Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Denver- 3 days to discover- what's your top 10? (aswell as RMNP)

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 3 days in Denver mid-August- we will go to RMNP 1 day- but what other 'must sees' are there?

We'll be heading into Yellowstone afterwards where we will be devoid of usual commercial trappings so we want to get our mall shopping and Taco Bell style-cravings out of our system in Denver. We will visit Colorado Mills outlet mall- does anyone know of any other outlets in the Denver area?

We are going to the Gypsy Kings concert in Red Rocks- so that's one evening taken care of. I believe we'll be a tad jet-lagged so not really up to very late night activities.

Was thinking of somewhere that is typically American, something that is only in Denver. I enjoy history so something about the Indian culture or the 'discovery' of the mid-west could be interesting. (have done a lot of art museums already this year)

Is the Coors Brewery fun? Can you visit Budweiser too? (I think it's on the way to Yellowstone so we could pop in)
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 03:24 AM

Another outlet center is Castle Rock factory shops, south of Denver.

Other things to see in Denver:
Coors Field, the Denver Mint.

Just west of Denver: Buffalo Bill's grave on Lookout Mountain (nice views from there), Dinosaur Ridge (where you can see dinosaur tracks on the side of a mountain). There are also some bison farms just west of Denver - very interesting to see them just wandering around a field..they don't look like they're enclosed.

I've been to Coors Brewery, too. It's similar to other breweries I've visited, but nicer and with better beer. Golden is a nice town...looks kind of like the "old west".

Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:20 AM
gb

Coors is fun. But, unless there has been some major changes, I found the Mint boring. Buffalo Bill's at Lookout Mountain is a nice western museum. If you are in Denver on a weekend, check the Friday paper. There is always something going on. State and county fairs are this time of year, so maybe you could catch a rodeo. If you have kids, ours love Water World, as opposed to Elitches. If the Rockies are in town, there's always baseball. If not, you might want a short tour of the stadium. If the capital dome is open, it might be interesting to walk to the top. (It was closed last week). The Georgetown steam train and mine tour are good. Where are you from?
The Denver Art Museum has a good Indian Exhibit, and the Natural Science Museum is great. The Littleton Historic Museum (very small outdoor museum of farm life in Littleton) and Four Mile Historic park have docents and living history goings on during the summer. Check with schedules. There is also an outlet mall on the way to Estes Park if you take I 25 near Loveland. Of course, a day in Boulder is a nice diversion. Visit the pedestrian mall downtown or take a hike at Chatauga (spelling wrong) Park near the Flatirons. You usually can visit the National Center for Atmospheric Research for a self guided tour. The next two weeks in Littleton is Western Welcome Week, so there are different activities going on. Might be on the web. There's a small carnival, pancake breakfast, different contests, parade, local stuff. I'm guessing you are from out of the country if you crave Taco Bell. Instead of Taco Bell you might head down to S. Federal near Mississippi and get some real Mexican food or Thai food. There's also a couple of fun newer restaurants in the south part of town. Ildavino with real Italian style pizza and Bucca di Beppa (spelling) fun family style Italian food. There's the Melting Pot for expensive but delicious fondue. Mile High flea market is a cultural experience, one you may or may not enjoy. This time of the year, the local farmers market have great veggies, especially fresh corn and peaches.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi Suzanne, gb, live in London so this will be totally the opposite experience.

gb-Where is S. Federal? Is that 'Federal Heights' (my map is beside me)? Or do you mean the state of Missippi?!

From what you're saying there's certainly plenty to do in the Denver region... can't wait
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:29 AM

For a really fun, authentic and delicious Tex-Mex lunch in Denver go to Jack and Grills. It is on Federal at about 23rd--look it up. It is run by a charming Latino family who have upgraded this from a grill on the front porch to a real kitchen outfitted from an aucton of McNichols Arena. They are really nice folks. They also sell NM Chile powder. Look for Federal Blvd. on your map--not too far from I25 near the stadium.
Second the Denver Art Museum for Indian exhibits.
I recall something about the Colorado Outlets place--I think it may be a disappointment. Castle Rock is about 50 miles south of Denver and an excellent outlet. For 2 mall "experiences" go to Cherry Creek and Park Meadows.
For a real western experience that you won't find just anywhere--and since you are going to Red Rocks. Have dinner at The Fort in Morrison--near Red Rocks. It is primarily game and very colorful--in a building that looks like an old west fort. Also a tad expensive.
Another site you might look at is 5280.com .
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Colorado Mills has gotten pretty poor reviews since opening... I live near it and have been once or twice. It has 2000$ leather boots for a mere 700$ and other guchi types of deals. A few stores (Eddie Bauer, etc) are OK - but alot of it is over the top. And it's huge!! There are many better malls in CO (flatirons, park meadow, cherry creek) and a discount mall on the lower south side of Denver that someone can help with.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Hi -- yes, definitely go to Rocky Mtn Park at least one day. Denver does have plenty to do as well. We enjoy the Museum of Nature and Science and also the Aquarium. Casa Bonita is a fun Mexican place -- lots to watch while you eat. Enjoy your visit.

