Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Denver trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/denver-trip-1708734/)

rinahen99 Jul 1st, 2022 01:26 PM

Denver trip

We are attending a conference in Denver the end of July and have a couple of extra days to sightsee. We have honed in on doing RMNP and the Summit County area (Breckinridge/Frisco)... wondering what makes the most sense to do first? We are leaving Denver early Wednesday morning if that helps. Better to go to the Park first or do the route from Denver to Breck and then end in RMNP? Help need to make reservations soon... thanks so much! Also just curious.. how far is Glenwood Springs from Breckinridge... wondering if we could squeeze in Hanging Lake?
Oh I need more time.. ugh.

Rina

PrairieHikerI Jul 1st, 2022 02:29 PM

I would do RMNP first while you are fresh. It's very crowded in the summer, so the earlier the better. The last time I was there it was bumper-to-bumper on Trail Ridge Road, the highest highway in America. Not sure if Glenwood Springs would be worth your time.

Gretchen Jul 1st, 2022 03:25 PM

Go to the Park and drive through to the western "entrance" and then back down to 70 and Summit County. As I always say, get a paper map and look at it.
The distances are not great and Glenwood Springs is easily doable if you want. Nearby Aspen, the Roaring Fork, Maroon Bells could be more interesting.
What do you want to do in your time. You can do some fly fishing with a guide. You can do some hiking. Zip lines. Biking.

I'm not sure reservations will be a big problem . VRBO or even hotels.com. Festivals happen and Aspen has a big pressure but there are lots of places to stay. Decide what you want to do.
Aspen/Glenwood Springs is maybe 2 hours from Breck.

tomfuller Jul 1st, 2022 04:12 PM

Glenwood Springs has the world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool. It also has a chairlift up to Glenwood Cavern. East of town is a great hiking/biking trail along the river into the Glenwood Canyon. The lodging in Glenwood Springs is less expensive than in Aspen (41 miles).
If you would be interested in a rail journey, the westbound Amtrak California Zephyr leaves Denver Union station shortly after 8AM (sometimes late) with stops in Winter Park and Kremmling before going through the beautiful Glenwood Canyon arriving in Glenwood Springs in mid afternoon. The view from the train is more spectacular than driving through the canyon on I-70

PrairieHikerI Jul 2nd, 2022 06:23 AM

Aspen is a fun place to visit. You can rent bikes and go on the paved Rio Grande Trail along the rushing, clear Roaring Fork River. When in RMNP be sure to go on one of the hiking trails such as Bear Lake. www.earthtrekkers.com/best-hikes-in-rocky-mountain-national-park/

fmpden Jul 2nd, 2022 10:00 AM

RMNP and Breckenridge are not in a line. The park is NW of Denver and Breck is almost due west. I would hit the park first. The park may be working with timed entries -- so check the web site. The same is true for Hanging lake in Glenwood canyon. The drive through the park without stopping is slow so allow lots of time. Once through the park you still a good two hours or more to Breck but it is a pretty drive.

Glenwood canyon and Glenwood is another two hours from Breck via I-70. You could do any all day loop from Breck to Leadville, Independence pass into the southside of Aspen to Glenwood and back to Breck. Some don't like Independence pass since it is an old style mountain road with sharp switchbacks and min guard rails but a beautiful drive. If you only want to go to Leadville, there is a ten mile paved, nearly flat, hiking/bike trail that is like an outdoor museum that snakes through Leadville' s mining history. Rent bikes - easier. It is the Mineral Belt trail. Stay in either Breck or Frisco. There is lots to see and do around Breckenridge.

Melnq8 Jul 2nd, 2022 10:33 AM

Don't forget about timed entry into RMNP:

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvis...mit-system.htm