Search

Arlington, Virginia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 08:15 AM
Amy

Arlington, Virginia

This is going to be our first time visiting DC and we are wondering if this is a good, safe area to stay in. More specifically, the area of Columbia Pike.

Thank You!

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 09:12 AM
martha

Columbia Pike is not a particularly convenient location--you'll have to take a bus to get to the Metro. While that's not a particularly dangerous area, it's also not one of the area's finest. Is there a reason you're thinking of staying there?

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 10:53 AM
Amy

Thank you martha for your response.
The reason I am thinking about staying there is that I found a low rate at the Cherry Blossom Travelodge on 3030 Columbia Pike ($64 a night.) We are debating over two hotels: the Best Western New Hampshire Suites in DC which is more expensive ($95 a night) but closer to the attractions or the Travelodge in Arlington. Since this will be our first visit to DC and we are not familiar with the area, safety is our first concern.
We would appreciate any recommendations or comments about this situation!

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 11:37 AM
martha

Have you checked quickbook.com and 180096hotel.com? You might be able to get a better deal. You could also check at the last minute for Click-It weekend rates on travelweb. I really think you'll enjoy your visit more if you stay in DC rather than the 'burbs.
It may also be worth considering hotels in the Rosslyn/Courthouse area of Arlington, which would put you on the Orange line of the Metro.
Washingtonpost.com has some useful info for travellers, if you haven't checked it out yet.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 01:01 PM
Rod Hoots

I've lived in the "Crystal City" area of Arlington for 18 years and recommend staying there. Crystal City is a safe residential/office complex next to Reagan National Airport with hotels of all kinds. Check out Days Inn Crystal City, Crystal City Marriot. Crystal Gateway Marriot, Holiday Inn Crystal City, Hilton Crystal City, Sheraton Crystal City, Hyatt Crystal City, etc. You can take one of our nice, clean, safe subway trains from National airport to Crystal City and then walk to all of those hotels if you don't have a lot of luggage (taxi is about $5). The subway also runs from Crystal City directly to the Mall, Arlington Cemetery, etc.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 02:01 PM
Debbie

Amy,

If you're interested in staying in Arlington, I found some "special summer rates" on the Arlington, Va web site (http://www.co.arlington.va.us/).I'll be going to D.C. in late August (first time) and was able to get a suite for $84 per night, which included breakfast for two at the Cafe restaurant, at the Doubletree Hotel Pentagon City/National Airport. The hotel also had a rate of $69 per night for a single/double. This hotel also offers shuttle service to National Airport and the METRO. A few other hotels had special rates listed there too.

As this is my first visit, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a good choice. Good luck.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 07:19 AM
martha

Amy, if it's not too late, you might want to check out an article in today's Washington Post on B&Bs in the Distrcit. Some are as little as $55 (shared bath).
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv
/WPlate/1999-06/25/065l-062599-idx.html
I really think it's a good idea to be walking distance to someplace nice (in Rosslyn, you can cross Key Bridge and be in Georgetown). Crystal City may be a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there. Kinda bleak.

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 03:33 PM
Bill Irving

I have stayed in the Crystal City area in Arlington a few times. I like the convenience of the area to the airport & to the metro. I have always felt safe in that area, & there are shops & restaurants in that area. Have stayed at the Embassy Suites, Doubletree, & this year we are staying at the Mariott Gateway, we are paying $95/night including a rollaway bed for 5 people. Really like the Embassy suites, the service at the Doubletree was not too good, but the restaurant was good & the view overlooking the Pentagon & towards the Washington Monument was fantastic.