Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   DC Metro - how safe in the evenings? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dc-metro-how-safe-in-the-evenings-276025/)

Laura Nov 26th, 2002 08:08 AM

DC Metro - how safe in the evenings?

Hi,<BR><BR>I am going to DC next May and am just wondering how safe is the metro in the evenings for two women travelling together? How late would you use it? When I was in Brussels you wouldn't use the metro after 8 pm. Is it like that in DC?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Laura

Spider Nov 26th, 2002 08:16 AM

Metro is very safe day or night. It's some of the surrounding neighborhoods that you should be more concerned about. What do you plan to see while you're here?<BR>This is the web site for the Metrorail and bus system:<BR>http://www.wmata.com/

Ann Nov 26th, 2002 08:22 AM

I've been living here since 1987, and have never felt unsafe on the Metro, day or night.<BR><BR>There have been isolated incidents on the metro, but it is not common at all.

Laura Nov 26th, 2002 08:28 AM

In the evening we would probably be using the metro to go to a restaurant. We are staying at Key Bridge. I know there is a Mall about 4 stops away, so we might to the movies one evening there.<BR>Thanks for the advice!<BR>Laura

Ann Nov 26th, 2002 08:31 AM

I think you're talking about the Ballston Commons Mall. You'll be perfectly safe.<BR><BR>There's also a movie theater at the Courthouse stop (just one stop from Rosslyn). When you get to the street via escalator, turn 180 degrees and you'll see the theater, or at least people walking over to it.

Laura Nov 26th, 2002 08:37 AM

Yes, it is the Ballston Commons Mall. I looked at the web page and thought some of the restaurants look good there too.<BR>Thanks for the advice.<BR>Laura

r-travels Nov 26th, 2002 08:43 AM

The area you're staying in is a somewhat quiet area - mostly office buildings and high-priced high-rise apartments. It's actually VERY quiet, with little to do at nighttime or weekends .. but quite safe. In the same building as the Metro is a small food court. Georgetown just across the bridge. Do an internet search for stationmasters (there might be link from wmata.com) for info about the immediate area around each metro stop.

Jason Nov 26th, 2002 09:44 AM

You'll be fine. I live a few blocks away in the Courthouse area. In addition to the Ballston Commons mall, there is another mall that is only a few stops away, Pentagon City mall. There are theaters at Courthouse, Ballston, and Pentagon City.

Rania Dec 6th, 2002 12:36 PM

The metro is pretty safe in the evenings. Even at 7:30-8 there are still a number of people returning home from work, and I would say the trains don't become really empty until 11-12. Still, you shouldn't worry too much about taking metro - i've lived here the past 10 years and had no problems at all. The areas you'll be in are relatively safe - save the occassional incidents you'd face in any city. There is also another movie theater that has just opened up in Georgetown - a short walk from Key Bridge. I think it's a Loews...

Monica Dec 6th, 2002 01:28 PM

Laura - the metro system in DC is by far one of THE safest around. Of course you should always use common sense like you would in ANY city, but you should be perfectly fine using the metro at any hour. Rather than spending time at Ballston - go to the Court House area or Clarendon where there are much nicer restaurants, more outdoor walking areas and there are movie theaters right at the CourtHouse metro exit. Ballston is nice - but it's just a lower priced mall without much to see or do in. Have a great holiday!

arlington Dec 6th, 2002 04:32 PM

Plus, after Sept 11, there are cops galore on metro, both uniformed and undercover.

jj Dec 10th, 2002 12:18 PM

Since Georgetown is awkward to get to (no metro stop in Georgetown), I would suggest you look into bus routes on the website Spider recommended. There are a few buses that go across Key Bridge into Georgetown from Virginia. Keep your eyes peeled for the &quot;Exorcist&quot; stairs as you cross over the bridge into Georgetown!!!

joebob Dec 10th, 2002 12:24 PM

the DC subway is one of the cleanest, most efficient and safest in the country (if not the safest). you should be more concerned about when and where you get off the metro. Just be sure where you are going is my point there.

r-travels Dec 11th, 2002 07:42 AM

There's the Georgetown Shuttle that serves Rosslyn, DupontCircle, and FoggyBottom stations to various points in Georgetown. Fare is $0.50, or $0.25 if you have a transfer pass from the Metro station you boarded AT. Transfer passes avail from machines usually near the down escalator AFTER you pass thru turnstiles entering station.

