Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   DC v. Arlington Cemetary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dc-v-arlington-cemetary-480479/)

radiofanatic Oct 15th, 2004 06:44 AM

DC v. Arlington Cemetary

Next weekend, we are going to be in DC. My dh loves and I mean LOVES cemetaries and wants to spend some time at the Arlington Cemetary - I have been there twice already and don't want to see it again. He is planning on going Sunday am. So my question is twofold (a) what time does the cemetary open; and (b) what would you recommend that I do for a 1/2 day on a sunday am while he does that? Thanks!

obxgirl Oct 15th, 2004 07:01 AM

The cemetery opens at 8 am everyday. The grounds of National Zoo will also be open at that time (buildings open later in the am) if that has any interest for you. The mall memorials (Lincoln, Jefferson, etc) are open at 8 am. I'd probably park myself in a good coffee shop with the Wash Post and NY Times until the National Gallery or one of the other Smithsonian museums opened.

E Oct 15th, 2004 09:09 AM

Whta do you like to do? I can think of several things I'd do in a city for 1/2 day without my SO: sleep in; take a long bath; get the NY Times and or Washignton Post, and, as obxgirl suggests, park myself near some coffee or tea; go shopping; get a manucure/pedicure; take a long walk with my camera if weather permits; visit the National Gallery, my favorite museum in the world. It all delends on what interests/desires you have that he doesn't share...

E Oct 15th, 2004 09:10 AM

Oh dear. Hard to type with Cat holding down one arm...sorry for all the typos!

radiofanatic Oct 15th, 2004 10:16 AM

I like shopping but I was not sure if the stores would open on a sunday am - I was thinking maybe georgetown - I guess I was concerned on what would be open on a sunday am.

jtp Oct 15th, 2004 02:37 PM

Does anyone know if Murphy's in Old Towne (Alexandria) is still there- if so you'll never be alone at Murphy's - enjoy an irish brunch and wait out the cemetary trip then catch up and check out the new sites like the American Native Museum (was there last weekend for the first time - crowded but worth seeing)

radiofanatic Oct 18th, 2004 05:42 AM

thanks to all who helped and more help greatly appreciated!

Budman Oct 18th, 2004 08:04 AM

Yes, Murphy's is still there on King Street.

Old Town is a great idea for a 1/2 day on Sunday. The old Torpedo Factory has been turned into an art/craft place, and King street is a great place to walk, with all the antique stores, pubs, restaurants, shopping, etc. ((b))

radiofanatic Oct 18th, 2004 09:22 AM

Old town arlington sounds like a great idea and I'll definitely go to Murphy's! can you take the metro to old town alexandria? If so, which stop is it? And how do I get from the stop to Murphy's? And what is the name of the stop for the cemetary.Thanks!

kaudrey Oct 18th, 2004 09:35 AM

Hi radiofanatic - the metro stop for Arlington Cemetery is called...Arlington Cemetery. It's on the Blue Line. To get to Old Town, stay on the Blue Line after your husband gets off, and get off at King Street. Walk down King Street and in a little while you'll be at the start of Old Town. Murphy's is at 713 King St. It's a fun place. The distance from the metro to the Potomac River is about 1 mile, so plan on walking that far to see the area. One the way to the water, you'll hit all kinds of fun shops, galleries, restaurants, the fountain in front of city hall, and then, finally, the river.

If you walk a little ways down the boardwalk along the water(turn left when you hit it)and then look left, you'll see DC. If you continue to walk down the boardwalk, you'll see the park where people bring their dogs to play, and, if the weather is nice enough, you may see me and my friends on the beach volleyball court... :) Weather permitting, we usually get there around 11am and stay until 2 or 3.

Karen.

radiofanatic Oct 18th, 2004 09:58 AM

Thanks Karen - that sounds great! And I'll wave to you if I see you! And thanks to all for your help with restaurants, sights, cruises, etc. and I'll do my first trip report upon my return! Thanks again!

The_Editor Oct 18th, 2004 10:05 AM

No matter what the weather forecast says, take a little umbrella. This past weekend, we got drenched 3 times by "partly cloudy."

SB_Travlr Oct 18th, 2004 12:21 PM

One more suggestion -- but of course, this is very dependent on what your personal views/preferences are. Sunday mornings for me mean a church service, and if you're in DC there is a huge spectrum of services to choose from.

One unique experience would be the National Cathedral, a grand space with a wonderful choir. Some good places nearby for brunch afterwards too, as I recall. And after that, you're not far from the National Zoo.

Ann41 Oct 27th, 2004 05:30 AM

Murphy's is still there, but there a couple of better choices for brunch. Cafe Marianna's is the my favorite restaurant in OT, but it can be hard to find and it's a much longer walk. But Bilbo Baggins' also has a good Sunday brunch, and is on Queen Street, not far from the river.