Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Denver to Gunnison,Ouray: route+weather.etc.
Notices

Denver to Gunnison,Ouray: route+weather.etc.

Aug 25th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Denver to Gunnison,Ouray: route+weather.etc.

Planning to fly into Denver late October and drive down to Gunnison ,the Black Canyon and Ouray area on our meandering way to ABQ. From Denver, would we drive via Rt. 50 all the way from Pueblo, or cut down Rt.285 (Fairplay,BuenaVista,Poncha Springs) ?
We understand it gets pretty cold there at night...so should we bring down jackets? Would there be a possibility of snow in the area at that time, or road closures?
What is in Crested Butte (besides skiing)...is this a historic town?
We (hub and I are in early 60's) are also looking for recommendations for places to stay in Gunnison or thereabouts.
Aug 26th, 2013, 04:58 AM

If it were me, I'd take 285 from Denver, more scenic than the drive down I-25 to Pueblo. Bring your down jackets--you are correct--nights are chilly by late October, especially at altitude. Yes, it could snow especially at the higher elevations, though closures of highways not too likely--but always possible.

Crested Butte is a national historic district besides being a ski town. http://www.allcrestedbutte.com/histo...c_district.php
Aug 26th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Crested Butte is a super cute old Victorian town. Definitely take the time to drive up and see the town and eat at the great restaurants. They also have awesome hiking. Totally different than Gunnison and Ouray.
Aug 26th, 2013, 03:55 PM

I experienced my first case of altitude sickness while driving thru Monarch Pass on our way to Gunny from Denver after a sleepless night and a flight from the east coast. Luckily it was a case of tear induced laughing hysteria and some hyperventilating due to altitude, exhaustion, lack of food and not hydrating enough. We adored our time in Crested Butte as well.

Search this Thread