Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   DC in 3 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dc-in-3-days-789072/)

2bsmom Jun 9th, 2009 10:21 AM

DC in 3 days

Taking the family to DC for 3 days in July. boys ages 15 & 13. Want to make the most of our time. Any suggestions for making an itinerary ahead of time?

vjpblovesitaly Jun 9th, 2009 10:23 AM

My suggestion is to look at a guidebook and you likely will find itineraries. Also, google 3 day itineraries, look at trip reports here, etc.

tchoiniere Jun 9th, 2009 10:26 AM

Besides go longer? Just kidding, I am heading to DC in a couple of weeks and we keep adding days.

There are a lot of great threads on here so search on DC.

I would do a night tour of the monuments as that would save time. Probably pick 1 of the Smithsonians to see then maybe pick (Air & Space) and choose exhibits from the rest.

Book tickets ahead of time for as much as possible, adding transit time in between. Don't stack them on top of each other.

Where are you staying? I would stay downtown to avoid losing time commuting.

Go to a Nationals game at night.

artsbabe Jun 9th, 2009 10:26 AM

Agree with vjp.... Please post back a tentative itinerary once you do some research. Many of us who live in the DC area will be glad to provide advice.

Frank Jun 9th, 2009 10:52 AM

We spent 3 nights in DC in April. We really enjoyed the DC by night tour, from 7 - 10PM, it hit most of the hightlights and even got out to Arlington, VA. It was run by On Board Tours, they also have a day time tour. It's a very efficient use of time.

The tour of the Capital was very interesting but you might need more time to book the tour, it's generally 30 days ahead.

If you have time, walk into the National Gallery, it's free like most of the Museums, the central rotunda is magnificent. The sculpture garden next door is also fun and you can grab a quick bite in the Conservatory-like building in the garden.

Skip the Potomac cruise, it wasn't very interesting and not well handled.

If you have time, try to make it out to Mount Vernon for a couple of hours.

maitaitom Jun 9th, 2009 11:03 AM

Do the monuments walk one evening. We hit them all the first night (you can do the hop on-hop off bus, but we just walked to them all): World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Women in the Military, Lincoln, FDR and Jefferson (not necessarily in that order). Get in shape. Takes a few hours.

Get advance reservations to go to the top of the Washington Monument one day.

Loved the Newseum. Your kids might like the Spy Museum (very fun and interactive).

Smithsonians - Air & Space, Natural History and American History (American indian Museum was a great place for lunch.

Walk over to Georgetown and have lunch on the river.

I really liked the National Portrait Gallery.

Good Mediterranean, Greek tapas at Zaytinya (across the street from the National Portrait Gallery). Fantastic Pear martini.

TenPenh - The last night we ate here (1001 Pennsylvania Ave). Very good Pan-Asian cuisine. Killer Wasabi mashed potatoes!

((H))