Denali Lodging & Itinerary - D Cabins, D River Cabins, or McKinley V Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beating myself up over making this decision...it seems to be down to Denali Cabins, Denali River Cabins, or McKinley Village Lodge.
http://www.denali-cabins.com/
http://www.denalirivercabins.com/denali_cabins.htm
http://www.denaliparkresorts.com/acc...age-lodge.aspx
From what I have read the lodge seems to have opened in 2009, but I have a feeling all the rooms aren't that new, its hard to tell from the website. Anyone been there?
All are located south of the park around MM 230.

I am also thinking about the itinerary while we are there .. (family of 4 - kids 11 and 8)
Is 3 nights my best bet?
Thinking Day 1 - drive up from Anchorage - probably getting a late start and taking our time up. Stop in Talkeetna for a bit.
Day 2 - Shuttle bus to Eielson so my the kids can enjoy Ranger programs and get their Jr. Ranger badges (and multiple stamps in the Parks Passports.)
Day 3 - Drive our car as far as we can. Visit other visitor centers - hike around these areas, see sled dogs, etc. Or do some type of excursion.
Day 4 - drive south...back towards Anchorage.

This itinerary is int he middle of the whole trip which has actually come out to 16 days with travel.
Day 1-2 Juneau
Day 3-10 InnerSea Discovery Cruise (juneau - Ketchikan)
Day 11 -14 is the Denali Portion
Day 14-16 still working on this - probably stay in Anchorage and do some day tripping. We fly out late on the 16th day.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Have only stayed at Denali Cabins (as mentioned in another thread already) but if I had to choose between these three I'd probably pick the Lodge, just because there are usually more things to do inside the main lodge building (in case you have some downtime due to rainy weather or whatever).

As for the itinerary, days 1 & 2 look right to me. Day 3 is "Drive our car as far as we can" ... you can only drive to the end of the paved road, 14 miles, so it doesn't take long to do this. You can no doubt do it after the day 2 trip to Eielson (not sure when you are going but in mid-summer it stays light almost 24 hours).

So for day 3 I personally would take the shuttle bus again (believe me, it seems different every day, with a different driver and different animal sightings), assuming the kids weren't bored with the first day. Maybe take it at a different time (ie, early to mid-day first trip, mid-day to late 2nd trip), or just sign up for one of the shorter trips.

Anyway, what you have is fine, it's just that the days are long and if you wanted to do more on day 3 you could easily do so.

I'm beating myself up over making this decision

Looks like you've put a lot of effort into making good choices, all the options you gave look fine.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 07:01 AM

You've got 3 very different places as the final choices - I can't figure out what criteria you used to get there. I've stayed at all 3, and the McKinley Village is the only one I'd stay at again unless price was my only criteria. You might want "character" rather than a standard hotel room, though - I have my own cabin so just want a really nice room at a good price. The buildings at the Village have been built at various times over the past almost-20 years - the higher the number the newer the building. The first 2 buildings (#1 and 2) are very noisy as they overlook the bus shuttle and parking areas. The rooms in the newest buildings are very nice.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 07:08 AM

Re Day 3, I agree with your plan for that day - drive to the Savage River at Mile 15 and go hiking, see the free sled dog demo, etc. The whitewater rafting is very good. For the best water you want the Nenana Gorge runs, with guests paddling - there are also much calmer upper-river runs, and when only the guide paddles they take an easier route through the gorge.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks!!! McKinley Village is booked at $199 a night and includes a $100 resort credit - I'm hoping it will cover breakfast for the 3 mornings for the 4 of us. I put in a request for building 6 or 7 (hopefully that will get us a new room in a new building!)
In the end comfort ruled over character.

We are thinking of not going rafting - and renting bikes to do some riding in the park. The kids and hubby are avid bikers here and would appreciate new terrain.

BTW, Any suggestions for the day trips for day 15-16 from Anchorage would be appreciated.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Meals are pricey - $100 won't come close to covering 12 breakfasts at the Village.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM

About an hour from Anchorage is the Musk Ox Farm which we (dh, 2 boys 9 and 12 and myself) found fun and the Independence Mine. Very close to each other and fun and interesting. We spent a few hours wandering around the Mine and hubby even tried some gold panning there. Matanuska Glacier is about 1/2 hour further from there.

We didn't make it to the cultural museum in Anchorage but that was on our list to do if you are wanting to stay right in Anchorage.

Or do the drive south of Anchorage toward Seward which is very scenic and has glaciers and a wildlife center.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Any suggestions for the day trips for day 15-16 from Anchorage would be appreciated.

Wouldn't be cheap and not sure if 8 year olds are allowed on all of them, but a bear-viewing fly-out day trip would likely be the highlight of your entire Alaska journey if you are like most people and get within a few yards of feeding bears. Specific area recommendations (Brooks or Wolverine Creek or ?) would depend on exactly when you are there.

Alternatively, instead of 3 days in Anchorage you could do an overnight (or 2) at Seward. Lots of things to do there.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Im booking my shuttle tickets. I have to pick a time to leave WAC. Ive read the earlier the better, but I dont want everyone to be exhausted because I woke them at 4 am. It looks like the 7 am is already booked up. Should I opt for 6:30 or 7:30am??
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM

The earlier the better for me, but YMMV