Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > DC (romantic?) restaurants: Gerard's -v- Equinox?

DC (romantic?) restaurants: Gerard's -v- Equinox?

Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:28 PM
scott in cowtown

DC (romantic?) restaurants: Gerard's -v- Equinox?

Both restaurants have gotten great reviews in travel books and by the Washingtonian.

Anyone have any comments? My wife and I will be visiting town and eating there on either a Sunday or Monday evening, for our anniversary.

They both have fixed-priced 5 course menus we are considering. The appear to be in the same price range...

Thanks for the input.

Jul 4th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Ruth

I haven't eaten at either but a friend ate at Gerard's last year and really loved it. I'll get some feedback from her and post again. Gerard's is a local, chef-owned establishment--I don't know if Equinox is or not.

Jul 5th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Ruth

I talked with the friend who ate at Gerard's. She said it's a small restaurant with wonderful food and service. She wouldn't call it romantic in the sense of having booths in which you feel isolated. I believe that on Monday evenings you can bring your own wine which they will pour for a corkage fee, so you could buy a really special bottle without paying the sometimes outrageous markups restaurants impose. You'd better check that with the restaurant however in the event that they've changed their practice.

Jul 5th, 2001, 06:16 AM
L

I've eaten at both, and for the money, I'd give the edge to Equinox ... Gerard's Place will be easily twice as expensive, and while it is good french food, it is far from brilliant. Equinox is just two blocks from the White House and is nicely laid out. We thought the food was excellent, and the prices right. You cannot go wrong with either, but there are several other restaurants in DC that are, for the money, better ... such as Citronelle. Have a nice trip. Ciao

Search this Thread