and not that great.

Kayb95 Feb 4th, 2006 11:19 AM

I work in Troy and there is also a new Morton's Steakhouse and a Melting Pot (upscale fondue restaurant.) Troy is a very easy drive from Detroit - north on I-75 to Big Beaver Road exit #69.

I'm thinking that crossing the border to Canada might be a hassle, especially now.

Regarding the Michigander/Michiganian debate... Michiganian is what you hear the local newscasters say. Michigander always sounds like some kind of goose to me. :o)