Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Desperately Searching for a Rental Home This Summer in Cental Mass.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Alex

This is a last resort option, we've tried everything else, and have been coming up short.

Good, honest family of 5 is searching for a summer rental home in the Central Massachusetts area. Looking for availability from approx. July 23-August 23; either for part of that time (a week or two?), or for the entire time.

In the past they have "House-Sat" for people that went away on vacation, but have yet to find a place this time.

Does anyone know of a resource for this type of thing? Or maybe you personally know of someone who has a home to rent, or would like some $$$ while they are away from their home this summer?

Any and all information is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Judy

Where do you have in mind when you say "central MA"?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 02:33 PM
T.M

Worcester County would be ideal, but at this point we'll consider just about anything!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Anti-Chowd

Why would you want to spend any time, let alone two weeks to a month in the summer in Central Mass?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Alex

Granted, Cental Mass. is not exactly the Caribbean. But T.M. is coming to Mass. to visit family and friends (like me!) that she hasn't seen in quite some time.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Judy

Why do you use a different name each time you respond? I am trying to figure out what you are really asking here - so do you want to find a house rental for 1-2 weeks in MA? Or is this for someone you know? Can you tell me more about what your needs are like how much are you willing to pay, what ammenities are you wanting, etc.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Alex

I am writing for someone I know, which is T.M. who also responded earlier.

She is an American who lives in France, and is looking to come home this summer with her family.

She is not picky at this point. Looking for basic kitchen necessities (fridge, sink, stove, etc.)and sleeping quarters. Nothing fancy, their budget is tight (no $1,000/week places), but they will consider any and all offers.

The reason for the wide range of time (2-4 weeks) is because we thought if no one had anything for the entire 4 weeks (the ideal), then maybe someone may have something for 2 weeks, and someone else may have another place for 2 weeks, so she could work something out between several places, if need be.

I'm sure she will check in at some point with budget ideas, but at this point, she'll consider anything within reason.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:06 PM
kate

http://lee.iberkshires.com/classifieds/classifieds.php3?class_id=16

I am not sure this is even where your TM wants to be,but it could be a start.Why not look in the classifieds of the towns in the area that you/TM are thinking of?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 10:26 PM
TM

I've had family and friends looking in the classifieds for weeks now, and I've done just about everything I can online; nothing so far. Please feel free to email me with anything interesting you might know of..although budget does not permit the classic 'vacation rental' or hotel rates, we're not actually looking for palace-quality accommodations either. Basic cooking and washing facilities, and room to sleep 5, even if that means someone will be using a sleeping and floorspace...as my good friend mentioned, we've been lucky in the past in finding people who have needed us to house and pet-sit (four years ago we mucked out barns and fed and watered horses, gave injections to diabetic cats...it really is a good story, actually!) and would be more than willing to do so again. Although if we could avoid the diabetic cats this time, that might be preferable...wandering through the countryside at night with a hypodermic while calling for a cat named Moses had a few people bolting their doors and drawing their blinds at the sight of me....

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Parrot Mom

May I suggest you look into renting one of the hotel/suites that are mini apartments in Westboro on Route 9.. There are also some apartments that the computer companies use that are completely furnished. I know there are some in Marlborough and Westboro.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Suzy

It might not be too late to arrange a home exchange. Try www.swapnow.com and www.homeexchange.com

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:29 AM
gail

I live in Eastern Mass - but apartment and hotel occupancies are down in many areas, so these thoughts may hold in Central Mass as well. Even with that, the problem you are encountering is that this length of time is too long for a hotel to be a reasonable price and too short for an apartment (most require 6-12 months). Also, you would need something furnished.

The best suggestion I can come up with is to contact individual apartment complexes (you might have to do a "yellow Pages" search on the web) and see if some place has a furnished place they would let you rent. I am not real optimistic about this being successful, but it is worth a try if you are really stuck.

You also might contact chain suite hotels - some which advertise as "extended stay" individually (not on 800 number or web site) and speak with manager about getting some sort of deal for a stay of that length.

One last thought is to hang signs at churches, synagogues, schools looking for someone who will be away for the summer who might want to rent to you.

Since your friend is living in France, one additional roadblock is that most places will want local references - I am not sure how they will feel about renting to someone who, although they are likely a "good, honest family" they have little recourse if they trash the place and then leave the country.

Your friends are lucky to have you putting in so much effort for them.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Sara

Here's a thought - both Worcester and the Amherst/Northampton area have several colleges and universities. Students that live in off-campus apartments usually have to rent them for a full year, most likely starting in June. Unless they are attending summer school, their apartments are likely to be empty over the summer. If their lease allows subletting, maybe you could arrange to stay in a student apartment? You could check with some colleges in the area to see if this is feasible.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:44 AM
TM

Thanks to all for your suggestions--some are hard to do from here in France, but I've got family (and good friends) working on it. Hopefully we'll get lucky...QUICKLY.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:03 AM
sandy

Try an e-search in the local newspaper classified.

Try the Boston Globe: boston.com

Not sur ethe exact websites of otehr papers but the names are:

Worcester Telegram and Gazette
(truly central MA)

MetroWest Daily News (really western suburbs of Boston but borders "central MA)

Springfield Union News
(really western MA but borders areas of central MA)

Schools were great idea:
UMass Medical School is in Worcester as are
Clark University and
The College of the Holy Cross

Best of Luck!