Destination: Victoria BC

Old Mar 27th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination: Victoria BC

Planning a driving trip starting out in Napa to Victoria BC and then back to San Diego. Traveling April 26-May 6. Main destinations to see are the Redwoods, Portland, and Victoria. We have 10 days. I know this entails a lot of driving, but seems doable. We live in Southern California and have family visiting from Australia. Four of us in our sixties. They've seen California south of SFO on several trips so want to head north. Tentative schedule.
Day 1: Ferndale
Day 2: Overnight on way to Portland coast or Grants Pass?
Day 3and 4: Portland
Day 5: Seattle
Day 6: Victoria
Day 7: Head home to San Diego - four days

We don't have to go to Victoria, but would like to. Are we crazy to try to do this?
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 02:05 PM

Yes. https://goo.gl/maps/uLCd9kSMTbw

This strikes me as a drive-by trip with no time spent in actually visits. Google Maps is notoriously wrong on driving time, so add 20 percent. Then consider the delays involved in travel by ferry.

US-101 from Napa to Ferndale, leaving 101 and taking US-199 to Grant's Pass will take you through the most scenic redwood drives but you will miss the rest of the Oregon coast...but you are short on time anyway. One day in Seattle? Short shrift in my opinion. Victoria is a neat city...you could save some time by either taking the Victoria Clipper from the Seattle waterfront (www.clippervacations.com) or flying up with Kenmore Air...either way, you end up in Victoria's inner Harbor withing walking distance of everything but the Butchart Gardens, but you don't have time for them either.

Do some research and some pruning. I hate to see you miss Olympic National Park, but that requires a bare minimum of two days just to scratch the surface.
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 03:10 PM

Victoria is a delightful town. Living in Seattle, we try to go there once a year. However, considering your time constraints, including Victoria in your itinerary would be ill-advised.

A better choice would be to explore the Oregon coast and the Columbia River gorge.

HTtY
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Your description of "drive by" is spot on. There is so much to see in Nor Cal and Oregon we'll probably opt out of Victoria or maybe fly to Seattle from SFO. Decisions decisions. We love Oregon so hate to fly over.Thanks for your input.
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 05:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Even flying into Seattle and only driving from there to San Diego - 10 days isn't enough.

Napa to SFO and flying to Seattle will basically take a full day - so now you are down to 9 days. That isn't enough for Seattle, the Oregon Coast, the Redwoods, the mid coast and on to San Diego.

You live in SD yet are starting this trip from Napa? Are you flying to northern California?
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 07:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried to include a route map from Allegiant Airline but it wouldn't go through.
Allegiant does fly from San Diego to Bellingham Washington.
Check your options to get from Bellingham to either Vancouver or Victoria.
If the object is just to see Victoria, you can take the ferry from Port Angeles as foot passengers and leave the rental car in Port Angeles and then see Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

We live in So Cal and are driving to Sacramento for a wedding then will head to Sebastopol to visit more family. So we are already up north. If we fly SFO to Seattle we'd do a round trip and just visit Seattle and Victoria.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 08:02 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I think it's okay provided you know what you're getting into. But some comments -

I'd stick to the coast rather than US 199; using US 199 doesn't shave THAT much time off the drive between Humboldt County and Portland, and it would mean you'd miss the southern part of the Oregon coast, which would be a real shame. My preferred route at that time of year is US 101 north to Reedsport, then Oregon 38 east to I-5. SR 38 parallels a pretty little canyon created by the Umpqua River, and it's also (I think) the quickest route through the Coast Range to the Willamette Valley.

Look at Bandon for the "middle" night. Getting from Bandon to Portland is an easy drive.

Two days around Portland is a great idea at this time of year; the waterfalls along the walls of the Columbia Gorge will be awesome with melting snow runoff, and the Hood River Valley will be gorgeous with orchards in bloom and vineyards leafing out.

How are you planning to get to Victoria? I'm guessing the Victoria Clipper from Seattle? Okay, but it's prone to being pretty bumpy, and it's three hours long. As a thought experiment, and if you could skip Seattle and not be heartbroken, consider traveling to Port Angeles on your way north and take the Coho ferry from PA to Victoria as foot passengers. It's quicker and cheaper than the Clipper, and the drive from Olympia up to PA on US 101 next to Hood Canal is quite pretty. https://www.cohoferry.com/

You can visit Seattle on the way back from PA by using the Bainbridge Island ferry. Four days back down I-5 from Seattle to SD is not very hard.

