Reload this Page >

DC in June with kids...looking for lots of tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2000, 05:25 PM
funintwos

We'll be in DC in June, as a family with four kids (ages 3.5 to 13). Any tips on getting around the city? We'll probably be staying outside in nearby VA and taking the metro in. Is the metro safe and "do-able" even with kids? Should we avoid evening hours? We already have White House tickets from our congressman, as well as Capital passes. Is the Tourmobile worth it to get around to the attractions? Is it true that Tourmobile tickets putchased after 2:00 are also good on the next day? Any recomendations on family eateries in the area of all "the sights" would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Old May 29th, 2000, 06:23 PM
chuck weisenbach

Greetings:

We were in DC last July with three children (12, 9, 5). It was a wonderful trip. The metro is the way to go. They sell $5/passes per person that allow you unlimited travel all day. We stayed out in the suburbs of Maryland; parked at one of metro stations and used the metro all day. It was excellent. We felt it was very safe. We were in most nights by 9:00 PM. I cannot say enough how easy it was with the all day pass. Eatery wise we found the Union Station to be great for us because of the kids. It has probably 60-70 different places to eat not counting the fancier sit down places. It is right on the metro line so we could always zip over there for lunch or dinner and get back on the metro.

All of the sights were great. Ford's theater was good. A surprise was how much the kids liked the tour of the FBI building. It is close to Ford's theater so they can be done in the same afternoon.

The monuments were beautiful at night.

What a great city to visit.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Chuck and Jane Weisenbach

Old May 29th, 2000, 06:31 PM
Cindy

You've asked a lot of questions, so I'll just take a crack at the few I can answer.

1. Yes, the Metro is safe at night. It is an excellent way to get around the District from the nearby suburbs. It goes to most of the places you'll be going. I take my young kids on it all of the time -- just hang onto them. As a family of 5-6 people, please remember that each individual over the age of 5 must have his/her own Metro card. You can't all just use the same card. The machines accept bills up to $20, but they will only give you up to about $5 change, so bring small, crisp bills with you. Evening hours are fine, but service is more limited as trains run less frequently. But they run long past your little one's bedtime. Bring an easy-to-handle stroller, because the escalators are very long and not safe for a child in a stroller. Unless you'd like to spend a lot of time looking for the elevator at each Metro stop, bring a light stroller and fold it when you come to an escalator. As a local, I will also add that we'd appreciate it if you could all stand to the right as you ride on the escalator so that you don't block commuters in a hurry.

2. Tourmobile. I'm a big fan. I would suggest using it the first day you arrive, if it is a nice day. Get up early, and use it for transport around the Mall and to Arlington Cemetery. Don't do any indoor attractions that day -- just hit all of the major outdoor monuments. Come back again for the various sights once you have gotten your bearings. I don't know whether tickets bought after 2:00 can be used the next day. But I have found that one full day is plenty, and you might as well just start in the morning while everyone is fresh.

Old May 29th, 2000, 06:36 PM
Cindy

Whoa! That was weird. Let me continue:

3. Can't help much with places to eat close to the Mall. HardRock Cafe is near Ford's Theatre. Some of the museums have cafeterias. The Old Post Office is near the Mall kind of by the Washington monument, and it has the same kinds of eateries found at Union Station. Frankly, I have found that it works best just to bring your lunch if you possibly can. Then, you just eat wherever you are when you get hungry rather than negotiate a 20-minute walk/Metro combo just to find a place to eat.

4. My favorite guide book is "The Unofficial Guide to Washington, D.C." by Bob Schessinger (sp). Good source of basic info on most everything.

Have fun!

Old May 29th, 2000, 08:03 PM
Sara

As far as dining options go (for lunch, anyway), let me just add that if you're going to the Smithsonian musuems, each one (that we've been to) seems to have a pretty good cafeteria appropriate for families - not cordon bleu dining, but reasonably priced and enjoyable. I also endorse Union Station - lots of choices, probably something to please everyone in the family, no matter how picky. Have fun!

