Decent, relatively moderately priced, non theme-park restaurants near WDW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're booked, we've bought new clothes, DH thinks he has it approved off (and if he doesn't, I'll kill him), the mini-van has gone to the shop, and we're just about six weeks away from lift-off for a week in the Orlando area. Next agenda, food! We pretty much know where we are eating in the theme parks, and we're booked for Boma and Spoodles, and have definite plans to visit the Earl of Sandwich. What else? Cafe Tu Tu Tango is liked by my Unofficial Guide, and their menu is appealing, but it looks both a little gimmicky and easy to run a bill up in. Would we be deeply sorry if we went to the Jimmy Buffett restaurant at City Walk?
We are a group of six, five adults and a thirteen-year-old who eats like a thirty-five year old restaurant critic, and like to eat fairly well. One of the adults has a very limited menu, but he likes steak and shrimp, so he's usually not TOO awful in a decent restaurant. DH, DS, and I are enthusiastic about dining on Disney property, despite the expense and the potential culinary pitfalls, but the rest of the party is not, and I would never try to eat in a Disney sit-down restaurant without an ADR. My BIL is enthused about the prospect of a lobster buffet, but I'm not too sure what I think of that. Suggestions, anyone?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM

A few quick questions first:

How much (per entre) is "moderately priced"?

How far are you willing to travel?

Any problems with chain restaurants?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Answer 1)less than $20. Of course, the cheaper, the better. I understand that the lobster buffet would run considerably more than that, and my BIL is probably the only member of the party who is up to eating multiple lobsters, which is some of my hesitation.

Answer 2)Depends on the fabulosity. Generally no more than 20 minutes in the car, but we would be flexible with that.

Answer 3)none at all, but I don't want to eat in the same ones I eat in at home. No Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Cafe Tu Tu Tango is a little gimmicky, and yes it's easy to run up a bill, but I gotta tell you, I enjoy it every time I go. It also has the advantage of having something for everyone; you'll find steak and lobster. I like the mango duck quesadillas and the roasted pears.

Take a look at Seasons 52 as well. You could definitely have lunch for $20. www.seasons52.com
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Not sure what chains are in your area but on my list of ones to try next time we're in Orlando area Texas de Brazil and Five Guys (burgers for lunch).

Enjoy-la!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Where are you staying?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

We're staying in a rental house somewhere in the general Kissimmee area. We have not yet been assigned our house, so I don't know exactly where it is. It was apparently somewhat cheaper to do it that way rather than using a rental company that let's you pick your own house. My sister swears all of their locations are fairly decent. Seasons 52 looks much more manageable for lunch, especially since I'm always concerned with taking the picky person anywhere the menu varies seasonally. Texas de Brazil sounded good, but maybe a little expensive, and while the picky person wouldn't starve, buffets can sometimes be frustrating because he eats so few things on them(especially if you're paying for expensive headliners he won't touch). I'm not sure how he'd do with the meat selections.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM

I frequently recommend Columbia restaurant in Celebration for the best Cuban in the area, nearby Kissimmee. Most entrees are under $20. Cuban cuisine offers fine fish and meet dishes.

Jimmy Buffet in City Walk is okay. The prices are reasonable and quality is acceptable. Not the best in town, but one of the better on City Walk.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

I was wondering if Columbia would work. I read one review that didn't like it, but most were positive. The fussy person will eat Cuban food, and hopefully, so will my sister's MIL. Good to know about the Jimmy Buffett, as DS would think that was extremely cool.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Highly recommend this place (Carrera's). Non-chain and loved by the locals.

http://orlando.diningguide.com/data/d100364.htm
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:34 PM

There is not too much to recommend in Kissimmee, however the
Mimi's Cafe http://www.mimiscafe.com/Restaurant.aspx?Id=106 might be a possibility. It's a chain, but I don't think there is one in Maine. It's a couple of steps above a coffee shop and offers something for everybody. The food is quite good and definitely within your budget. Columbia in Celebration is another possibility. Also in Celebration, consider Cafe D' Antonio http://www.antoniosonline.com/CDinner.asp

Bahama Breeze http://www.bahamabreeze.com/ is technically a chain, but originated in Florida and is nothing like a Red Lobster. They offer a variety of good entres and there are two in your area:

International Drive
8849 International Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
Phone: (407) 248-2499

Lake Buena Vista
8735 Vineland Avenue
Orlando, FL 32821
Phone: (407) 938-9010

I suspect the Lake Buena Vista would be closer to where you will be staying.

Please give us some feedback on what you liked and didn't like.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Mimi's looks darling, and probably a good option for the wild bunch. I have no idea if they have them in Maine or not, but they don't seem to have any in Pennsylvania, and we've never eaten in one.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM

We live in Orlando and we love the Orlando Ale House Chain. Its prices are very reasonable, they have daily specials ( I think Tue is kids night?) and service is good. It's american bit of everything with TVs. Their shrimp jambalaya, wings, and ceasar salad are the best.