DC and Northern Virgina: Civil War sites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD and I are planning on taking 3 days in the DC area at the beginning of June, and as she has just finished an exhaustive study of the Civil War, she'd like to see some related sites. I think I need some help planning. We will be starting from downtown Washington. She was interested in Ford's Theater, but it's closed until 2009 for renovations. I have been to the battlefield at Manassas and I know she'd like that, but where else? I was considering spending a night in Luray, just because I love it there and our roots are in the Shendandoah Valley. The caverns might be cool. DD (who's 11 and a total tree-hugger) likes natural, atmospheric places.

Any ideas would be most welcome!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Manassas is great and my boys also like Harper's Ferry - which isn't too far away. I know it's a bit of a drive, but the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond was great.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM

I also love Luray - and really enjoy the cavern... For other civil war locations - check out Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania. They are close buy, and you can't swing a dead possum without hitting a battlefield down there, as well as Manassas...
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 09:34 AM

If you're willing to drive all the way out to Luray (which I think you'd enjoy) and Harper's ferry, you might also enjoy the battlefield at Antietam in Maryland.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Are there any particularly charming small towns or off-the-beaten path sites/attractions that anyone can clue me in on?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:57 AM

I second the suggestion for Harpers Ferry - in addition to the history, if the weather is not too hot while you're there, there is a great hike that it sounds like your daugher might enjoy. The first mile is uphill and pretty steep - but if you bring water and rest frequently it's not bad. After that it evens out and takes you past an old, falling apart stone fort that was built during the Civil War. The last time I was up there, we surprised a few deer grazing around the ruins. The trail also takes you to a gorgeous overlook of Harpers Ferry. The trail is well marked and is about 6 miles round trip.

Charming small towns...I like to drive to Harpers Ferry on back roads, taking 15 north from Leesburg. 15 North takes you through Lucketts, which has a couple of great antique stores. Coming back I usually just pick some country roads on the map and wind my way back - usually stopping at a winery or two, though that's probably not what you're looking for!

In addition to the excellent suggestions so far, Gettysburg is only about an hour and a half/two hours from DC. I am embarrassed to say I have not been there yet in the six years I've been living here, but I'd think it would have to rate high on a Civil War buff's to-do list.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Go to Shepherdstown, WV. Cute little town and just a short drive (5 mi) to Antietam National Battlefield.

Shepherdstown is a university town and had some cute restaurants last time I was there...my favorite being the Yellow Brick Bank.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Also, if you're in the Leesburg area (which is worth a stop on its own), a little further out is Purcellville. Magnolia's at the Mill is a great restaurant in P'ville. In Leesburg, great dining at Tuscarora Mill, Fireworks Pizza, or Lightfoot (which is housed in an old bank building and is architecturally beautiful).
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:26 AM

http://tinyurl.com/3qe7dh
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Sorry -- the above link didn't do what I wanted. There was a discussion on this topic in 2007 that has some additional suggestions -- see #68 at the link in my previous post.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Harper's Ferry (and other suggestions) sound great! Harper's Ferry is about 1.5 hours away from DC, correct? Would it make more sense for us to do that on our first night out of DC and then do 2 nights in Luray, then back to DC to fly home, or the other way around? (Guess I'm feeling geographically challenged.)
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM

seasweetie,

After Luray, continue west on route 211 to New Market and visit the New Market Battlefield and Museum. New Market is where the VMI cadets marched to to join the battle there.

Then take route 11 ( a Virginia Byway) north from New Market and see the Meems Bottom Covered Bridge, stroll through the towns of Mt. Jackson, Edinburg, and Woodstock. In Woodstock see our 1795 still in use courthouse, and climb the Woodstock Tower which overlooks the Seven Bends of the Shenandoah River.

Continue north on route 11 to Strasburg, another small own to stroll through and have lunch or dinner at the Hotel Strasburg. Continuing north on Route 11 visit the Cedar Creek Battlefield/Belle Grove Plantation just before Middletown.

If you failed to eat in Strasburg, the Irish Isle pub in Midddletown has very good food. Our favorite is the crabcakes. The next stop in Middletown would be the Route 11 Potatoe Chip Factory where you can watch the chips being made, taste the samples and buy a bag or two.

Continue north on route 11 to Winchester which is deep in Civil War history. The drive from New Market to Winchester is about 40-45 miles.
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Gettysburg would be my top choice for Civil War, but if you want Civil War and more variety, I highly recommend Antietam to go along with Harpers Ferry.
Harpers Ferry is so beautiful and historic, and Antietam is such a well preserved battlefield set among very pretty landscapes. I have quite a few photos of Antietam on my website at www.oneeyed.homestead.com, if you are interested in getting a feel for it. Fredericksburg has tons of Civil War sites (4 major battlefields), but I prefer Antietam/Harpers Ferry.
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dan - I enjoyed your photos and your site - and as fellow (displaced) North Carolinian, I share a lot of your sentiments on Civil War history and perceptions.

DD and I have finalized our plans:

Friday afternoon/evening - DC - staying at the Renaissance - haven't figured out what we want to do.

Saturday - Manassas, Luray Caverns, New Market - spend the night at the Mayne View in Luray

Sunday - Winchester, Harper's Ferry (hike to Jefferson Rock) - spend night at Camp Hill

Monday - Antietam, head back to DC for 5:00 pm flight.