Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dec 29th Philly stay for 1 nt. Four Seasons for $255 vs Westin for $184 - 2 adults & 13 year old.

Dec 29th Philly stay for 1 nt. Four Seasons for $255 vs Westin for $184 - 2 adults & 13 year old.

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to do Philly again for New Years weekend like we did 2 years ago. We booked the Marriott Courtyard for 2 nights for Dec 30 and 31st. Got a great deal using our Free Night Coupon for Dec 31 and got a Comcast Corp rate for the other night at only $109! AAA rate was over $225 nt. We wanted to ad another night on Dec 29th as I'm off work anyway but there a huge convention in town and 1/2 the hotels are booked, like the Rittenhouse (only suites left), Ritz Carlton, Sofitel, Sheraton Philly, etc.

Strangely enought the Four Seasons is wide open now and "only" $255 nt with our Comcast rate. The Residence Inn Marriott only had 2 room suites left for $289, much more than we want to pay for a room there. The regular Philly Marriott, at over 1400+ rooms is totally booked too.

The Westin is $189 with our Comcast rate but on Trip Advisor it gets reviews that aren't near as good as the FS with some people saying it is a pretty bad Westin as Westins go. We stayed at this Westin 6 years ago or so and loved it and it's location, but the rate was only $129 a nt and seemed great to us. Plus, the hotel was empty and we had our pick of room and they through in breakfast just for the asking.

So, would you pony up the extra $70 a nt to stay at the FS or just cheap out and do the Westin, OR, just do Priceline and see what we get? The Hyatt from Priceline doesn't look all that special... if that's the 4* that we'd end up with. We DID stay at the FS Philly 2 years ago for New Years and found the beds horrible. Our king sagged so bad we had to switch rooms and ended up with 2 single beds. Apparantly they have totally refurbished the beds and they're great now. We want to be downtown there where all the action and easy walking to stuff.

Thoughts? We LOVE Philly and are excited to expose our 13 year daughter to Buddakan for New Years Eve dinner, maybe Cubra Libre another night, and some other funky places like Continental, etc.

Steve R
Silver Spring MD
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Oh well, thanks anyway, folks. We didn't get a response from anyone so we decided to stay at the FS. My wife is very happy.

Steve R
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:46 AM
stevefrat

Sorry you didn't get any responses. As a Philly resident, I never stay in hotels, so I had no advice for you. However, if you're interested in giving it another look, I recommend asking the Philadelphia experts at Tripadvisor. There's one woman in particular who's very good at working Hotwire/Priceline for hotel stays.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:57 AM
emd

I think if the post had been a bit easier to read, and just asked if people would recommend either the 4 Seasons, Westin, or Priceline for Philly, it might have gotten some responses. I looked at the title but got lost reading the post; it's a lot of extraneous info.

I've stayed at both the 4 Seasons in Philly and the Westin there. IMO, the 4 Seasons Philly is a great hotel and far surpasses the Westin. But Steve already said he didn't like the beds at the 4 Seasons, and although Westin has some problems it also has the Heavenly Bed. If he stays at 4 Seasons he just needs to be sure to get a refurbished rm. w/good bed.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thx for the responses and sorry for the lame title/post. Apparantly the FS DID upgrade all their beds and rooms in Feb of this year so the beds are supposedly new. My wife is excited to try the FS again so it looks like we're going with that. Plus, our child loves pools and the FS is supposed to have a nice pool. Something about a pool in December in the Northeast that's appealing to her.

I can't believe how many hotels are booked out during this time period. The Hyatt had a $189 a nt room but hasn't gotten the best reviews on Trip Advisor. I'll try to contact that lady from Philly that you recommended, as well.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM

If you are staying at the Four Seasons, it would be a mistake not to eat at either THE FOUNTAIN or SWANN CAFE.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
emd

Steve, Philly is a popular place for New Years due to the famous Mummer's parade on 1/1, which I am sure you know about if you were there 2 yrs ago, right? You'll be right there, as the Courtyard is one the parade route. It is a highly unuual parade, to say the least...
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

marginal margiela: Thanks. Yes, we did eat at The Fountain at the FS last time we were there, but the dinner was about $175 and we thought it was totally overpriced for what we got. We thought Buddakan, The Continental and Davios offered a much better value for us. The $22 budget busting shrimp appetizer we had at The Fountain wasn't even good. We were very surprised. The filet was great, but the whole experience seemed a bit too over the top for us.

We were thinking of trying an Italian restaurant while there but aren't sure which one. We considered going back to Davios, but may check out Chowhounds.com for a better idea. It has to be simple Italian food as our 12 year old daughter is vegetarian and quite picky about her food.

emd: Great reminder note to catch the Mummer's parade. We did see it last time we were there and are excited it's right outside our hotel. We thought it was pretty cool albeit kind of weird.

Steve R
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:22 PM

there is a superb hotel in Blue Bell that has just been completely renovated. It has so much character- and located in Blue Bell, one of the best cities in the US. check it out at www.normandyfarm.com
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tradequeen. The hotel looks great but we need to be in the city for this trip.

Also, I tried to find out what the room rates are and every single date till Jan 1 is unavailable. There is no way to find out what a sample room rate would be. That's kind of maddening.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Try Ralph's.

I am a very over-the-top kind of person.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

marginal margiela...

Thx for the Ralph's recommendation. People sure are divided on this place on chowhounds!

Ralph's at 9th and Catherine
Can anyone give me any info on Ralph's?

posted by Dy on Nov 18, 2005

report this post 14 replies so far

on Nov 18, 2005 Newgirlintown replied

Red sauce Italian, very average.

report this post reply
on Nov 18, 2005 Harry Strov replied to Newgirlintown

The restaurant is below average. I live down the street from Ralphs, the place gets busy "don't understand how" but it's nothing to write home about. it's the name and the fact they have been there for 105 years.
Try Tre Scallini or Cucina Forte

report this post reply
on Nov 18, 2005 Tim replied to Harry Strov

I would say Ralph's is above average.

report this post reply
on Nov 19, 2005 NEFoodie replied to Tim

Ralph's is worth going to once a year for the atmosphere, attitude, and ageda. The chow sucks. It is hard to screw up pasta and red sauce but they fail
every time I have been there. Go to Saloon.

report this post reply
on Nov 19, 2005 Newgirlintown replied to NEFoodie

Uh......Saloon is totally overrated, overpriced and a waste of money.
It was a philly institution at some point but it is over the hill and Boring.
I second Tre Scalini or Radicchio

report this post reply
on Nov 21, 2005 NEFoodie replied to Newgirlintown

New Girl-
Disagree with your characterization of the Saloon.
Sure there are better restaurants in this genre. yes it is touristy and Not cutting edge fusion or pan--whatever but they still serve consistently good dishes if you stay to the classics. Pasta and red sauce is not to complicated to prepare. Steaks, chops and Langostinos are Fresh and well prepared. It is aging and the waitresses are from another era but once or twice a month it satisfies a "Red Gravy" craving.

report this post reply
on Nov 21, 2005 JanR replied to NEFoodie

The Saloon was boring and overpriced the one and only time I went there ... twenty years ago! It's not necessary to spend that kind of money to satisfy a red gravy craving in South Philadelphia.

report this post reply
on Nov 21, 2005 Newgirlintown replied to JanR

Agreed, red gravy cravings can be satisfied for les $$$$$.
Heck red gravy cravings can be satisfied at home, people arent interested in $20's red sauce pastas.
Italian restaurants get away with murder on meat dishes becausethey dont make any complex sauces but still charge the same prices or more.
SKIP the saloon.

report this post reply
on Nov 19, 2005 JanR replied

I don't know if Ralph's was ever good. I've been there a few times, the last about 15 years ago. It wasn't very good then.

report this post reply
on Nov 20, 2005 jonboi replied

Agree on Saloon. Bad attitude. Overpriced. Cash and Amex only. No prices given with the specials. Mice bar though. Except small drinks and high prices.

report this post reply
on Nov 21, 2005 Jo replied

Skip it. I agree that TreScalini and Radicchio are excellent.

report this post reply
on Nov 22, 2005 eric replied to Jo

Walk across the street to MEZE- bring some good Greek/Turkish wine.

report this post reply
on Nov 22, 2005 Stephanie replied to Jo

I concur--overrated.

report this post reply
on Nov 22, 2005 jeff replied

Ralph’s is inconstant. I’ve have very good meals and mediocre meals there over the last 10 years. It’s hit or miss depending on who’s cooking that night.