Destin/Sanibel, Florida????????

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:01 PM
zach

Destin/Sanibel, Florida????????

Hi There,
Already planning a trip for June. Florida keeps coming to our minds and so I've read many, many posts here concerning both areas.

We are a mid-40's couple looking for some R&R. Would like pretty scenery and maybe some sight seeing. Night life not important.

I've read comparisons between Destin and its surrounding area and Sanibel and its surrounding area but nothing that compares Destin to Sanibel.

What are the differences and or similarities of these? What is the distance between the two?

ANY help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:14 PM
susan

I haven't been to Sanibel so I can't compare the two, but I've been to Destin many times. The beaches are perfectly beautiful, but I've never considered Destin much of a sight seeing destination. Nor is it a walking town...everything is along a highway strip so you find yourself in the car a lot. The distance between Destin and Sanibel is nearly 600 miles.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:32 PM
OO

Water, sand color and texture are prettier/nicer feeling (sand) in Destin, and the water is generally clearer. Shelling though, can't compare to the shelling in Sanibel, and last time we were in Destin the traffic had grown to nightmare proportions--not as bad in Sanibel.

Sanibel offers more to do away from the beach, some shops to explore, Ding Darling preserve for kayaking or canoeing, bike riding/jogging/rollerblading on the bike paths.

I love the water and beach quality in Destin, but both are quite nice in Sanibel too, and for overall enjoyable vacation time, I'd head to Sanibel.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 10:38 PM
Tara

Like Susan, never been to Sanibel, but many times to Destin. Nothing in the way of sightseeing there, but you can definitely rest. Very nice outlet mall there too.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 05:09 AM
Sharon

just returned from a week on Sanibel. The beaches are coarser sand and not the sugar sand found in the panhandle area. The beaches are very natural with a lot of shells due to the island's orientation facing south. Lots of restaurants, nice shops, Shell museum that is more interesting than you would think, natural tours and fantastic fishing. My recommendation is to charter a flats boat for a day of nature watching and fishing (if you want) in the Pine Island sound on the bay side of the barrier island. June is a nice time as the water has warmed enough to swim but the hurricane season hasn't come in with its daily thunderstorms. We had a very memorable meal at Katie Gardenia's Mermaid Club, a crazy place. Very sophisicated cuisine and excellent wine list and awesome desserts. Sanibel is notable for its policies regarding growth and limiting heights of buildings. Nothing over 3 stories so there are no high rises impeding views, etc.