Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dec. visit to Norfolk/Virginia Bch area - need ideas for kids.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be travelling to the Hampton Roads area for a few days the week between Christmas and New Year's. Our kids are 7 and 3, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for kid-friendly things to do then. I think they're probably a little too young for Williamsburg. (The 7-year-old might be interested but not the 3-year-old.) We haven't decided where to stay yet, but will probably end up at the Sheraton or Marriott, as they seem to have gotten reasonable reviews. (The hotels seem dirt cheap compared to what we're used to in Boston/NYC so we're happy to go to the high end.)
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 03:41 PM

They have holiday lights right on the broadwalk of Virginia Beach. You could visit the 'Celebration of Lights'. You drive thru the light display. Also, there is another holiday lights drive called 100 miles of Lights in different parts of Virginia - Newport News, Richmond, etc.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 03:51 PM

I cannot remember the name of it, but there is a fun nautical museum in the area that our kids loved when they were those ages.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Nautilus is the name of the museum that is in Norfolk next to Waterside. I've not been but i believe it has lots of ships to look at and explore. Also, the kids might enjoy Waterside (shopping area), there used to be a game room there. And, there is a ferry that leaves at Waterside and goes across the river (?) to Portsmouth. My son enjoyed that trip when he was little, and actually, so did I. There's not much on the other side but the trip over and back was memorable. Norfolk has a zoo, which my husband says is not spectacular but at 7 &3, he says they won't know (haha). Also, there is a botanical garden (Azeala Gardens he thinks is the name) and it has a short trainride or trolley ride.

And I think that about sums it up.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:16 AM

There is "The Living Museum" in Newport News near Rt 143 & US-17 (Jefferson Ave & J-Clyde Morris Blvd).

A Air/Space museum (forget the name) in Hampton (Settlers Landing Rd, I-64 Exit 267?). Next door to it is a carousel, but it may be closed in winter, even tho it is enclosed. In Virginia Beach a marine life museum/zoo/aquarium type thing (low caffeine levels this morning prevent me from remembering exact words!), and if you take the ferry over to Portsmouth, as suggested by Tandoori_Girl, there is (or was) a childrens museum.

Last time I was at Nauticus, you could walk onto the outside decks of the battleship (free) and they had a number of exhibits in Nauticus ($) for kids. Also the old tugboat "The Huntington" was located there and you could tour it ($). I think those are the only boats/ships permenently on exhibit. As they are seasonal, ther may or maybe not be harbor cruises available from behind Waterside or at Hampton.

Lighthouse (Ft Story?) at VaBeach. I like to stay one night at VaBeach during stays in the area, just to enjoy the sound of the surf all night ... so relaxing. You won't be able to stroll the boardwalk at night during the "Lights on the Beach" exhibit, however.

If you drive, you might want to go down NJ Parkway and cross the Delaware by Ferry, then continue down the DelMarVa peninsula and take the bridge/tunnel to Norfolk. As you leave (southbound) the second tunnel, there's a pull-off where you can park, walk around, shop, fish or eat. The kids might enjoy both the ferry & tunnel/bridge.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:20 AM

The (stupid; I wish Fodors would get rid of them) emoticon was where I tried to use a dollar sign within parenthesis to show there was a charge. ( _ $ _ ).
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:30 AM

I think your kids might like Colonial Williamsburg, at least for a couple of hours. Our 7 year old went a few weeks ago, and loved it. Our friends who went with us had a 4 year old, and he had a good time too. It's nice to let the kids walk freely in the streets since no cars are permitted. I think the 3 year old would enjoy a horse drawn carriage ride. The craft persons are very engaging, even with the little ones. We went to a show about colonial theatre that was geared toward children, and all of the children in the audience got to participate in the show.

Jamestwon Settlement would also appeal to children the age of yours.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:31 AM
E

Lessee--even though it 's a bit of a drive from Norfolk, the festival of Lights in Newport News is pretty cool. You pay a small admission fee and then drive through the decorated park--the kids should love it. The Living Museum is much nicer than the Norfolk Zoo, and since it's also in Newport News, you could visit it until sunset and then go see the lights.

