Denver to Moab, Arches and Rocky Mountain NP

Jan 8th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Denver to Moab, Arches and Rocky Mountain NP

I've narrowed down our summertime nine night trip to fly into Denver, spend two nights there, drive to Moab, spend three nights (that gives us two days for Arches and Canyonlands), spend 2 nights on the way to Rocky Mountain National Park (where?) and then two nights near Boulder (to visit Rocky Mountain NP). Then we'll fly out of Denver.

I am thinking that it would be nice to stay somewhere near Vail for two nights? But what would you suggest? Just one night on the way to Rocky Mountain NP, and an extra night at one of the other places instead? We like beautiful scenery, short hikes, and my husband and son will be biking in Moab. I also read about riding the chair lift up to the top of the mountain in Vail and then riding down on a bike, and thought that I might even be up for that.

What would you suggest?
Jan 9th, 2016, 03:49 AM

Stay in Aspen.
For the Park stay in Estes.
Jan 9th, 2016, 05:13 AM

I'd spend only one night in Denver and add another night to Moab. If you want to see Arches and Canyonlands and mountain bike, you'll need at least one more day. Moab will likely be pretty hot, so factor that into your plans there. And I'd stay in Estes Park for RMNP, not in or near Boulder.

Are you experienced mountain bikers? Downhill mountain biking is generally not for the inexperienced--but I admittedly don't know the specifics of the trail in Vail you're considering.
Jan 9th, 2016, 07:57 AM

I think once you get there you will regret only 2 days in Moab. Not nearly enough.
Jan 9th, 2016, 02:42 PM

I don't think your spending enough time anywhere. What do you plan on doing in Denver for 2 days?
Jan 9th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Well, it would be one day in Denver, really, and I just thought we'd toot around and see what's there. How much time do you think each of those places need?

I think that I'll add a day to Moab. Other thoughts? Why Aspen?

Thanks!
Jan 9th, 2016, 04:14 PM

If Aspen is too expensive try Glenwood Springs. It is 41 miles away along I-70. They have the world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool and a couple big old hotels.
There is a good bus service from Glenwood Springs to Aspen.
Things to do/see in Denver include the state capitol building and the US mint.
Jan 10th, 2016, 05:21 AM

I am admittedly not a huge fan of Denver. There are things to do there but I wouldn't choose to stay there at the expense of the other locations in your itinerary. But note my username! I'd rather hike than see the Mint!