Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dearborn, Michigan Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dearborn-michigan-lodging-404599/)

ellen_griswold Feb 28th, 2004 07:16 AM

Dearborn, Michigan Lodging

Of the following, which is the most teen friendly, and which is the best location for stuff to do (mall, henry ford museum, etc)

*Holiday Inn Fairlane - Dearborn
*Holiday Inn Southgate - (Northline Rd)

Both have indoor pools - fitness centers etc.

Or, are there any other places you can recommend? This is for a quick, two night trip in march.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

OaktownTraveler Feb 28th, 2004 09:45 AM

Hands down...The Ritz!

Enjoy,
Oaktown Traveler

RandyK Feb 28th, 2004 10:30 AM

ellen-
I'd skip both of those if it were me. I'd prefer the Fairlane Hyatt (next to the very large Fairlane Mall) or if you want to splurge try the Dearborn Inn which I believe is still a Marriott property. It's stately and at the other end of the spectrum from a Holiday Inn. Both of these may not be in the range that you want to spend, but if you are going on a weekend, the Hyatt has had some wonderful weekend rates. I stayed there for $99 a night on a weekend last fall.

Otherwise, the Holiday Inn Fairlane is a better location than the Southgate property. HI Fairlane is closer to the HF museum, Greenfield VIllage, etc by about 6 or 8 miles.

Patrick Feb 28th, 2004 11:21 AM

We stayed at the Dearborn Inn which is still a Marriott for about $99 a night on weekend in June. It's a very nice place and you cna even walk to the museum and Greenfield Village.

jenifer Feb 28th, 2004 02:26 PM

There is also a restaurant at the Dearborn Inn that is very nice, but rather upscale. But they do have a nice Sunday brunch that your family might enjoy. It is buffet style, and there are some stations where they cook pasta or omelets to order. Very nice, but I have no idea on price.

sjk Feb 28th, 2004 02:57 PM

Another vote for the Dearborn Inn. The Holiday Inn Fairlane would be my 2nd choice. There is also a Hyatt Regency in the vicinity, although I have never had cause to stay there and don't know what the rates would be like.

ellen_griswold Mar 1st, 2004 05:33 AM

Thanks for the replies!

We would go with the Dearborn Inn, but they don't have an indoor pool -- a requirement for this trip.

Read about a 'new victorian-style' holiday inn express, with pool, fitness center etc., in allen park - any comments about that?

Any and all comments appreciated!

audra Mar 1st, 2004 11:41 AM

topping.....anybody?

We're considering the hyatt also, but i don't wanna feel like i'm at a business mtg.

Comments, anybody?

cjdukes Feb 18th, 2009 10:46 AM

I asked for a 4 star hotel through Priceline and got the Hyatt Regency in Dearborn. I knew of this hotel having stayed across Ford Rd. at the Double Tree and thought it would be great. 4 stars to me means great accommodations and excellent service.

While the accommodations were very good, the service was shockingly bad. There were no towels at the pool - 3 separate guests (including me) called for towels and no one brought any in over an hour. I then went up to my room and called for a towel since we had made use of ours already and waited another hour for 2 towels brought to our room that smelled of cigarette smoke.

During our stay, we also could not help but notice the smell of marijuana smoke. We had been placed in a smoking room because the hotel did not have any double non-smoking rooms available for out stay. The room immediately on one side of us and the room across the hall contained several adults each – and judging by the smell from each room, they were all participating. Needless to say, it was not an environment for children and we did not feel comfortable raising this issue based on the fact that there were many adults participating in illegal activity. We did complain as we checked out, but were told, “Do you want to talk to the manager?” as their only response.

We then called for a bell hop and waited over 30 minutes for him to arrive and were called three separate times during that 30 minutes letting us know the bell hop was on his way to our room. And then the bell hop refused to wait for us to check out and left our luggage at the concierge desk. We had to demand that someone bring our luggage to our car since they would not allow us to wheel the luggage cart out.

The staff is not service oriented, they do not cater to their guests, they are under prepared and are not well trained. Every complaint we registered at the front desk was met with the same response, "Do you want to talk to the manager?". I would expect this at a 2 or 3 star hotel, but not at a 4 star hotel. In fact, I have stayed at 2 and 3 star hotels and received much better service from the staff there.

We were not the only ones complaining - there were at least 2 others complaining of the same things when we were checking out.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - even my worst enemy - purely based on the lack of service provided by the staff at this hotel. Stay across the street at the Double Tree - better service, less expensive and plenty of nice, big towels at the pool!

SuzieTrue Feb 18th, 2009 11:47 AM

Nothing like bringing up an almost 5 year old thread just to bash a hotel.