Reload this Page >

Miami to Key West - Drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:46 PM
Marcia

My two teenage daughters and I are thinking of vacationing in Key West and driving there by car. Is this a long drive? What kind of highway is route 1? Is this a scary drive with long stretches of miles-long bridges with no land in sight?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
Just Me

Hi Marcia,
Yes, this is a long drive. Maybe 150 miles?? Not sure, but it isn't scarry at all. Truth is, there is so much traffic, that you will not even realize that there are stretches of nothing. Most of the drive is populated, though. It is a really nice drive. Highway 1 is a very good road. There really is nothing to worry about at all. Suggestion, stop at one of the places along the way and by a Passport for Key West. It is a cutsey coupon/pass book. I promise it will save you lots of money!! Go and have a good time!!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Shannon

Hi Marcia,

I grew up in Miami and I love making quick trips to the keys. The time to Key West is totally dependent on traffic (US-1 is mostly a 2-lane road with stretches of passing zones & 4-lanes), which depends on day of the week, time of day, and the weekend. Try to avoid major holidays and festivals/events which may draw a lot of traffic. Many people travel to the keys from Miami for the weekend, so if possible, it would be best to head down on a Sunday and/or back on a Friday (that way you are going against traffic). It has taken me anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hours.

I'm not keen on bridges, but they are very stable, concrete bridges. And although the 2-lane road may feel small at times with drop-offs into the ocean, I have never felt unsafe. Generally, the pace is slow & thoughtful. It is a beautiful, relaxing drive (my parents drive to Key Largo every weekend for the drive alone), and the time goes pretty quickly. The keys on the way have a lot of character that you will not find anywhere else.

It's rare that land is not in sight (there is one 7-mile bridge, which is the longest). But you will be amazed at how in such a short drive you feel like you've been transplanted to some far off land.

The keys serves one purpose: to unwind. Don't bring worries to the keys....rent a convertible & enjoy your girl-time. It should be a great escape.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:12 PM
Just Me

Hi Shannon, was I far off on the mileage? Is it close to 150 Miles? Not sure, was just guessing. Your description is sooooo good!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:45 PM
lclarknj

Marcia,

I've driven this three times now - never again. It is scenic and relaxing and all the other things people say UNLESS -
1. there is a storm. The water runs right up to the road in a lot of areas, which isn't a bad thing, unless it storms. Roads didn't wash out, but there were stretches where we didn't think we'd get the car through.
2. the draw bridges are in heavy use. One the way down on one trip, we were at a stand still for a total of one hour, due to draw bridges being up. On the way back, when we had to catch a flight in Miami, we were stuck for 2.5 hours because one of the bridges broke!
3. if the weekend crown abounds. You can get lucky and not hit much traffic, and that is a good thing on a two-lane highway. But at other times it can be bumper to bumper.
On the plus side, you can save lots of money by driving. Just be sure you have plaenty of time and stuff in the car to keep you and the kids occupied should you get stuck!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:39 AM
susan

We've made this trip several times and no matter when we leave or which day we travel, it ALWAYS takes us 4 hours.