Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Denver hotel -near Denver U (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/denver-hotel-near-denver-u-1112995/)

nannibray Jun 16th, 2016 05:40 AM

Denver hotel -near Denver U

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Denver that is close to light rail transit to airport and Denver Univ?
We will fly into Denver to visit Denver University. What are a few hotels whose location will allow us transport from DEN airport-- to hotel--to Denver U---and back to airport via light rail? We do not want to rent a car.
Mid price range is best...Marriotts Fairfield Inn ...or similar. Thanks so much.

sylvia3 Jun 16th, 2016 06:10 AM

That's a very long distance. If you are staying more than 1 night, why not stay near DU instead of the airport? You could check out campus neighborhoods, restaurants, even downtown instead of being marooned in the desert that is the airport.

sylvia3 Jun 16th, 2016 06:19 AM

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. Point is, the light rail isn't on the campus, and you will be doing transfers. Might filter for DU hotels that have free airport shuttle service. The Cherry Creek area is pretty close.

DebitNM Jun 16th, 2016 06:24 AM

Can you be more specific as to price per night including tax? Also when is this for - month and mid week or weekend?

I am not an expert on the light rail, have used it a few times.

#1 - The A line goes from airport to Union Station. Then you would need to get on the E line to go to the university. And reverse it to go back.

#2 - You can take a bus to Nine Mile station and then take the light rail to U of D.

Do you want to stay downtown or somewhere along the way to/from U of D or by UofD?

DebitNM Jun 16th, 2016 06:25 AM

DU, not UofD, sorry.

wtm003 Jun 16th, 2016 06:27 AM

The light rail does stop at the University of Denver. I'd stay downtown since it's easy to access light rail to DU and the airport. If you stay in Cherry Creek you'd need to use bus service in addition to light rail.

wtm003 Jun 16th, 2016 06:38 AM

From downtown you can use the E, F, or H line.

The E line runs from Union Station. F and H run from 16th and California. There are hotels near both.

wtm003 Jun 16th, 2016 06:39 AM

Those lines go to DU from downtown.

DebitNM Jun 16th, 2016 06:49 AM

And to repeat, you would need to take A line from/to airport.

It really depends on where OP prefers to stay.

The A/E/F/H combo works best for staying down town.

Airport bus to Nine Mile station and then the H line if you want to avoid downtown and stay near university.

You can stay here and get free airport shuttle and then use the H line to get to and from university.

https://www.radisson.com/aurora-hotel-co-80014/usadsco

depending on when, this might work out for your price. My son lives right near there; not much in the way of things to see or do, limited food options but certainly the most convenient IF you want to avoid downtown.

Gretchen Jun 16th, 2016 08:17 AM

Isn't there a Loew's on Colorado? Taxis are cheap, relatively in Denver.
How long are you staying? A car might really be nice if more that 2 days. Denver is easy to navigate being on a grid. BUT it also has good transit.

wtm003 Jun 16th, 2016 08:23 AM

The Loews on Colorado is now a Hyatt Place. I don't like the location of the Hyatt Place or the Radisson at I-225 & Parker.

sylvia3 Jun 16th, 2016 09:44 AM

Just a FYI, the rail stop for DU is a bit of a walk from campus proper.

nannibray Jun 16th, 2016 10:53 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. the information is for my daughter and her
high school son.
Date is for Tuesday June 28 for 1 night. Main purpose is to visit DU.
They will be spending the previous week in Steamboat Springs with family and want to check out the University before flight home to Chicago. Family members will drop them off at the hotel in Denver after our family's week stay in Steamboat.
They will then visit the Univ....sleep....and fly home on the 29th.
I don't think she wants to pay anymore than $150. - 200 for the 1 night.
I like the idea of the hotel providing a transfer. She can keep that in mind when booking.

Any other suggestions for hotel near DU.
Would she be better off staying Downtown?

wtm003 Jun 16th, 2016 12:17 PM

I just looked at a couple of booking websites and most of the hotels are booked for that night including the two mentioned above. They may need to look at a suburban hotel on a light rail line.

Gretchen Jun 17th, 2016 02:54 AM

It is interesting what wtm said--wonder what is going on that week. I also took a look and "just missed" a room at the Hyatt.
FYI, if you find something in the Denver Tech center it could be good --it is on the light rail and there are good hotels there catering to the travelling business people for the Tech Center. They will also be harder to find during the week unfortunately.

Tabernash2 Jun 17th, 2016 08:45 AM

There really aren't hotels that close to DU. Did you look at the university's website, and see what lodging they recommend for campus visitors?

Tabernash2 Jun 17th, 2016 09:02 AM

Here you go: http://www.du.edu/communityvisitors/...rs/hotels.html

I'd start there.

Gretchen Jun 17th, 2016 10:31 AM

It's true there aren't, but the booking sites are only listing the nasty motels as "available". I know that isn't the last word, but they usually also have ALL the city hotels.