Pigeon Forge Area/Smoky Mountains with a 2 year old & 5 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (my husband, and 2 & 5 year olds) are planning on driving from Chicago to Myrtle Beach, SC.....but planning on stopping in the Smoky Mountains area for 2 days....What are the MUST see places? I would love to hike to see a waterfall, which one is the easiest to get to? Are you able to go in the water at any of the waterfalls?
Also, I'd love to stay at a cabin w/ a hot tub on the deck, preferrably overlooking the mountains....any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance for any info
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 02:50 PM

The best cabin community is Oak Haven Resort in Sevierville. Check it out at oakhavenresort.com And, also check out the reviews for the place on trip advisor, yelp, etc.

There is one waterfall that is accessible by a paved trail and is easy for you to take the 2 and 5 year olds. I will search and find the name for you. Can't think of any waterfalls where you can go in the water.

For something really fun for the kids, go to The Comedy Barn(kids are free). It is hilariously funny family entertainment. We started taking the grandgirls there when they were small and now they are teenagers and still love to go!

Have fun...you might want to extend your time in the moutains to 3 days...since you will have to unpack and repack, etc.

Where are you staying in Myrtle Beach? Myrtle Beach and Gatlinburg are very similar...except one is at the ocean and the other is in the mountains!

i'2
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM

We like to rent with Timber Tops(Always a View), Alpine Chalet Rentals(Rippling Waters.Almost Bearadise), Diamnond Mountain Rentals(Starr Gaze), Jackson Mountain Homes(Rushing Waters). Hikes to go to would be Laurel Falls and there is a small one behind Sugarlands Vistors Center called Cataract Falls. There is a nice picnic area in the park called the Chimneys and kids can play on the rocks and in the water and Mynatt Park is fun for kids and so is the Wye by Townsend. Restaurants we like are Calhouns, No Way Joses, Howards, Loco Burro, Best Italian, Pancake Pantry. Be sure to ride the chairlift in Gatlinburg. Beautiful views on top on the mountain. Have fun and enjoy your trip
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM

The paved trail to a waterfall is Laurel Falls:

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/laurel.htm

It is a short hike, but not flat. Parking is always an issue, so try to get there early in the morning!
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Grotto Falls would be fairly easy. You do walk behind this one. You can get in, but might be cold. If your really lucky you can see the Lama's go behind it(they go 2 or 3 times per week to Mount Leconte).
Laurel Falls would be good too.

Clingmans Dome is short hike and kids would probably like the tower at the end. This is the 3rd tallest point east of the Mississippi.

Parrot Mountain is pretty cool place for kids.

You will have no trouble finding Pancakes Houses. I swear there are 200(I am being serious). One every 100 feet. Kilwin's Ice Cream and Candy Store. Perhaps Fanny Farkles (somewhate like a Chuckie Cheeses-they serve bratwurst and real corn dogs). Johnny Rockets is good for kids too. Maybe The Donut Friar for breakfast.

Dollywood or the waterpark if you want an all day place.