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:15 PM
gb

The part of S. Federal that has quite a few local Mexican restaurants is near Federal and Alameda, south of Alameda.(not Federal Heights, but Denver) You might put a question on the forum page as what is your favorite Mexican restaurant in Denver and where is it? I haven't been to the Fort since it's pricey, but reviews are always terrific. IMHO, Casa Bonita is a classic Denver institution with an interesting atmosphere, especially for kids. Except for the sopapillas, I think there is better Mexican food since it's kind of mass produced there. But, everyone needs to go there once.
By the way, while it is quite hot in Denver, you need to have a light winter jacket for evenings in the mountains and in Yellowstone.
Something I noticed about Colorado Mills is that only about 1/2 the stores are really outlet stores. In Castle Rock, the Nike outlet store is usually decent. Sales in town in the regular stores are pretty good now. Our European friends seem to like Kohl's, a low to moderate priced department store in many locations.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Casa Bonita is a children's restaurant although it might be a bit of a kick for someone from England. It is a western theme restaurant with a diving pool and a little western skit. It has a magic show and puppet show. Trust me on this--I was just there last week with our grands. If you don't have kids with you and want to eat Mexican go tothe Blue Ribbon Cafe on Broadway about Virginia--in front of Sam's. The food at Casa Bonita is pretty good, large servings and very reasonable. There will be a LONG line at almost any time but especially on week-ends--maybe up to an hour's wait.
It has been very hot inDenver--but dry heat!! You will need some layers up in Yellowstone, for sure. You can probably have a chuckwagon dinner in the Grand Tetons or yellowstone but this is not the same as dinner at the Fort. If you have a splurge budget I would highly recommend it. It is about $20+ per dinner. The game combo dinners are a little more. I am sure they have a website you could check.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:40 PM
gb

PS if you are over 30 or so, there's a great little store at Colorado Mills called "Christopher Banks" or locally known as the "Teacher's Store". They have great prices, especially on sale items on everyday sort of clothing that a "teacher" might wear to school. Good basics, simple, nice colors and very reasonably priced.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 12:01 PM

If you have any interest in railroads, the Colorado State Railroad Museum is in Golden, just west of Denver. I've visted many such museums and it is one of the better ones.

Its convenient to the Coors Brewry in Golden and the Buffalo Bill Grave and Museum on Lookout Mountain which have been mentioned previously and you could make a day of all three.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 01:12 PM

Several years ago we visited the Molly Brown (The Unsinkable of Titanic fame) house in downtown Denver. It had Victorian furnishings and was pretty interesting. Don't know if it is still open.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:19 PM

I have been checking "travel talk" the past 3 months but never got on "US" since we are planning to go to UK, Rome, and Greece. I just saw your post. We live in boulder, Co - but I grew up just north of Yellowstone park up by Pray, Montana. When you are in Yellowstone, be sure and see the grand canyon of yellowstone, the upper and lower falls,and my favorite the "mud pots". when you're at "Old Faithful" I try to go to the bar there and watch it shoot up while drinking a margarita. the old faithful lodge is nice and the food is usually good. IF you go to Mammoth Hot springs, drive into Gardner, MT just outside of Gardner is a town called Jardine. It has a gold mine there and they may still give tours. Further, north, in paradise valley (route 89) take the old road not the new one and go to Chico Hot springs. Also, at Imigrant, there is a restaurant that used to be a old saloon and barn. the tables are in what used to be a horse stall. the food is very good, too. hope you have a good trip.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Go to Applejack Liquor store in Wheatfield if you enjoy any kind of alcoholic beverages. I was like a kid in a candy store with the selection and prices. It's huge!