Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Denver tomorrow (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/denver-tomorrow-809122/)

jfawp Oct 6th, 2009 06:43 AM

Denver tomorrow

Flying into Denver tomorrow - any chance there is still any beautiful areas for leaf viewing?

spirobulldog Oct 6th, 2009 07:14 AM

Had a friend there last week. She said the Aspens were spotty. Meaning- some were great and then trees right next to them had pretty much lost all of their leaves. I think she was near the Beaver Creek area.

hglightly Oct 6th, 2009 07:40 AM

If you can get to Beaver Creek (already posted) or around Evergreen maybe a shot Whatever the place it's all beautiful
HG

tekwriter Oct 6th, 2009 11:31 AM

Of course, Beaver Creek is a two-hour drive from Denver and their foliage is a lot further along than here on the Front Range. The Denver metro area's foliage is actually just starting to get good, so in and around the city, there will be colorful areas. The weather is going to be great - sunny and warm. If you have a car, take a drive to Golden via I-70, then up to Boulder via Hwy 93. There are some overlooks to the Flatirons with a lot of aspens in the foreground that should be spectacular. If you have more time, drive up the Boulder Canyon via Hwy 119 to Nederland, then south along the Peak-to-Peak Highway. They may be past peak foliage already, but there's still plenty of color to make the drive worth it.

jfawp Oct 6th, 2009 12:22 PM

Thank you SO MUCh. That is just what I was looking for. I have not made a reservation for tomorrow night cause I wanted to try to find some beautiful aspen. Any suggestions as to where to spend the night, after we view some foliage, we're heading toward Estes Park. Thanks for any imput!! I'm so excited!

jfawp Oct 6th, 2009 12:25 PM

tekwriter, We're getting into Denver around 9:00 a.m., so should we spend one or two nights, renting a car and heading out. Should we spend one or two nights in the areas you mentioned above before heading to Estes Park?

historytraveler Oct 6th, 2009 01:22 PM

Good suggestions from tekwriter. Tomorrow's weather looks great (Oct.7th) however, we're expecting snow in the mountains and in Denver over the weekend.

For a place to stay in Estes, I'd try somwhere along Fall River road just west of Estes and before you enter RMNP.

tekwriter Oct 6th, 2009 01:37 PM

Hi Jfawp, the route I mentioned is actually a way to get to Estes Park... just take a right at Nederland to go north on Hwy 72, instead of a left. Hwy 72 intersects with Hwy 7 North towards Allenspark and Estes Park. It is not that far to Estes Park, even on this zig-zag route, so an overnight stay is not needed. Spend your time in Estes and RMNP. See if there's a room available at The Woodlands or Boulder Brook, both very nice condo-like properties on Fall River Road, very convenient to town and the park. Snow is predicted for this weekend, but it's hard to say if it will be a serious storm or not. It's all so beautiful, in any weather!

jfawp Oct 6th, 2009 04:16 PM

Thank you both, checking into that now. Doing some last minute packing, know I won't sleep tonight!! We'll be gone most of this month, so I'll let you know how our trip went when we get back. Thanks a bunch. Jean

jfawp Oct 6th, 2009 04:17 PM

I'll check this again before I turn in for the night to see of anyone else has posted!