New York with 14yr old girl

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning girls' trip in June with my babydoll for back-to-school shopping (we are from atlanta and she is graduating from middle school and going from private to public school and suddenly will need complete wardrobe). Not into museums or shows so we are focussed on shopping and shopping. But affordable- like H&M, Urban Outfitters type stuff. Need tips on sample sales, etc.- off beaten path stuff that is more unique than the chain stores. This is our first mother-daughter trip- want it to be super special so any other tips welcome. I already know about Dylans....
Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM

Well, there's Macy's at Herald Square and H&M, and Forever 21 that should work, also Conway has great jeans/tees at reasonable prices so you can even buy more. Jeans there will be $10-$12. Tees $3-$10. Conway 2 locations are 7th and 34th and 34th between 7th and 8th.

There's also Daffy's across from Macy's and should have amazing sales in June.

There's also a DSW and Famous Footware across from KMart, all right in the same area.

Have a great time while you are here.

Check NY Mag for sample sales.
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:58 AM

I'm not sure I understand how you intend buying back to school clothes in NYC in June for school in the fall? I know your weather is warmer than ours, but you do really want to be buying summer clothes for school? All the clothes in the stores here are for spring/summer not fall. I also get the sense that what's "in" to wear is different in different parts of the country and at a new school at that age, she's likely to want to dress to fit in. Are you/she sure you know what the other kids at that school wear?

Here's a list of stores from NY Mag. http://nymag.com/srch?t=business_sho...ml_sort_name|0
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Actually it might be better. I would think girls in Atlanta would wear shorts nearly year-round.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Walk on Broadway from about Canal Street to Union Square (SOHO). Lots of stores...shoes, Victoria, Urban, etc. and lots of restaurants. Think a 14 yr old would love. Also, try looking at www.dailycandy.com (NYC). That site sometimes lists sample sales. Also, you can take a bus from the Bus Terminal to Woodbury Commons -- outlets. It's a short trip; definitely one day outing. Have a great time.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your input- yes, it's warm here until at least end of September, and they wear jeans and cute tops, so she can layer as it gets colder. I can always supplement back home but if she just gets some tops and jeans there, she will be in heaven. All of your recs sounds great.... especially the Cala
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

oops- espcially the Canal St to Union Sq. route.
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:37 PM

Broadway north of Canal Street was what I was going to suggest as well. When she comes to visit, my 15 y.o. niece loves finding things there that are unique to where she lives in the south. However, it's probably sufficient to shop from Canal to Houston, though continuing up through NYU territory might be interesting for a bit of an academic perspective...

Try not to get bogged down on Canal Street itself. (I may be biased, but I don't find it worthwhile to haggle for knock-off designer bags and other cheaply made stuff.)

There's a plethora of shops on Broadway. One way to check out what's there is to zoom in on a google map of the area, and even do street view. A few suggestions, more or less from south to north:
- Pearl River Mart. Definitely not a chain store! For example, Chinese-style silks and ceramics on the ground floor (everything from change purses to kimonos); a little tea area; downstairs are housewares and a public bathroom.
- The Japanese chain stores Muji and Uniqlo
- The SoHo Bloomingdales showcases more emerging designers and higher end stuff, fun for window shopping. A good bathroom in the men's department/basement level. (I was quoted in a Fodor's guidebook once on that one!)
- There's a Daffy's and an Old Navy, if you want
- All the stores a teen could want, from a large American Apparel shop one block north of Canal to Madewells, H&M, Zara, Forever 21 etc., and plenty of shoe stores
- Other unique but pricey shops include ScoopNYC. And don't forget Prada!

Unfortunately, that stretch of Broadway isn't known for particularly good food options. Of course there's always Balthazar and the restaurant at the French Culinary Institute. For lighter fare, there's a Pain Quotidien just west of Broadway on Grand Street (IMO better than the Starbucks on Broadway there). Or head east to Chinatown/Little Italy along Grand, Spring or Prince Streets. The NY-Magazine affiliated website menupages.com is a good resource for all sorts of restaurants in the city...

Have fun!!
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delayed follow up- but that is SO helpful. I think we will do just great following all of those tips. I really appreciate it.
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as H&M, the two my granddaughters liked best were the one just north of Union Square on 5th Ave at 18th St. and the other on 59th Street and Lexington.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:27 AM

The H&M on Broadway in SoHo isn't as large as some of their other locations. But I've never walked away empty-handed!

jdp, very glad to be of help! I think by the time I wrote all that out, I was a bit brain-dead about food options. Neither of these might be what you're looking for, but two favorites are:
- The really cute Spanish grocery and sandwich shop Despana (primarily takeout).
despananyc.com
http://menupages.com/restaurants/despana/
- Rice to Riches is a decadent detour!
ricetoriches.com

In general, you'll find a number of eateries if you walk east on Spring Street, including the ever-popular Lombardi's pizza. (As you walk up Broadway from Canal towards Houston, turn right on Spring.)
firstpizza.com
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM

Even if you don't buy anything, stop in at the Abercrombie and Fitch on 5th Avenue. It's a trip and she'll love it.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM

In a similar vein to Bowsprit's comment, the Hollister store at the corner of Broadway and Houston is quite a "trip". (Though I have no clue how anyone gets any shopping done in any of their dimly lit stores!)

The comments about this particular Hollister location will give you an idea of the crazy scene (be forewarned some of them are not very politely written!!).
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hollister-co-new-york

Personally, I was very sad they day they painted over the DKNY mural with the Hollister logo on the side of that building. Intricate NYC vista to Hollister-beige in a matter of moments - definitely the passing of an era!
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:49 PM

(Though I have no clue how anyone gets any shopping done in any of their dimly lit stores!)

---------------------------------------------------------
These two stores have some of the best sales help I've ever experienced. It would be shocking if one couldn't get their shopping done!
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

She loves hollister. Also, she doesn't like fancy food but loves hip restaurants. I love Eleven Madison and Gotham but besides being booked, she'd hate the menu. Any ideas?
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:31 AM

ggreen - I won't walk in to that Hollister or any other because they painted over that mural.