Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   December in Arizona - a warm place? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/december-in-arizona-a-warm-place-447523/)

Pediatrician12 Oct 21st, 2008 07:29 AM

December in Arizona - a warm place?

For a family vacation involving some elderly parents (and active kids), I've been told that Sedona, while gorgeous, will be just too chilly. We come from the northeast, so we don't need more chilly weather! Yet I love Arizona and would love to find a place to stay. Could anyone tell me which area in Arizona would combine natural beauty (no golf necessary), access to healthcare if necessary, and warm-ish weather? Or am I asking too much? Do we have to go to southern Florida to be warm in the USA in December? Thanks!

paula1470 Oct 21st, 2008 07:50 AM

Well it depends on what you think is warm. If you want temps in the 80's, then Florida is the only place to go. Temps in southern Arizona in December are usually around 65 to 70. So it is very pleasant but not as warm as Florida.

Keep in mind, too, that the deserts can get chilly at night. The temperature swing from highs to lows can be as more than 30 degrees while in Florida the difference is not that much.

I would pick Tucson for the place to visit. There is a alot to do for all ages. The Desert Sonora Musuem, Kartchner Caverns, hiking in Sabino Canyon (for the kids). You can take side trips to Bisbee and Tombstone. I would imagine most resorts heat their pool so your kids could enjoy that do.

If you decide to stay in the Phoenix area, you could do just a day trip to Sedona. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive so easy to do in one day.

DebitNM Oct 21st, 2008 07:56 AM

<i> from my reply on your other thread </i>

Welcome! Unfortunately, as it presently exists - you cannot delete threads on your own. You may get replies on both, so check both. The easiest way to see if you have replies [or to see any threads that you have posted on] is to click on your own name which will bring up all threads you have started or replied to on any forum here.

You can find your name in the upper right corner after you have logged in or in a post your started.

I would suggest Tucson; it will have lovely temps and is really has a nice small town feel to it, more so than Phoenix.

They have museums, restaurants, and many attractions that all should enjoy.

Phoenix is big, spread out and can be tough with older folks.

Sedona will be cold, if you are looking for an escape from NE.

Deb

Pediatrician12 Oct 21st, 2008 08:24 AM

Thanks so much, Paula, for that information. I don't mind chilly nights, but I'd like our days to be warm enough for lots of outdoor activity -- without the bulky clothes we wear all winter up here in the NE.

Hacienda del Sol has recently been mentioned to us a lovely place. Do you know it? We want top-notch accomodations, but we don't like golf resorts. We love a good vista! Cacti, mountains -- ahh Arizona!

Sorry again to all for the double-posting of this query. I've tried to get rid of it, can't figure out how to do it, and have asked Fodors for help.

Pediatrician12 Oct 21st, 2008 08:26 AM

Just now saw Deb's wise words on double-positing. Thanks, Deb. I'll try not to do it again (beginner's ignorance is the culprit here!).

DebitNM Oct 21st, 2008 08:58 AM

We stayed at JW Marriott Starr Pass in Tucson. It is a bit removed from the city itself [about a 10 -15 minute car ride] and it is beautiful. They have morning hikes, evening tequila sunset toasts, very good restaurants and the views of the city are breathtaking. It is west of city, snuggled against the mountains.

http://www.jwmarriottstarrpass.com/

There are also condos nearby that are very nice. Can't Starrs PAss something or other, I'll see if I can find them. They are on the Starr PAss golf course. {don't have to play to stay}.
Deb

historytraveler Oct 21st, 2008 11:00 AM

I'd choose Hacienda del Sol over the Marriot. It has a more authenic ambience and the location is,IMO, much prettier and more scenic as it sits near the base of the Santa Catalina's. Plenty of shops, restaurants, art galleries and excellent health care facilities in this part of Tucson.

You'll also have easy access to nearby hiking trails. You can drive through Saguaro National Park and up Mt. Lemmon, explore Sabino Canyon where you can take a shuttle for some distance into the park...something your parents would enjoy.

I'm sure I'd prefer Arizona over Florida :)