Old May 29th, 2000, 08:39 PM
anna

Our kids really enjoyed the Post Office Museum near Union Station. Also the FBI and The Bureau of Printing and engraving.

Old May 30th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Andrea

We went to DC with two kids ages 9 and 7 a few years back. The best advice I have for you is to go to the monuments in the late afternoon, especially in June. We were also there in June, and we found large groups of school children on field trips nearly everywhere we went. I have nothing against field trips (I teach jr. high myself), but the large numbers of loosely supervised children dampered the emotional effect of the memorials--especially the Vietnam Vets memorial. We found that between 3:30 and 4 p.m. the groups were all loading back into their buses and leaving, making the rest of the afternoon more relaxing for us. This was also a good time to go into one of the Smithsonian museums. We found that even though we only had an hour or so left before it closed, the experience was much better with the fewer people.

If you're planning a trip to Mount Vernon (and I highly recomend this; it was my favorite thing about our trip) my advice is to get there early. We used the Metro every day except the day we went to Mount Vernon when we took our own car. We arrived about 45 minutes before their advertised opening time and were let right in. We had the place nearly to ourselves for at least 1/2 hour, enough time for a private tour of the house and plenty of time to wander the grounds. We spent a total of three hours here--it was a beautiful day, and I could have sat on Washington's veranda all afternoon!!

While my husband and in-laws went to the Holocaust museum, I took my kids to the national aquarium (I can't remember where it is exactly, but we walked there from the mall area). The aquarium is very small, and, frankly, I wasn't impressed, but my kids still talk about that and say it was their favorite part of the entire trip. Maybe looking at live things was a great change of pace for them after monuments and museums.

Don't miss Arlington--it was truly a moving experience for us.

DC is a great place for families to vacation; we can't wait to go back. Hope your family has a great time!!

Old May 30th, 2000, 06:10 AM
june

Air & Space Is the #1 for all kids!!
Great cafe at the Natl Gallery
Stay at a place with a pool, yourkids will want & need it in jUne.
Carosel on the mall is a hit!
eat in old post office building mall
Zoo is great by TIRING.
There is a kids museum we didnt go to but it is said to be good.
Lines are too long at engraving for little ones.
Hirschorn has a lovely sculpture garden kids can run in.
See FDR memorial---great & outdoors; same with Lincoln Memorial.

Old May 30th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Lily

Hi.

Yes to Metro, my nephew (7) enjoyed the metro most of all! Of course we come from a small town and this was his and our daughter's (12) first time on one. In fact they got a BIG kick out of reading the metro stops and deciding which was ours!

As for places to eat the places mentioned above are very good suggestions. Also in June with an all day metro pass, consider one of the many ethnic cafe's in Adams-Morgan (10 minute walk from the Woodley Park metro stop). Many of these places have outdoor seating and it is a safe neighborhood. Our gang enjoyed dinner there 3 separate nights. It made for a really nice evening sitting outside we ordered several dishes and taste tested things we hadn't had before.

Enjoy!!

Old May 30th, 2000, 06:19 AM
Cindy

June reminded me of something worth mentioning. I'd skip the Children's museum. It is really not great, it costs money, and you have to walk a ways from Union Station through what is not my favorite part of town. It's probably not dangerous, but nothing like strolling along the mall. Better to use the time for a day-trip to Baltimore for the National Aquarium.

Old May 30th, 2000, 10:27 AM
Diane

Bring those squeeze bottles to fill with water and juice to carry with you! It can get REALLY hot here and everyone will get thirsty. Also some of those superlight-weight rain ponchos that fit in pockets. I raised two kids in the DC area and it is just full of terrific things to do.

Old May 30th, 2000, 10:34 AM
John

Hiya,
Thought I'd mention again a lunch spot which was a big hit with my 13 YO when visiting the Capitol - the Senate cafeteria, famous for bean soup (but other things available) and potentially great VIP-spotting if they're in session. Kid-friendly and a real tradition, food okay.