Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   DC Hotel near Hilton (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dc-hotel-near-hilton-384194/)

hleesa Dec 23rd, 2003 04:09 PM

DC Hotel near Hilton

I will be attending a conference this spring at the Hilton Washington at 1919 Connecticut Ave NW. I am looking for a less expensive, but decent, hotel within a 5 to 10 minute walk, where I will feel relatively safe walking back to alone. Thanks.

Flyboy Dec 23rd, 2003 06:50 PM

I regularly use the Radisson Barcelo or the Hilton Embassy Row for such situations. There are several others around Dupont Circle, too. It's a pleasant, safe and easy walk to either.

Flyboy Dec 23rd, 2003 06:56 PM

P.S. -- If it's the National League of Cities Conference, feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected]

MikeT Dec 23rd, 2003 07:05 PM

Everyone seems to like the Barecelo, although if I were attending a conference it would probably be further away then I would want to be. Jury's may be a couple of blocks closer. Across from the Hilton is a Courtyard Marriott.

hleesa Dec 28th, 2003 03:28 PM

Still looking for help on this one. How far is the Hilton from the Metro stop?

Tandoori_Girl Dec 28th, 2003 06:10 PM

In the past, I've been able to get good rates at both the Latham and the Wyndham City Center (both around $80/night). The Latham is a boutique hotel with a lot of charm. The Wyndham is a first-rate chain hotel. I'm not sure how close you need to be to the convention. I can't recall if there is a subway stop there but I'd recommend both of these if they will do for you.

Christina Dec 28th, 2003 06:38 PM

Unless you are more picky, I would just stay across the street at the Courtyard Marriott if I wanted to be close for a convention, and cheaper. The next closest hotel is probably Jury's Normandy (not the one most mentioned on here, which is Jury's at Dupont Circle). That is only about a block away, and very reasonably priced. The Churchill is also right across Connecticut, next to the Courtyard, and that is a higher level hotel, but probably not any worse than a lot of the other mentions down at Dupont Circle. I don't think going to another Hilton will solve a price problem as you probably have a convention rate already at the other one. It's hard to say without knowing what that Hilton's rate is vs. what you want to spend.

Any other hotel down at Dupont Circle, Radisson, etc, will be more than 5-10 minutes away, although not a terrible walk--maybe 15 min. When I go to a convention, it really is convenient to be closer in case you need to go to your room or drop things off, etc.

All of this area is pretty safe, so don't worry about that. The Wash. Hilton is about 4 blocks from the metro stop, but they aren't real short blocks and it's a slight grade uphill going north. If you don't think you'll want to drop by your room during the day, any of these will probably be fine.