Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Denver Airport to Mt Elbert (Leadville) Area - which hotel for 1 nt? Leadville Super 8 or Lodge at Breckenridge or ?

Denver Airport to Mt Elbert (Leadville) Area - which hotel for 1 nt? Leadville Super 8 or Lodge at Breckenridge or ?

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming from Maryland on July 18th and plan to hike to the top of Mt Elbert, 2nd highest pt in the lower 48 states. We're highpointers and have to do all the high points we can before we die .

We get into Denver at 330pm on Friday and were planning to drive to Leadville to the Super * hotel It's $107 a nt, kind of high for a Super 8, so I was wondering if you have any other suggestions where to stay in the area? On hotels.com Beckenridge came up, but it's 1.5 hours away... We have to acclimate for 2 days to 10000 ft and both places are about 10000 ft high.

Leadville would put us closer to the mountain, I think it's only 30 minutes away to the trailhead. Breckenridge may be a much nicer resort and prettier views though rustic and furthur away.

I'm a Sheraton or Ritz Carlton guy usually when I'm with my family but with my buddy, we usually camp or do cheaper hotels to save money. Any secret finds I'm not thinking about from the airport to Leadville or in Leadville?

Thx,
Steve R
Gaithersburg MD
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Copper Mountain Lodge (past Breck, right on the way to Leadville)has condos for ~$110 on their website, probably could find even cheaper ski condo lodging there or in Breck or Keystone. Have you tried VRBO or other ski lodging websites vs. chain hotels?
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Try Craigslist, people who own condos in Breck or Copper Mountain routinely rent them out there for good rates. I don't recommend Leadville for 2 nights simply because there isn't much to do there.
I'd recommend staying in Breckenridge or Frisco just so for those two days you can enjoy a true Colorado mountain town. Plenty of good bars and restaurants as well as activities as opposed to Leadville which isn't much of a tourist destination.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM

One last thing, I've done the same hike with Breckenridge as the base and the drive isn't that bad. It may be long but the scenery is nice and since you'll likely be leaving early in the morning there will be very little traffic.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM

kate,

I certainly hope you don"t mean to imply that Leadville isn't "a true Colorado mountain town". Leadville has more history to it than Breck and Frisco combined, and a lingering authenticity that both Breck and Frisco lost long ago.

What Leadville lacks in trendy boutiques, touristy creature comforts, and upscale dining, it makes up for in rugged salt-of-the-earth authenticity.

stever,

If you want a "real" Colorado mountain town (not a New York City stylized version of a Colorado mountain town), go to Leadville. Eat steak at Quinceys, and have a shot and a beer in anyone of Leadvilles real saloons.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM

I agree. While Breckenridge and Frisco are great places, neither could be said to be an authentic/true Colorado town. Too much tourism in the last 15-20 years.

Leadville is actually more authentic if one is talking about a "true" Colorado mountain town. The Delaware Hotel is a good place to stay.I'm assuming it's still open for business.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Whoa whoa whoa people, calm down. My point is only that there is a reason more people choose to visit Breckenridge and Frisco in both the summer and winter, i.e. more lodging/food/activity options.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

WOW! And I thought this would be too obscure and topic to get any feedback at all. Fantastic information everyone, thanks. We'd like to stay in a beautiful location for that first night. I'll research the places you recommended and come up with a decision. The 2nd night, we though we'd have to camp in a campsite below the mountain like Half Moon Campground I think it's called. If they're filled up, we'll have to camp somewhere else I guess. We're not too picky for just one night. We must be close to the trailhead. We only have 1 day to do this and we can't afford any screwups, timewise!

I'll repost back here when I do a bit more research later tonight.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Update:

Just checked out more hotels. The Delaware hotel in Leadville doesn't great reviews anymore on Trip Advisor and doesn't look like our speed so we'll have to pass there.

The Inn of the Black Wolf in Twin Lakes CO

http://www.innoftheblackwolf.com/

looks interesting as it's very close to the trail and is $90 a nt but this place looks even better and is also 2 miles from the Trail. Anyone stay here or is familiar with it? It's $107 a night and both of these B and B's include breakfast.

http://www.oresandmine.com/index.html

So, the Super 8 in Leadville with ... TV!!! or one of these 2 B and B's with no TV? We kind of like to watch TV at night to relax but could live without it. This is a really hard decision... At the Ore and Mine the owner's been up and back to the top of Mt Elbert 22 times! At the Inn of the Black Wolf, the bartender is a guide to Mt Elbert. We wouldn't need a guide, but at least he'd be knowledgable.

Steve R
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM

stever,

I've stayed at the Super8 in Leadville. Simply as a place to crash for the night......it's adequate. A little rundown, but clean....... and the TVs work just fine. Can't tell you anything about the other places, but being able to pick peoples brains sure seems like an advantage.

Decisions..........decisions!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks furledleader. So, as a back up, the Super 8 will do for us then.

Anyone else stay at or heard of these other 2 B and B's?

Thanks to all!

Steve R
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM

We go to Colorado every year over Labor Day to get out of the Florida heat. Leadville is a favorite stop for breakfast as we head for the drive over Independence Pass. Don't miss the Golden Burro Saloon. http://www.goldenburro.com/
One of our favorite things is their live Burrocam. You can call your buddies back home and wave to them live from Colorado.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We ended up staying at the Ores and Mine B&B and it was amazing. The rooms are wild as they're decorated with really cool knick knacks from the mining days and the owners are SO helpful. He actually drove us, at 530am, all the way to the Mt Elbert 4 wheel drive trailhead to save us 2 miles on the hike to the top. He didn't have to wake up to do that for us, nor did they have to serve us breakfast at 5am!

The beds are extremely comfortable there and I've rarely met more friendly owners. He even built the base for the ping pong table from scratch of rough hewn wood. Cool stuff.

We ate at the new Doc Holidays for all of our meals in Leadville. It has amazing burgers and steaks and we ate at the bar. The owners are super friendly. Quincy's always had really long waits even at 450pm one day! Never got to eat there. Loved the "Kum and Go" gas station next to Doc Holidays. Got the matches and was tempted to buy a hat. Just loved that name.

Went to Aspen Co for a day and saw their great farmers market. Such high end living compared to Leadville. We drove all around Aspen and ate at Boogies Diner which was a really fun experience. The shirts for sale was the highlight of our trip there . They had some really funny shirts.

Made the hike to Mt Elbert in 3hrs 45min to the top and got back in 2.5 hours to the car. Had to wait 4 hours for my buddy to make it back! He's a really slow hiker, but at least we both made it and at least our car had A/C and I'm glad I had a book with me for that wait.

Next, Mt Rogers in Virgina. Tried it once and got lost at the top. Trying it again on Aug 9th. 7+ hours drive each way to get there, and I'm doing it alone this time. My buddy has already done it. All in one long day!

Steve R
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 07:37 AM

I don't know what you've decided about Leadville, but there is a really nice travel article in the NYTimes this week about Leadville.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM

stever,

Great,concise trip report. Glad to hear all went well and the decision to go with the B&B worked to your advantage - even more so than you expected.

Good luck on your quest. Let me know when you get to Timm's Hill in Wisconsin.