Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   DC/VA Fodorites Please Check In (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dc-va-fodorites-please-check-in-188515/)

Jeannie Sep 12th, 2001 09:32 AM

DC/VA Fodorites Please Check In

We have heard from Leone, so Joy in VA, Ilisa, Cindy, etc. when you get a chance, please let us know how you are.

L Sep 12th, 2001 10:48 AM

Also Ann or Anne .... the one who had the terrible luncheon experience at Stella's in Alexandria. Please check in ... who else am I going to disagree with about Old Town restaurants. Please do let us know you're okay. Ciao, Leone

Emmy Sep 12th, 2001 10:53 AM

Ilisa was on the Europe board yesterday. She was very happy she no longer works in DC, but scared for her husband, who works for the Secret Service.

lisa Sep 12th, 2001 11:58 AM

I'm here, horrified, sad, and shaken, but unharmed.

Cindy Sep 12th, 2001 12:03 PM

After a really fearful morning yesterday, we are all fine. <BR> <BR>I've been thinking all day how things might have been different had those brave people on the last flight not turned back the attackers. I know the official reports speculate that the plane was headed for Camp David, but I think not (why shoot for a remote, hard-to-find underpopulated area in the woods?) I think they were going for the Capitol -- up on a hill, large, and visible. <BR> <BR>If you look at the flight path, it is a straight line from the crash site to the Capitol, straight over my home and hubby's office. Those passengers will never know how many lives they saved with their bravery. <BR> <BR>Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Schools are closed today, and my kids are getting some extra hugs and too many cupcakes.

Cindy Sep 12th, 2001 12:15 PM

Has anyone heard from Monica?

kalena Sep 12th, 2001 12:19 PM

Cindy: So good to hear from you. <BR> <BR>I heard on public radio this am that nea.org has posted information on how to deal with this kind of crisis, and how we can help our children. I haven't looked at it yet, but it sounded very helpful. But I am sure the cupcakes and hugs are right up there in terms of what to do. :) <BR> <BR>Take care, we are thinking about you all. God bless.

ilisa Sep 12th, 2001 12:23 PM

I'm here. We are fine, though, as mentioned, I've been concerned about my husband is with the Secret Service. He's now working 12 hour shifts until further notice. Everything seems so surreal. A friend of ours has a brother in law who is a firefighter in NY. He happened to be off yesterday, but his whole company died in the collapse. My cousin in Paris was on the phone with someone at the WTC at the time of one of the attacks. I can't begin to describe how I feel.

L Sep 12th, 2001 12:24 PM

I have Monica's address ... I'll ask her to sign in, please. I am assuming you are refering to Monica of the Fodorite luncheons. Ciao

kal Sep 12th, 2001 12:29 PM

We're all with you ilisa. <BR>Take care, <BR>The Kals

L Sep 12th, 2001 12:33 PM

Monica is okay - she will be signing on soon. Ciao

Joy in Virginia Sep 12th, 2001 12:43 PM

Thanks for asking! I am in central VA, near Richmond. My office is near the state capitol, so I actually felt comforted yesterday seeing the Capitol Police walking around looking for anything suspicious. A physician (Dr. Joe Ornato, terrific guy) who works at the university hospital (Medical College of Virginia) here was at a Medical conference on Trauma in NYC yesterday, after waiting at a makeshift receiving center at the hotel without getting many patients, he got the NYC officials to take a busload of physicians to an area to set up triage near the disaster site. You have to know Dr. Ornato to know that this is of course what he would do! He has been sending back a few quick reports to the local news.

Beth Sep 12th, 2001 12:52 PM

ilisa- glad to hear you are okay. I can certainly sympathize with you. (now I know why I identify with many of your posts) My husband works for US Secret Service here in Chiccago and they are working VERY long hours too(he is in intelligence but alas an tell me nothing) we also have a friend who was in World Trade Building 7 who is unacounted for at the present time. Still praying . . .

Monica Sep 12th, 2001 12:55 PM

Hi fellow fodorites, I'm okay. Went home early yesterday. I work at Fort Detrick – that wonderful place with all the biochemical’s and satellite dishes to Moscow (which was mentioned in the news last night as a possible target besides Camp David). I didn't know where Tony was and we have 2 very good friends who work at the Pentagon, so I decided, hell with work, I’m going home. I finally heard from Tony, my husband, who's a pilot and he ended up flying to Charlotte, NC. He and his crew are now driving up in a rented van and I expect him home around midnight. <BR> <BR>I’m still numb today and still teary-eyed every time I hear the news or watch t.v. Unbelievable. It took me 2 hours to drive a normal 15-minute ride; plus 22 minutes of walking (I gave up on driving and parked my car near the highway at a parking lot) to get to my office today. I’m not looking forward to tomorrow morning, but will remember to wear sneakers. Anyway, I’m okay and just hope that everyone else is safe too! <BR> <BR>Ilisa, I was so sorry to read your posting! Tony’s cousin is a firefighter. He’s safe as he wasn’t close the buildings when they collapsed. And how horrible for your cousin! A co-worker has a friend that made it out of one of the buildings. He was on the 75th floor and when it was hit, he RAN down those steps, passing people. I just can’t imagine the scene in those stairwells. I’m sure Jim will be fine and will keep him in my prayers along with others. <BR> <BR>Keep your prayers for those who have lost loved ones. I know I will be so happy to have Tony home so I can hug and kiss him! <BR> <BR>God bless America! Stay strong! <BR>

Hoping Sep 13th, 2001 06:13 AM

Aything from CMILLER or chris(?) miller? I know she lived in Falls Church/McLean but I thought she worked nearthe Pentagon in Arlington.

martha python Sep 13th, 2001 06:24 AM

Also fine. My husband and I work downtown and live in Arlington. We walked/bolted home.

dan woodlief Sep 13th, 2001 09:26 AM

So glad you are ok Monica. I was just thinking two minutes ago that I should e-mail you tonight since I hadn't seen your name here. I knew you didn't work at the Pentagon, but I didn't know whether you ever went there for business. I may pass Tony on the way home from work, but hopefully he will already be closer to home by then. This catastrophe touched so many people in personal ways because people from all over worked in both targeted areas.

Ann Sep 13th, 2001 10:23 AM

Hey Leone, thanks for the concern. Hopefully I'll be around to argue with you for a long time. <BR> <BR>I'm okay, and so far am extremely lucky that none of my friends or family have been a victim. Guess that could change in the coming days. Hope everyone is safe.

L Sep 13th, 2001 10:29 AM

Hey, Ann, glad you checked in and that youre okay ... as you can tell, there's been quite a lot of emphasis on accounting for folks in the metro DC area, just as others are doing in NYC. Take care, and hopefully we'll all meet again to debate when times are saner (which may be a while). Have a great day. Ciao

Monica Sep 13th, 2001 10:32 AM

Hi Dan, yes, I am okay, but still upset. I have the radio on and heard wonderful news that 2 police offices were found alive. They were found about 1/2 hour ago or so. Some guys were just doing "routine" cleanup and when the picked up some metal sheet, there they were! They walked out on their own! Just makes me choke up again. Just heard on the news that 5 to 7 more may be alive. <BR> <BR>Tony made it home safely late last night. Thanks for your concern. <BR> <BR>I hope you are well despite these events. <BR> <BR>Take care! <BR>