The Aquarium in VA Beach is awesome. Nauticus in Norfolk isn't exactly awesome; there is an aircraft carrier or something like that--very big--parked next to it that you can tour, although your kids may be too young to get much out of it.

I think you should give Williamsburg a try. You can stroll around without paying any admission fee, and on a nice day, the kids may just get a kick out of the costumed interpreters and the holiday decorations and the village-y feel of the place.

Have fun!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Absolutely do the Aquarium in VA Beach. Do both buildings. There is an IMAX there. I know the IMAX in Hampton is showing the Polar Express. Maybe they are doing the same in VA Beach. Nauticus has some great interactive games, displays, and programs that your 7 yo will like. It is up to you whether its worth chasing the 3 yo around. The children's museum in Portsmouth is definitely worth the trip. There are things for both your children (even my preteen loves going there) Its the best children's museum I've been to (that includes Philly, Pittsburgh, etc.) The zoo has improved in the last few years. I haven't been recently but they have apparently expanded their collection and have renovated. I love zoos in the winter anyway. Stop at Doumars just off Granby. A true old drivein with good BBQ, authentic limeade, and homemade ice cream cones. (and I mean the cones are even home made)The Living Museum in Newport News is wouth the 1/2 hr trip. A lot will be at your 3 yo eye level and will keep him/her entranced. Have fun.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you are staying in VA Beach, the marriott courtyard was brand new this year and is very clean and nice with an indoor pool. The Sheraton is old. There is also a sheraton and Marriott in Norfolk and I don't know about them. Sights: Go to Virginia beach marine science museum. Both kids will like it. In Norfolk, there is the McARthur Mall and the Nauticus. Your kids may like the nauticus. There is a Dave and Busters restaurant which has a million video games and arcade. My kids had a blast there. I agree, if it is a nice day, Williamsburg is nice to walk around.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 08:35 AM

I live in Williamsburg and have a 8.5 yr old and almost 5 yr old. They both have loved CW and Jamestown for as long as they could walk. I think your 3 yr old would enjoy it.

Please be sure to spend lots of money here! Tell your friends!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 08:37 AM

That's is, the Nauticus! It was on the tip of my tongue. BTW the Nautilus is in Groton, CT and is a submarine museum.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Another vote for Jamestown. Check out the websites. It is run by the Dept of Education of Virginia, and is set up for kids. Also Williamsburg has a lot to interest kids.
There's a Rainforest cafe in the mall on Granby St. in Norfolk that the kids would like.
Are you talking staying in Norfolk or Va Beach? I think Norfolk when I hear the Marriott or Sheraton. I'd pick the beach in a heartbeat.
Waterside was a dive when we visited 5 years, ago, complete with a Hooters and blaring music thoughout the open space. It was not for families, at least at night.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Unfortunately, the Rainforest Cafe that was in MacArthur Center is closed. I think that is the one on Granby Street.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Birdie, here's another vote for Doumar's. There's only one and you don't want to miss it. Makes one think that a dollar can still go far.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great info! We haven't decided where to stay? Based on all the great feedback so far on activities, I'd love to hear ideas for places to stay. We can stay anywhere in that whole area -- it really doesn't matter. An indoor pool is a plus, as the kids would like that -- but isn't a necessity.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 11:35 PM

I stayed not too long ago at the downtown Norfolk Marriot. It had an indoor pool and the rooms were very nice. This is a very new hotel and no one's had much of a chance to muss it up yet. It is very close to the MacArthur Mall and Waterside, both of which we walked to. Other than that I've not stayed anywhere in the area.

have fun!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Paulinejr: Give us an update. Where did you go? Where did you stay? What would you recommend. We'd like to do the Waterfront area of Norfolk in the spring. I've done this before and stayed in Portsmouth. Wondering if I should do this again (with the kids this time.)