Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   dc help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dc-help-316265/)

johnpressman May 12th, 2003 05:29 PM

dc help!

My wife and I and another couple are traveling to D.C. this weekend. We booked the Radisson Barcello at $129 as per reccommendations on this board. Getting in Friday morning, leaving Sunday. So far have arranged a Capitol tour at 2:00 p.m. on Friday and will attend the Marine Corps Evening Parade on Friday night. Want to see the usual; Smithsonian American History and Air & Space, the Monuments and Arlington. Thinking of seeing the government buildings on Friday and the Museums on Saturday. My questions are:

It looks like RAIN in D.C. this weekend, dag nab it! How and in what order should we negotiate the monuments, museums etc. in inclement weather? When should we go to Arlington Cemetary and, what else should we see on the Mall; National Archives, Library of Congress, etc.??

Jon_Eric May 12th, 2003 06:18 PM

Hi, not to give you false hope, but if theres one thing I remember from having lived there it was weather reports even 4 days in advance were almost useless.
I just got off the phone with a friend in NOVA (northern virginia) and its actually COLD there now and will be tomorrow also. I'd also recommend Mt. Vernon which is just beyond Alexandria.

PSpino May 12th, 2003 06:39 PM

Just fyi- I think the Holocaust museum is worth seeing. It is very well done. Sad as can be but very informative. By the way, I live in maryland and they haven 't gotten a forecast right this week! It has been raining alot though.

suesue May 12th, 2003 06:40 PM

I just took my 13 year old niece to D.C. for her Spring Break & the weather changed daily ! Of course if it is raining ...I would reccomend the museums. Another great museum is the Corcoran Gallery ..it is very near the White House. Also, we went to Mt. Vernon one day - it was WONDERFUL...the drive was beautiful and I learned so much about our First President that I was in awe ! We also did the Capitol tour and my niece loved it...much better than the White House Tour ! We ate at two fabulous restaurants ...Olives & Equinox....delicious ! Have a terrific time in D.C. !!!

bardo May 13th, 2003 04:53 AM

Don't worry. Even if it rains, you'll have plenty to do. As you mentioned: Capitol, Air&Space, Amer. Hist., L.o.C. These alone could fill a good part of weekend. Add in Nat'l gallery of art, Hirshorn,Holocaust museum, and some dinners in Dupont area and you'll be short of time!

obxgirl May 13th, 2003 06:51 AM

I think the National Archives is closed for renovation until later this year.

I agree that the Holocaust Museum is well worth seeing but I wouldn't go if I was only in town for a weekend. It takes a number of hours to do the tour and a few more hours afterward to assimilate the experience.

Finally, Arlington Cemetary opens daily at 8 am so you might go early on Saturday or Sunday. The changing of the guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns takes place every hour on the hour (twice during warmer months) and is a very moving thing to see.

Have a great weekend!

provence97 May 13th, 2003 10:24 AM

Will you be taking the metro? If so, get off the Smithsonian stop (exit at the Mall). Regarding the Smithsonian, go on their website to find out the most recent exhibits. The Washington Post website (entertainment section), www.washingtonpost.com, also has reviews of the current exhibits.

Once you get off the Smiths. metro stop, start exploring the museums to your right -

(1) Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery - if you are into Asian and African art, explore the Sackler museum.

(2) The Castle - You can pick up info on the Smithsonian museums.

(3) The Hirshorn - circular modern art bldg. If you are into modern art.

(4) The Air and Space museum

(4a) Walk across the mall; take pictures of the Capitol

(5) The National Gallery of Art (East and West Bldgs) - the East bldg have more contemporary art works; while the West has more traditional works.

(5a) Archives - Not on the mall, but behind the Sculpture Garden (between the National History and National Gallery of Art

(6) The National History - if you are into nature and science.

(7) The American History - worth seeing.

(8) Walk to the National Monument; take pictures

(9) If you have time, you can go to the Holocaust museum.

These are a lot of museums to see. Depending on what you enjoy, you may be in one museum 2-3 hours or half a day since there is so much to see. My advice is to check out the websites mentioned above so that you know which museums are worth seeing and which exhibits are a must see.

Go to the Arlington Cemetary in the morning, either Friday or Saturday.

Have fun!! Make sure you wear comfortable shoes!

Ann41 May 13th, 2003 11:35 AM

It's not exactly balmy here today, but I'd hardly call 63F COLD.

Anyway, forecasts here are notoriously wrong, but it has been raining like crazy over the past week or so.

I'd also suggest going to Arlington Cemetary in the morning.

Unless you're going to see a specific exhibit, there's not that much to see at the Library of Congress.

JaneB May 13th, 2003 01:15 PM

We just returned from DC--stayed at the Radisson Barcello also. It's a great location. Try tapas in hotel bar--all you can eat for $9.50 on Th, F, and Sat nights (I think) Also enjoyed 1/2 price happy hour drinks and wonderful snacks at Mimi's accross the street--from 4 to 7 pm each day. You won't need dinner! The Bagals Etc accross the street is a real bargain for breakfast or lunch.
One of my favorites in the city was Hillwood (with a special collection from the Herimitag).