Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Daytona 500 Driving Route/Parking (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/daytona-500-driving-route-parking-297979/)

alliegator Feb 4th, 2008 09:26 AM

Daytona 500 Driving Route/Parking

We are going to the Daytona 500 for the 1st time and I hear it's complete gridlock to come and go.

Can anyone give advice what is the best route coming up I-95 from East Orlando? Where is a good place to park? Is taking some backroads to move away from the I-95/I-4 Interchange better?

We already resigned ourselves to be patient that it's going to take some time but I was thinking I-95 might be less congested then I-4.

alliegator Feb 6th, 2008 04:41 AM

ttt

RedRock Feb 6th, 2008 05:25 AM

The few times we have driven to the track we have taken SR415 out of Sanford to the Daytona area taking the back roads to some of the out lot parking near the airport. There were shuttle buses to take you to the track. You may want to get a detailed map of the area to assist in driving the back road in that area. Stay off the I-highways they are normally a parking lot. All I can say is good luck. At the very best the traffic will be bad.:D Ill be sitting in front of the TV this year. :)

alliegator Feb 12th, 2008 04:15 AM

Thanks...yes i know where SR 415 is so that might be an option although we are closer to SR 50. So I was thinking SR 50 to I-95 then getting off at Dunlawton and taking local roads around to the eastside of the track. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought of that but I figured if I can avoid the I-4/I-95 interchange I would be better off. In any case I'm thinking it's going to be a traffic jam no matter what!

AnnMarie_C Feb 12th, 2008 04:37 AM

I haven't been to Daytona, friends of ours have been several times and loved it!! If I'm going to sit in traffic, race traffic is the best kind to be in. It's a party going in and it's a party coming out--all part of the experience. :-)

Enjoy a great race!

Orlando_Vic Feb 12th, 2008 05:31 AM

This is not a total solution, but does allow you to bypass the I-95/I-4 interchange completely. It may be of some small value.

From the West on I-4
Travel East on I-4 to Exit 129, US 92 (International Speedway Blvd)
Continue East on International Speedway Blvd., US 92
Travel approximately one mile and the Speedway's entrance will be on your right at NASCAR Drive.

Christine65 Feb 12th, 2008 06:06 AM

Lucky you!! We have been to a couple of Pepsi 400's so the traffic may be a little different. First, I'd get there as early as possible and tailgate--we park across from the track either near the Best Buy or last year we were near a gas station/hotel don't remember which one but it was right near Bill France Blvd.
We came in from the south exiting at Dunlawton and driving up either 5A or 1 then head west on 92. We also found a quick way out which was Bill France north to Mason Ave (430) head east then south on 1.
Good luck--get a detailed map too--we have AAA trip tiks and they helped us find an alternate way in one year when there was a fire on the 95 and traffic was just stopped.