So Ho + Tenement museum

Search

So Ho + Tenement museum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Ho + Tenement museum

I will be staying in Time Square area and am planning to tour Tenement Museum, Chealsea Market and So Ho to stroll and shop in one day, What's the best way to do this?
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM

From the Times Square area, you can get almost every train in the system.
Train to Tenement Musuem (sorry, I don't have subway map handy and I can't get into the MTA website right now)
Tenement Museum first (should reserve in advance, I am told).
From there, walk to Soho.
From Soho take train, bus (M6), or walk up to Chelsea Market
(about 15-20 blocks, depending on where you are in Soho)

Geographically this is starting with the farthest point from where you are and working your way back "home"
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Will definitely second the idea of making reservations ahead of time at the Tenement Museum, as tours sometimes sell out.

To get here via subway from the Times Square area, catch the F train from the 42nd Street-Bryant Park stop to Delancey St.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Here's a great resource: http://www.hopstop.com/?city=newyork
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:00 AM

Have your map and street number handy for the Chelsea Market. We almost missed it. We enjoyed the Chelsea Market tour very much. It's a fun place to shop but the tour adds history plus the yummy tastings. Also, don't miss walking on the High Line.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:47 AM

From Times Square walk to Sixth Ave and 42nd Street and take the B, D, or F Downtown

B or D to Grand Street
Exit at Grand and Chrystie. Walk east (away from Bowery) for four blocks. Take a left at Orchard Street and walk north for two blocks to the Museum Shop 108 Orchard Street.

F to Delancey Street
Once you get off, walk two blocks away from the Williamsburg Bridge (west) to Orchard Street, turn left and walk 1/2 block south to the Museum Shop 108 Orchard Street, between Delancey and Broome, near Delancey.

To go the CHelsea AMrket first, take any of those trains Uptown to 14th Street and tehn transfer to the "L" train toward Eighth Avenue.

If you want to SOHO firt, you can walk west from the Tenement Museum until you hit Broadway or Mercer and that will be part of SOHO and head north until Chelsea Market. It will be a nice long walk especially if you look at places along the way. It is 45 5minutes to one hour walk without stopping.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:50 AM

It's good to hear that you need reservations for a visit to the Tenement Museum. When we first visited a good number of years ago it was considered off the beaten track, not that well-known,and you could just walk in and get their great tour. It's obviously become a very popular visit in town - and well-deserved since it evokes an important era in New York's development.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:37 AM

On my last trip to NYC (sadly, 9 years ago!) one of the highlights of a great trip was our first visit to the Tenement Museum and I have since recommended it every chance I get. It was fascinating.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM

>>

We're frequent visitors to New York, often just to visit family and friends, but once in awhile as "tourists", so we're always on the lookout for new things to see and do. We thought the Tenement Museum was one of the best "museums" we've been to in a long time (and yes, we had reservations, but it was Thanksgiving weekend a couple of years ago). The Tenement Museum, a walk around the LES, and lunch at Katz' -- a perfect morning/afternoon!
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Would a tour in the Tenement Museum and a Greenwich food tour in the same be too much touring? and would it leave us time for exploring Soho?
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM

The food tour is 3 hours and advises that you will probably eat enough and won't need lunch. (That was true of our Chelsea Mkt tour.) But if there is anything you would like to buy, you don't have shopping time. You have to go back after the tour. The Tenement Museum is about 1.5 hours so I think with good planning, you could do everything in a day provided you are good walkers.

On a recent trip to NYC we did NOT have good plans and wasted a lot of time walking/riding the subway including getting on the wrong line and getting off many blocks from where we expected to be. Exploring is good. Walking around lost is not.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM

I looked up the site and it looks fascinating. I don't know if I want to prebook yet...want to wait to see what plays we can get. If we go it would be a Monday...hope it won't be as crowded.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM

The Tenement tour has changed drastically since we first toured. There are various tours in the same building which speak to specifc eras.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM

We did the tenement tour today and thought it was fascinating. We walked over in the morning and were not able to get a tour until 4:00 pm. After doing the tour I would have done a walking tour in a heartbeat. If you are interested in learning more about the history of NYC I think the Tenement and walking tour would compliment each other very well.

But if doing both means you would miss seeing a play, I would only choose one...I personaly would give the nod to the walking tour.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Thanks sallyho for that info. I think the weather would be a factor too. Adu, I had originally thought that the ALL the rooms could be viewed. I was a surprised they only toured one room at a time. I wanted to see them all.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:11 AM

>>

It's not "one room"....on our tour ("Piecing it Together"), we saw three separate apartments. the first was empty, the second "decorated" like it would have been when a family lived there and operated a tailor shop in the apartment, and the third was "decorated" like it would have been after the tailor shops moved out to actual factories.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:21 AM

We did the tour about the Irish family so in addition to an empty apartment for the preliminary history about the building and the family, we just saw the apartment as it would have been when the family lived there. You get a lot of information in the tour which is focused on one particular family who actually lived there. I don't think you would want to see all of them in one day, it would be too much info. There is much info about NYC history as well. You actually don't hear much about the contents of each apartment. It's all about their lives.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM

"Piecing it together" sounds like the one I would like to see. Thanks sf7307 and df too.