DC- 13st NW, What's the Area Like?

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC- 13st NW, What's the Area Like?

I'm hoping the DC Fodorites here can help me. Will be in DC for a month and found a short term rental apartment located at 1133 13st. NW between M & N St. It's managed by a company called Attache Properties that does short term leasing.

Anyone familiar with what this area is like. What's nearby and how safe it is? They told me that McPherson metro stop is 4 blocks away. Also anyone familiar with Attache Properties?

The rent was way less than what I would pay for a hotel or even an excutive extended stay type motel.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:10 AM

It's fine. Good for an adult but not really for kids. The area WAS transitional about 15 years ago. Today it's mostly 1/2 million condos springing up everywhere. Heavy gay population (residential only - their nightlife is eleswhere). Some good restaurants nearby on 14th St.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Duh! I meant 1/2 million DOLLAR condos - not a 1/2 million condos!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:13 AM

13th Street NW has cleaned up quite a bit over the past ten years, part of the reason being the very effective Logan Circle Community Association. Ten years ago you could drive north on 13th Street from downtown to Logan Circle and see prostitutes plying their trade in broad daylight. However, the whores have been run out of the area. You will be just south of Logan Circle, an area that is gentrifying rapidly, displacing some of the poorer residents. You're about two blocks from the eclectic restaurant Equinox and several other restaurants (Georgia Brown's, Old Ebbitts Grill, Red Sage) are within five minutes walk. Dupont Circl is a 10 minute brisk walk. If you are working in downtown, you are within 15 minutes of walking distance. Don't be naive. At night, if you are careless, you might have problems, especially if you venture east of Eleventh Street. If you have decent street sense, you shouldn't have any problems. You have probably chosen well.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info, especially restaurants, as I'll be staying nearby at the Wyndham (14th and M) in August.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, especially Bardo. I just confirmed the rental. Your tips have been extrememly helpful with my recent DC trips.

Am relocating to the DC area and in town to look for permanent housing. Hopefully can soon become a DC expert for this site myself.

Thanks!

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Just past your rental this morning on the way into work. You're one block north of Massachusetts Ave. Also, I would add that I meant to say the restaurant Corduroy is nearby, not Equinox. It had a good write-up in the Post two years ago.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:27 AM

How you would judge this area depends on your point of reference. To those in DC, this area is great, especially compared to how it once was. Someone coming from a smaller town or more rural area might be less comfortable.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

I grew up in Manhattan's lower East Side and used to city living. The area shouldn't be a problem for me.

Shane - Did it look like a decent building?

Thanks again you guys.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Looks fine. Gentrified neighborhood. New condo developments nearby. And bardo's not kidding. I do business with one of the developers. In areas that were blighted in the 70s (and burned in the 1968 riots), $ 500,000 + condoboxes are being built and are sold out before completion. I'm flabbergasted.