Sarah Dec 11th, 2002 08:33 AM

I have to agree you need to think about the subway stop you are getting off at. If it is in a desserted area that would be risky. You want to always be mindful not to stay in isolated areas in any city. Having said that I can't imagine not using most European subways at night. You can always cab it if you are just plain nervous Laura. Cabs are not too expensive and they get you around easy.<BR><BR>I used the subways at 9-10:30 in July in DC. This was summer though and there were plenty of tourist about. If this is a warm day in May you will have the same experience. I went from the Starwood 4 points (which was a deal by the way) to the lincoln memorial at the hours mentioned above.

Johnlw Dec 11th, 2002 08:53 AM

It really depends on where you are going. A woman was recently murdered at the Tacoma Park stop. She was a local who took a 'short cut' home.<BR><BR>I work in northeast, near the Rhode Avenue stop, and I won't walk up there in the daytime.<BR><BR>Out to northwest, to Bethesda etc. it is safe. Remember, DC has a lot of crime, be safe downtown, take a cab at night.

Christina Dec 11th, 2002 07:07 PM

It does really depend where you are going and what your plans are when you get there. The metro itself is almost always pretty safe, but not the surrounding areas necessarily -- most crime is in the parking lots are walking on nearby streets. I use the metro until 10-11 if I need to, if I'm getting off in a safe area, but I wouldn't do that in others. <BR><BR>I live near the Takoma Park stop and it wasn't a &quot;local&quot; who was murdered, actually, not that that makes it much better -- it was a visitor from out of town. And it wasn't at the metro, she walked alone late at night from that metro stop to a bad part of DC about 4-5 blocks away. That was really tragic but that is something I would never recommend someone do, and the people she was staying with (who do live here) should have told her not to do that especially because they would have known the crime rate in that area where they live. I think the city stops around a lot of people and stores are safer in that regard late at night. I would have no qualms getting off the Dupont Circle stop at 10-11 pm, but I would be somewhat nervous in the burbs, and avoid it if I can, especially some of the end stops (and not all in Maryland, Vienna has a bad crime rate). However, those who use the Ballston one have the best experience with that one, as they've told you, and you probably wouldn't have any reason to go to others not downtown.<BR><BR>I wouldn't say there are only isolated incidents on the metro, though. I've seen the crime statistics and there are hundreds of incidents a year on the metro--most are theft, of course, but there are a couple hundred robberies a year and 50-100 assaults. That's probably not bad considering the volume of use. There have been a few times that I have felt unsafe on the metro late at night due to some of the passengers on the route I take, but it's mainly when you get out of the station.

Claudia Dec 23rd, 2002 08:12 AM

Just to let you know, the Metro sells 1 day passes (after 9:30) for $5. If you plan on going to a bunch of different places on one day, it would be worth checking out. There is also a 1 week pass for $25. You can read about it on www.metroopensdoors.com<BR><BR>As for the safety, you're pretty much okay anywhere but on some of the places on the green line towards Anacostia. just be aware of your surroundings and don't blantantly come across like a tourist.

r-travels Dec 23rd, 2002 02:46 PM

There's another 7 day pass also worth considering. the 7 day &quot;short trip&quot; pass is $17 or $18. For trips during &quot;peak times&quot;, it is good for the first $1.80 of whatever the fare is, but good for ALL the fare during non-peak times. We stayed out in Arlington, and NEVER had to pay any extra for our trips, yet were able to ride before 9:30 weekdays, unlike using the other pass. In fact, during another trip had the other pass, and couldn't figure why the turnstile wouldn't open when we got out a little earlier than usual one morning. Avail at same website as above.

LN Dec 23rd, 2002 03:45 PM

Hi Laura<BR><BR>It really boils down to &quot;Use your good sense&quot; I've lived in the area for my entire life and there are areas that I prefer not to travel in daylight. When in doubt, hire a cab. You'll be safer and feel more secure. My friends and I enjoy meeting for dinner and generally use the &quot;buddy&quot; system of always having two of us together. We choose good areas and try to avoid certain parts of town (from capitol Hill eastward, southward, and northward. You really would not want to stay in a hotel on New York ave or in the SW area.<BR><BR>You can probably get around most of DC by subway after 8 pm but I think I'd try to stick to a time close to that.<BR>Otherwise, have a great time!! Like most big cities Washington can have two faces.