Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Denver to Moab- Scenic Drive (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/denver-to-moab-scenic-drive-529958/)

Stacy May 18th, 2005 06:45 AM

Denver to Moab- Scenic Drive

What is the most scenic drive from Denver to Moab? We would like to avoid the interstate as much as possible and could stay one night somewhere on the way. We would like to get an idea of what this area is like so we can plan an extended trip there later.

This is a small part of an across country three week trip from our home to Moab, then Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, North Rim Grand Canyon, Sedona, and back home via New Mexico and Texas.

Thanks in advance.

utahtea May 18th, 2005 02:10 PM

Interstate 70 west from Denver all the way though Colorado and Utah has to be the most scenic interstate I've ever seen...and I've seen a lot!

We haven't driven on all the back roads of Colorado but I highly recommend Hwy 82 from Baltown, over Independence Pass, though Aspen to Glenwood Springs.

At Grand Junction, CO drive thought Colorado National Monument to Fruita and pick up I-70.

Once in Utah exit I-70 at Cisco and take scenic Highway 128 into Moab...this is really a beautiful back road once you cross the Colorado River.

Utahtea

Grasshopper May 18th, 2005 02:28 PM

I agree with Utatea. Highway 70 is very scenic and not your ordinary interstate. Wait til you go through Glenwood Canyon. It's just beautiful. I think if you want to stop somewhere, I'd stop in Glenwood Springs. It's about 3 hours from Denver. Moab is another 3 and a half from GS.

If you want to take a break you can visit Georgetown, Frisco or Vail along the way on your first day. I recommend a ride on the Georgetown train. It's a pretty ride. Don't get right behind the steam engine.

Stacy May 20th, 2005 07:46 AM

We came back on I70 from an earlier trip to Utah so my husband would like to try a different route this time. He is interested in returning to this area for an extended time later. On the one route is there any places we should stop and stretch? We have children that like to get out of the car.
Stacy

utahtea May 20th, 2005 10:15 AM

Depending on which route you take to get to hwy 82, Leadville is the highest elevation city, at the top of Independence pass is a lookout (don't miss it like DH did!) We stopped at a picnic area to eat lunch between the top of the pass and Aspen. Aspen would be a great place to stop but we didn't have the time.

Colorado National Monument will have plenty of turn outs.

On Hwy 128 once you cross the Colorado River on the new bridge there is a little picnic area to view the old one lane Dewey Bridge...we crossed that bridge back in the 1970's! You could stop at Fisher Towers to explore and there are a lot of pull outs along the Colorado River before you reach Moab. Watch for the rafts after Fisher Tower.

Utahtea