DC in August with teens - hotel suggestions?

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Patti

DC in August with teens - hotel suggestions?

We will be visiting DC in August to scope out a few colleges with our two teens. We are looking for reasonably priced hotels that will give us the space we need while being easily accessible to American, George Washington and Georgetown as well as sight seeing. We generally opt for 2 bedroom suites but would like to keep price down around $100 -$150/night.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:04 AM
carolyn

There are loads of suggestion on this board, so you might want to do a search.

As for location, the Foggy Bottom area is very convenient to both GW and Georgetown, and the metro for siteseeing.

Dupont Circle would be my next area of choice, although not as close to the colleges, it offers a lot.

Stay away from Capitol Hill and Convention center areas, they wouldn't be the best location for your visit.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 09:12 AM
E.

I concur with Carolyn--stick to Foggy Bottom or Dupont (which you should definitely visit if you don't stay there).
You may already know this, but GWU is in Foggy Bottom, which has a Metro stop; GU is a brisk walk from Foggy Bottom, and has no Metro stop of its own, so you would have to cab it if you can't walk; and AU, while it has a Metro stop, is way far from downtown DC--allow 30-45 minutes on the Metro. Dupont would be marginally more convenient to AU because it is on the same metro line, the Red line, but switching lines is no big deal. Foggy Bottom is on the Orange line. This may be more than you wanted, but I hope it's helpful!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 09:49 AM
mag

I would recommend the Georgetown Suites. This is where we always stayed when in the area for that kind of thing. We usually stayed in a 1 bedroom suite-parents in the bedroom, kids in the living room on the pullout. They probably have 2 bedrooms 2. Not the Ritz, but comfortable, clean, and affordable.
Good luck!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:51 AM
gail

Go to washingtondchotels.com They have a number of options - most with lower rates for the same hotels than I have seen anywhere. We booked Washington Suites Georgetown - it used to be a Doubletree - for $109 for suite with kitchen. It is not actually in Georgetown, but near Foggy Bottom. Have never stayed there, but reviews have been good. We will also have teenagers with us in August - I can't wait to hear them complain about the heat!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Jim Rosenberg

State Plaza Hotel is in the GWU/Foggy Bottom area and it is an all-suite hotel. I've seen some VERY nice rates for it through www.quikbook.com -- as low as $89/night at times. That would not be a 2-bdrm at that rate, but it definitely a steal for what you get. Happy Contrails!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Jennifer

You should also consider The Carlysle Grand in Dupont Circle. GIt has good rates, decent rooms & suites, 2 blocks from the metro, fun & inexpensive brunch on Sundays.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Ann

I think there's an Embassy Suites on 22nd Street, just behind the GW medical school, unless it's changed names.

I went to GW and loved it, but it's not somewhere your kids should consider going if they want a leafy campus or a football team.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:59 PM
JL

There is an Embassy Suites at 1250 22nd Street. I stayed at that hotel last summer and found it to be great!