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/Zd15vRw6sdS2
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 09:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A thought -- How about flying from SMF to Seattle and spend a couple of days (w/ or w/o Victoria) then drive down the western bits on Gardyloo's map to Sebastopol. Then fly home from SFO or OAK.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Gardyloo, Port Angeles is my preference for the ferry and leaving the car in PA was my original thought. I'm a lousy sea traveler so the shorter the better. We can skip Seattle too if necessary. Main reason for going that far north is Victoria. We love Portland so that's a must and your suggestion using the 101 to 38 looks good. Still a long drive, and as long as we don't hit too much weather it should be a scenic trip. Not making any reservations so we'll be be flexible in case a big storm is forecast. Any suggestions for accommodations in Victoria?
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 02:08 PM

In Victoria I usually stay at the Surf Motel. Not one of those fancy places on the harbor but we love it there. It is right across from the water so great views from your room- even from your bed. There is a great walking trail that goes along the ocean and it's an easy walk to the Inner Harbor area- but I am a walker.

It' looks a bit retro but rooms are clean, somewhat updated, they have a small kitchen. Small restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking the ocean, just a block away.
I would say, not for everyone, but it's our home away from home when in town.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Personally I wouldn't stay in Victoria, I'd come back on the evening boat to PA. Spending the night means taking the 10:30 boat back the next morning, meaning you wouldn't get into Seattle (if that's where you're heading) until mid-afternoon, i.e. rush hour.

Still, your call. Sunbum1944's suggestion sounds fine, but it's been so long since I've stayed in Victoria (not a big fan, truth be told) that I wouldn't be one to ask. The Loonie is pretty weak against the USD, so maybe staying there is a better deal than staying in PA.

Now if you wanted to splurge, you could take the car on the Coho, then return to the mainland the following day via the Washington State ferry that passes through the San Juan Islands to Anacortes. The Anacortes ferry is on very calm waters and it's one of the most scenic trips in the whole country. Seattle is around 2 hours from Anacortes, so you'd be there by dinnertime. If you wanted to keep going, you could have dinner in Seattle and then continue south, maybe to Olympia, to get a head start the next day.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 04:27 PM

Another ferry option is the BC Ferries - round trip between Swartz Bay ( Vancouver Island) and Tsawwassen ( basically Vancouver).

. The advantage of this ferry is that there is one departing almost every hour. It is also a beautiful ride through the islands on calm waters.
The disadvantage is that you have to drive to Seattle and go through border crossing which can take some time.
I usually seem to do this trip in Sept so less problematic with lines at the border but I like the option of pretty much arriving at ferry at time of my choice.

Don't know about the other ferries, but on the BC ferry you can buy Nanaimo Bars. This is a fabulous Canadian confection. I always get one and a cup of coffee, find a protected area on the deck outside and enjoy.

Try one if you make to Victoria.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Fodors has been such a help with travel plans. Decided to eliminate Victoria and WA and stick to the Redwoods, Oregon coast, Portland and maybe Bend. Then head back to So Cal. Plenty of scenery, food, wine and brews to enjoy.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 04:05 PM

Enjoy!
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 04:39 PM

Plenty of scenery, food, wine and brews to enjoy.

And how.

Some places we like -

Samoa Cookhouse - family style lumber mill food served by grannies with attitude - http://www.samoacookhouse.net/

McMenamins - hotels and pubs all over Oregon. Stay at the Edgefield or Kennedy Hotel near Portland and the Columbia Gorge. Remarkable and fun places. http://www.mcmenamins.com/

Food trucks - Portland has an astonishing number of these places. Quirky and then some. http://www.travelportland.com/article/food-cart-pods/

Maryhill Museum - http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/ - at the east edge of the Columbia Gorge, an amazing little museum and neighboring replica of Stonehenge. Terrific wineries nearby, as there are in the Hood River Valley "fruit loop" area. http://hoodriverfruitloop.com/

Head up to Timberline Lodge if your Aussie relatives haven't seen a snowy volcano up close. http://www.timberlinelodge.com/
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, saw your post to the Seattle-LA thread. You must live in the NW. Took notes from that post (Samoa, Redwoods, Gorge, etc) great suggestions. We love Portland, son went to PSU and in-laws lived in Redmond for a few years. Fish in the Grants Pass area in the Fall so we know I-5. Haven't explored the Oregon coast however. Thanks again for mapping it with links. Really helpful.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Have taken some time to explore our options and talk to our Aussie family. They wantt to go to Victoria so here's the plan.
Day 1 Sacramento to Grants Pass (dinner with friends)
Day 2 Portland -
Day 3 port Angeles- catch 2:00 ferry to Victoria
Day 4 Victoria
Day 5 Victoria - catch 4:00 ferry spend night in Tacoma (?) would like to see Chihuly museum
Day 6 Portland, Gorge
Now to the coast.......
Need help with Oregon coast. Don't need to do the entire coast. spend one night at coast then down to the redwoods and end up in Sebastopol by evening of day 8 or 9. Day 10 Sacramento. Day 11 home to Fallbrook.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 07:37 PM

I think one of the prettiest parts of the Oregon coast is between Lincoln City and Florence. South of Florence, the road is pretty much lines with trees down to Coos Bay so not so scenic.
Yachts or Newport would be good places to stay.
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

What route would you suggest and can we get from Portland to Florence in a day and still stop to see some sights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -