Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Death Valley & Vegas Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/death-valley-and-vegas-lodging-395987/)

jedivader Feb 6th, 2004 08:33 AM

Death Valley & Vegas Lodging

Has anyone ever stayed at El Cortez, Westward Ho, or Golden Gate in Vegas? Which is best?

As far as getting access to Death Valley, which is best? From Beatty, Pahrump, or Indian Spings? And what motels are best?

clarkgriswold Feb 6th, 2004 09:26 AM

Those are some pretty bottom-of-the-barrel Vegas hotels. Change your plans so that you are in Vegas on a sunday through thursday instead of on the weekend and you will find some decent rates at much better hotels.

rjw_lgb_ca Feb 6th, 2004 09:59 AM

clark is spot-on correct about the Vegas hotels. They're dirt-cheap for a reason-- they're last-resort places, shabby and lifeless. Better to cough up a bit more money and get a resort on the Strip. Bally's or the Flamingo would be better choices at the budget end.

jedivader Feb 6th, 2004 10:34 AM

Trip is already booked for 2/14-2/17.

We do not plan on spendinf much time in the hotel. Not into gambling. Just need a decent place to sleep and be able to walk out of hotel and walk around.

MaryRay Feb 6th, 2004 11:16 AM

When we go to Vegas we stay in Primm, Nevada at Whiskey Petes it's on the border of California and Nevada. It is a great cheap place to stay and is close to Death Valley. Sun to Thursday is $19/night. The rooms are really nice too. They are part of the Primadonna Resorts.

They keep the rate low to encourage people to stay and gamble. I do feel guilty though because we never play!!

Death Valley is great - watch the clock though. The last time we were there the sun dropped really fast and we were driving back to Vegas in the dark - kinda eerie....

ChristieP Feb 6th, 2004 11:25 AM

www.cheapovegas.com gives some good reviews of Vegas hotels, and they don't have anything good to say about those three.

clarkgriswold Feb 6th, 2004 04:31 PM

Westward Ho is closest to the strip.

Stay away from the El Cortez. Try the Four Queens, The Plaza or the Las Vegas Club for a decent room at a good rate.

boom_boom Feb 6th, 2004 06:00 PM

I agree of those choices, take the Westward Ho....I always use the road via Pahrump to Death Valley....if you don't follow state highway 372 where it turns left in the middle of town, but go another few miles north on SR 160, you'll come to a road sign for wildlife area and Death Valley(left turn). It's a pretty good road and saves you at least 30 miles. I don't remember the name of the road, but it is less than 5 miles from where 372 turns off, connects right into Death Valley Junction.

ltt Feb 9th, 2004 07:36 AM

check out the super 8 motel on koval in las vegas. runs about $55/night and just a couple blocks off the strip.

jedivader Feb 9th, 2004 10:00 AM

Thanks for the help!

I have been trying to decide which entrance to take into Death Valley coming from Vegas.

Pahrump or Amargosa Valley

We are hoping to drive into Death Valley very early in the morning and make our way through the Valley up to Beatty to stay the night before heading back to Vegas.

jedivader Jul 23rd, 2004 05:45 AM

We stayed the night in Pahrump and headed into Death Valley the next morning. Visiting Death Valley takes a whole day. We got to visit pretty much everything we wanted before having to head out. We decided to drive straight back to Vegas to get a room. There is hardly anything between the Valley and Vegas from the north.

placeu2 Jul 23rd, 2004 06:24 AM

Get off the strip/freemont and you can do a lot better...How about The Orleans or Gold Coast or the Station properties?

In 2 of the 3 you listed...mabe all, you will have to step over the bums and drunks.

PetHead36 Jul 28th, 2004 10:46 AM

To get to death valley from Pahrump take belle vista road it will be a on the left, saving you many miles.

The is a great cactus store on that road. Good prices.

I did this trip in febuary from vegas in one day. Left around 7 and saw all the main sites and were back around 6:30.

I love death valley. And I believe it is a must see if you have never been there before.

placeu2 Jul 28th, 2004 10:49 AM

OK....

I did not realize that this original question is from 2/04.

Never mind.