Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Destination (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/destination-989820/)

callerid Aug 26th, 2013 10:34 AM

Destination

Does anyone know a place in the US that is similar to Cancun in that it has everything at the resort. I am looking for a beachfront resort with restaurants, entertainment, shops and vacation atmosphere. My spouse is undergoing treatment for cancer He needs rest and relaxation but activities if he has the energy. It will be around the second week of September. I do not want to leave the US because of his medical condition.

Thanks

vjpblovesitaly Aug 26th, 2013 10:42 AM

If you don't get responses, you might want to repost with a more descriptive and accurate thread title. Take a look at others to get an idea.

You can also tag whatever states you might be limiting yourself to. Maybe something in Florida.

This is two weeks away?

callerid Aug 26th, 2013 10:54 AM

I know it's only two weeks but we feel the need to go somewhere after this treatment. Do you know of anywhere in Florida that meets these criteria?

happytrailstoyou Aug 26th, 2013 11:08 AM

South Beach in Miami comes to mind, but September is one of the wettest months there--and it is hot.

Hawaii is another possibility--it is in the States.

However, I can't think of any place in the contiguous forty-eight states that is like Cancun. I would investigate Laguna Beach, California, and other towns in Orange County for up-scale beach resorts. Texas may be another possibility.

HTtY

jayne1973 Aug 26th, 2013 11:46 AM

The only people I knew that actually did something like that in the U.S. stayed at a Disney resort. I would contact someone with Florida tourism. I bet there is something that would fit your bill. Best of luck to you and your husband.

voyager61 Aug 26th, 2013 02:45 PM

I don't know where you live and what your budget is, so it's hard to make specific recommendations. Hawaii offers what you are looking for and has good medical care, but it is a more expensive trip than Florida and a long way from the East Coast. I would contact a travel agent with regard to Florida resorts that would meet your criteria, because I am sure there is something. There are some lovely desert resorts in Arizona and Palm Springs, but it's not the beach, of course.

Good luck with this. I think with more specific ideas on budget and where you live, you will get additional responses.

spirobulldog Aug 26th, 2013 04:22 PM

Almost the US. US Virgin Islands Maybe St. John. Really not that far on airplane.

Perhaps a trip to the Keys?

BumbleB6 Aug 26th, 2013 06:24 PM

Clearwater Beach, near Tampa FL, has many resort-type hotels, many with their own private beach. Over ten years ago, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort in Clearwater Beach (not to be confused with Clearwater, the other town nearby) but it's not an all-inclusive. This was over ten years ago, too, and I don't know if its still there. It had a restaurant on site, a private beach, pool, shuffleboard courts, and within close walking distance, many shops and restaurants and activities like cruises on the Gulf of Mexico, etc.
Holiday Inn Sunspree was not the only hotel like this though, there were many more.
If interested, I'd check out Clearwater Beach on tripadvisor and see what hotels are there, and look at the activities/things to do, read the hotel reviews and see if it's for you.

I would bet that the Panhandle area of Florida - Destin, Fort Walton, etc. - might have some resort-type hotels as well.
I was in Destin a couple of years ago but rented a condo. It was not really my cup of tea, as the only thing to do there is swim, go to the beach, eat and shop. Not much else except for go-karts and parasailing. But it can be relaxing if you want to just be by the water all day. My brother and SIL go over year, they like it so much.
I preferred Clearwater Beach myself; it had a little more local character (just a little though) and seemed to be more places to walk to from the hotel. There's a sort of main tourist strip and it's near the water.

The kids should all be back in school now, so these places would probably not be that crowded right now, either.
Do keep in mind it's officially hurricane season, but I personally have not heard anything forecasted. Something to be aware of though and keep an ear out for...

BumbleB6 Aug 26th, 2013 06:34 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...r_Florida.html

Ok well the Holiday Inn Sunspree in C.B is apparently no more and has been demolished. But it's been replaced by Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites. Never stayed at this one, but it seems to get favorable reviews on TA. Reading the reviews, it sound similar to the old one.
Btw, Clearwater and Clearwater Beach are right next to each other, I was under the impression that C.B. is a seprate town unto itself, but but now I'm not sure... If you go there, though, you definitely want to stay on Clearwater Beach and not Clearwater - with the latter, you might now be on the beach.

Hope you find a place to suit your needs and I hope you and your spouse get the rest and relaxation you need. Hope your spouse has a smooth recovery as well.

DebitNM Aug 26th, 2013 07:13 PM

Sandpiper, Club Med.

http://www.clubmed.us/cm/sandpiper-f...ANC-ac-vh.html

Even though it is a family friendly Club Med, most kids are back in school by September.

callerid Aug 27th, 2013 02:03 AM

Thank you all so much.I am going to call a ravel agent today. Hawaii may be too long of a flight. So I am leaning towards Florida.

cd Aug 27th, 2013 05:34 AM

St Pete Beach in Florida has some resorts and it is a great area. The best of all (and also expensive) is: http://www.loewshotels.com/Don-CeSar-Hotel But you could Google St Pete Beach Resorts to find more

HappyTrvlr Aug 27th, 2013 05:56 PM

Hyatt Clearwater is very nice.

Gretchen Aug 28th, 2013 04:31 AM

I think Marco Island may have resorts also. Naples? The Ritz Carlton?

DebitNM Aug 28th, 2013 05:50 AM

Since the OP seemed to indicate that she is looking for an AI [All Inclusive] Club Med makes the most sense. They have been doing it for a long time and have it down pat. It is often a very cost effective way to get it all in one place with little effort.

doug_stallings Aug 28th, 2013 08:16 AM

If you don't need the resort to be all-inclusive, there are any number of choices that would be suitable in Florida. Lots of them in fact. I like the idea of Naples, which no only has great hotels but excellent dining and shops nearby.

Amelia Island would also be a great choice. Marco Island (near Naples) is a great spot. There are lots of resorts in Clearwater near Tampa, is great, as would be St. Pete Beach.

There are also a lot of resorts like that in the Keys, but they require driving some distance from the airport.

Frankly, Hilton Head would also be a great choice if you don't mind going to South Carolina instead of Florida.

doug_stallings Aug 28th, 2013 08:24 AM

By the way, I think Club Med Sandpiper is great (and has received some needed attention from the company), but I think of it more as a family resort, and the atmosphere may not be what the OP is looking for. (Or may be exactly what the OP is looking for.) But it also requires a longish drive from the airport.