Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Delta to Oahu -- then what interisland flight to Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're (5 people) using Delta frequent flier miles to fly from Atlanta to Oahu in June; Kauai is our destination. Delta doesn't fly to Kauai.

We've looked at Aloha Air, which seems to have the best prices, but now that they've declared bankruptcy, I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. Any ideas?

(Aloha was previously cheaper than Hawaiian Airlines, but last night online it said there were 'no flights available,' so I'm not sure if it's sold out or they're not selling tickets now.)
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:47 AM
koa

True Aloha airlines has declared bankruptcy, but this is more of a restructuring ploy. Aloha is a longtime company in the islands and if its saying no flights available, its probably due to the flights being full. Both hawaiian and aloha airlines have reduced the amount of interisland flights to save on fuel costs.This means almost every flight is packed to the gills! Unfortunately, you dont have much choice, its either hawaiian or aloha.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:04 AM

Hawaiian Air is also in bankruptcy.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Is it better to go ahead and book flights if I find them, or should we wait until closer to June?
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:21 AM
iceeu2

Samsaf...seems we are planning the same destinations this year...and we are flying from Atlanta to Oahu..using Delta ff miles...also using Marriott Rewards points along the way..
Anyway, I probably won't book interisland flights until a bit closer to time and itinerary firms up..we are leaving Atlanta on May 13th..returning on May 28th.
We have always flown Aloha in the past, but will just go with the best flights to suit us and price this time. Hawaiian Air declared bankrupty in 2003, don't know if they are still restructing or what.
If you have any extra Amex rewards points..you can convert points to Hawaiian Air.

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:25 AM

Samsaf:

We who live here and fly regularly, can tell you we're paying higher and higher prices for inter-island flights. Airfares seem to rise monthly (argh!). Hawaiian has a 3-tier pricing schedule; the earlier you book, the lower the fare.

Add this to your own observation that the flight you wanted on Aloha, is already sold out -- and booking ASAP, appears to be a good option.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

Just a thought: the inter-island flights only take about 5000 frequent flier miles. If flights are booked or expensive, maybe this will be a good way to get your seats. 1/2 of our family flew on Aloha last summer and 1/2 flew on Hawaiian. We used some ancient Northwest miles that we got from MCI to get seats on the one airline and we used my daughter's United miles that were close to expiring to get the others.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I just checked, and Aloha does have those flights available now. Maybe it was just a glitch in the system yesterday.

I wish we could use frequent flier miles to from Oahu to Kauai, but we only have Delta miles, so I don't think that would work. I'll call Delta to find out if we could switch over to another airlines and still use some miles.

iceeu2, where are you staying on Kauai? Have you made your final plans yet? I'm assuming you live near Atlanta. We live in Suwanee.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:51 PM

Hi Samsaf,
We were scheduled to do the very same in mid January, but decided to redeposit our DAL miles and wait for first class upgrade seats DFW-HNL next Fall.
Looks like I should book the interisland flights now.
M
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
iceeu2

Samsaf, we are in Dalton (Chatsworth actually). The 2nd week on Kauai we are staying at The Pono Kai in Kapaa. Haven't done our firm itinerary yet for the first week, but thinking 4 or 5 days on Oahu (probably at the Ilihani) and then on to Kauai. May check out the new Courtyard for a few days or stay in Lihue at the Marriott for a few days.
You know, you may be able to convert some Delta miles to Continental and use them to fly one of the interisland flights.
You must be leaving as we are coming home.

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Mikemo, have fun in January, and be sure to tell us all about it! Auntimaria, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions for you as June approaches! Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions. Ajcolorado, I'm going to call Delta to ask about other airlines.

iceeu2, we have a busy month planned. On the 28th of May, our second daughter graduates from high school. On the 29th, she and I and a couple of her friends and their mothers are going on a mother/daughter cruise (4 nights) to celebrate their graduation. We get home from the cruise on June 3. On June 4, our family leaves for Kauai, and we get back on the 12th. On Monday, the 13th, our youngest child (son) has some major surgery on his jaw. That's one reason we wanted to go to Hawaii even for such a short time -- we thought it would be a good way for us not to think about the upcoming surgery.

We usually like to spread our trips out a little more, but because of our son's surgery, I knew he wouldn't be able to travel for the rest of the summer.

SO I have to be completely prepared for the graduation, cruise, Hawaii and the surgery by the last week of May. Do you think I'm crazy???!?!?!?!? (We ate in Dalton the other day on the way to Chattanooga)
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM

Hi,
I just used some long forgotten Northwest miles to get Hawaiian Airlines interisland flights for next July ( two roundtrips each for 4 people) So far it is only 5000 miles for one roundtrip, but by the end of this month you need 10000 per RT. So, if you are planning on redeeming miles, do it now!
Kirsten