Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Decent Restaurant Between Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore?

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're visiting the Black Hills in a couple weeks and will drive out from Custer State Park to see the Badlands one day. We might want to go to the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore that night, so I'm looking for a decent restaurant between Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore. I've seen some negative comments about the food opportunities in Keystone, but if anyone has a specific restaurant, I'd love to know about it. We aren't looking for gourment, but good food and a menu with some variety. Thanks!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:49 AM

I am sorry to be negative but some of the worst food I've ever had in the US has been in this area of the country. I tried a little brew pub, a cafe, some other places and decided I would have been better off at a Pizza Hut or some such place in Rapid City.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Well, that's discouraging but maybe someone else has had better luck. Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:31 AM

Sorry to add to the negative comments but I was there in June and the best meal we had was Pizza Hut. There was a big Mexican restaurant in Rapid City on the main road to Mt. Rushmore but I can't vouch for it one way or another.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 01:52 PM
Tess

I would eat in Rapid City at Botticelli. I dream about that place with its great atmosphere and wonderful food (the wine list is good, too) and we go there whenever we're in the hills. It's in downtown Rapid on the Main Street. If you want somewhere casual and fun, the Firehouse (on the same street as Botticelli) is another idea.

I know there's a restaurant in Sylvan Lake Lodge in Custer State Park. We've had ice cream there but nothing else--anyone??

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:04 PM

I second what Tess has to say. There are not a lot of great restaurants in the area, and there is nothing betweeen Rapid City and Keystone. Botticellis and the Firehouse are within a block of each other in the downtown area and they are both excellent. We also had a new place open this past year at the Raddison Hotel called Enigma that is supposed to be pretty good. Other than that there are alot of chain restaurants. Hope this helps, but this really is the best in Rapid City.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 08:25 PM

I ditto the recommendation for the Firehouse in Rapid City. Dining in Keystone was abysmal.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll put Botticelli & the Firehouse in my travel info.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:37 PM

Hi Ruth:

I have to disagree with some of the folks here. I just got back from 6 days in Hill City (nice place to be located if visiting the Black Hills). I found two restaurants that served excellent dinners. One was Minerva's in the northeast section of Rapid City, 2211 LaCrosse St. The other was in the area you are looking in. It was Powder House Lodge, 24125 Hway 16A, outside of Keystone toward the Hlll City turnoff. Both restaurants have varied menus with excellent food. If you go to the Powder House Lodge, have the walleyed pike. I
had it twice. Wonderful.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:10 PM

I agree with Gerhardt
esp Minervas
and how about SANFORD'S
on Omaha street sorta like
bubba gumps but better ate their lots.
and for chinese Imperial Garden
the one on East North street in Rapid
that on the direction out of town
to connects to I-90 is on the left side.