Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   DC Weekend Hotel Picks (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dc-weekend-hotel-picks-504362/)

Jasmine Feb 16th, 2005 07:21 AM

DC Weekend Hotel Picks

DH and I would like to spend a weekend in DC in April or May, seeing the Smithsonian, Monuments, and the Wall. Are there hotels that are within walking distance from this end of town, or if I do an internet search, which part of town should I be looking for (i.e. west side, whatever). Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated - and I'm looking a safe, clean hotel, not an upscale experience. I know the hotels are pricey but I don't really want to park outside and take the train/trolley into town.

radiofanatic Feb 16th, 2005 07:29 AM

we stayed at the Capital Hilton which was one block from the Capital. We used priceline and got it for $55 a night.

Cicerone Feb 16th, 2005 07:58 AM

To access the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, WWII Memorial, Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial on on foot, you could stay in the Foggy Bottom area or the White House Area. I think priceline uses both terms as locators, they may use “Pennsylvania Ave NW/White House) There are a number of hotels in each area in various price ranges. Run a search here using “foggy bottom”, not sure how to search for White House area on this site, perhaps try the “hotels” guide put together by Fodors on this site, click on “Hotels” above. Frommers also has an easy to use site at frommers.com. The Willard, Hay-Adams and the JW Marriott leap to mind in the White House area, there are others.

Note that the Smithsonian is a number of buildings spread up and down the Mall, so it may be a long walk to some of them from your hotel. The Metro stops near some of them. Website for the Smithsonian is www.si.edu.

For a good map of the Mall and what is located on it, go to http://www.nps.gov/nama/graphics/Wel...ashington1.pdf .
Also take a look at the National Park Service website at nps.gov as virtually all you want to see is a national park.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Feb 16th, 2005 07:59 AM

Loew's L'Enfant Plaza is the closest hotel to the majority of Smithsonian sites (you do realize there are about 2 dozen?) but then it's over 2 miles from the Capitol to Arlington Cemetary ... so no matter where your hotel, you end up walking or taking some form of transportation. Don't discount taking the subway, it's much nicer than other systems in the US. There is also a Holiday Inn on Lousiana, close to the National Gallery of Art. Enjoy your visit.

RuthMc Feb 16th, 2005 08:22 AM

The Capital Hilton is not one block from the Capitol, it's at 16th & K Sts. A decent location for what you want, but I didn't want you thinking it is near the Capitol.

Underhill Feb 16th, 2005 08:39 AM

we found the loews l'enfant plaza very convenient and comfortable, with the bonus of being right on top of a metro station. you should be able to get a good week-end package.

denice7 Feb 16th, 2005 09:48 AM

I live in the city walk or metro it everywhere. I would recommend the following.
Hilton Garden Inn on 14th. Nice, new hotel and right across the street from the blue line McPherson Square metro.
The Mayflower - This is a Marriott Renaisance and is a beautiful hotel. It is located on Connecticut a few blocks from the White House and 1/2 block from Farragut North red line metro. Sometimes I get this for $129 on there website for family when they are visiting.
Both of these are in easy walking of the mall.

Crown Plaza is at 14th and K. Just 2 blocks from the Hilton Garden Inn.

repete Feb 16th, 2005 07:11 PM

Downside of the Loew's is that it's on the wrong side of the mall if you want to easily enjoy the downtown dining and other amenities. The place is very dead after the workday ends.

Plenty of other hotels have great metro access too. The Hilton Garden Inn is a nice suggestion for a moderately priced place -- relatively new, clean and convenient to both Metro and some great dining options. It's not a bad walk from the Mall.

JW Marriott is several blocks closer than the Garden Inn, but pricier -- although cheaper than the Willard or the Hay-Adams.